WAG Can someone judge a fhs vault?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jlogym

Proud Parent
My daughter is level 7. She usually scores well on vault but at the last meet scored lower than she has been. I am not sure why? I can’t see where she got the deductions.
Anyone willing to take a look? Not sure if I should try posting it here?

I was a little hesitant to do that, but you are right I have learned from seeing other people’s posts. If it wasn’t for this site I would probably wondering why she did get a perfect 10 .
Hope this works

Do you mind sharing what she scored? I thought it was an amazing vault, but, seeing as how vault is my daughter's nemesis, my version of a low score is probably different than yours!

Do you mind sharing what she scored? I thought it was an amazing vault, but, seeing as how vault is my daughter's nemesis, my version of a low score is probably different than yours!
I am wondering this too as I only seeing maybe a few tenths in deductions, if that.

I'm seeing :
Pike in first flight part 0.1
Early angle of contact 0.1(probably missed by judges, only saw this while watching in slow motion)
Lack of dynamics 0.3
Lack of distance 0.1
Slight arch right before landing 0.1
Extra arm swing on landing 0.1

I think she scored about a 9.2

I'm seeing :
Pike in first flight part 0.1
Early angle of contact 0.1(probably missed by judges, only saw this while watching in slow motion)
Lack of dynamics 0.3
Lack of distance 0.1
Slight arch right before landing 0.1
Extra arm swing on landing 0.1

I think she scored about a 9.2

I imagine you have a different judging system. The maximum deception for "insufficient dynamics" in the USA Gymnastics JO system is 0.3. This would definitely not get the full 0.3 in deductions.

I imagine you have a different judging system. The maximum deception for "insufficient dynamics" in the USA Gymnastics JO system is 0.3. This would definitely not get the full 0.3 in deductions.
Yes indeed, we have modified FIG. The maximum deduction is 0.5, and that is taken pretty regularly. Basically if you, when you are completely inverted, not higher than you are when just standing up straight with your arms up by your ears, you get deducted

She scored a 9.2 which I know is not a bad score but competing this vault for the last 2 years she has pretty consistently scored around 9.6 with some 9.7s so the score felt pretty low for her. Just trying to figure out what she did differently.

Looked beautiful to me. Maybe not as 'powerful' as ones I have seen score over a 9.5? And I'm no expert at the angles onto or off the board, but I know what look like tiny differences to me make several tenths in scoring difference.

A question I have on the landing - my DD says that some coaches tell her to land tall, chest up, with her arms up by her ears, while others tell her the right way to land is with chest up, but arms out in front of you.

I wonder if, because different coaches are giving different information, that different judges see it differently too and score accordingly?

Anyone know the definitive "right" place for your arms to be on a landing?

Watching again she does dive quite far forward onto the table, vs driving her heels up and hitting the table more in a handstand. She also has her head out on the pre-flight and on the table. Not sure how this compares to the vaults where she scored higher but those are things that could be what she was deducted for.

This was in our home state, but she has competed in various states on the east coast as well as Texas and California.

A question I have on the landing - my DD says that some coaches tell her to land tall, chest up, with her arms up by her ears, while others tell her the right way to land is with chest up, but arms out in front of you.

I wonder if, because different coaches are giving different information, that different judges see it differently too and score accordingly?

Anyone know the definitive "right" place for your arms to be on a landing?

Per the JO code: Arm position on landing is "optional." Either is fine. :)

Per the JO code: Arm position on landing is "optional." Either is fine. :)

Good to know! I wonder why the difference in coaching? Seems to be some strong opinions (in my DD's experience) about the ideal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back