Parents Cell phone use on training floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Trixiebelle

Proud Parent
Dear Fellow Chalkbucket Readers, I need your help with the letter I have composed below. FWIW - gymnast is in a L7-L8 training group. Can you help me wordsmith it? Thanks
++++++++++++++++++++
Dear HEAD COACH – I wanted to address a concern I hadregarding cell phone usage at the gym. During the last meet, I observed some of GYM'S NAME’s coaches using their cellphones while gymnasts were actively competing on the apparatuses. Last night MY DAUGHTERshared a “funnyâ€￾ story that right as she was about to begin a routine, hercoach’s cell phone went off and the ringtone was funny enough that the groupall started laughing and she had to restart her routine. Admittedly, I’m paranoid, but I amuncomfortable with this as I feel that not only is it a distraction for thecoaches, but a potential safety issue for the gymnasts.

Regards,

Trixiebelle

quite frankly, i don't understand that. USA Gymnastics has a rule that no cell phones are to be used on the competition floor. i guess some coaches don't give a crap...the rules are not intended for them

When cell phones first came out there was a lot of focus on cell phone etiquette, people turned their phone off to attend any type of class or meeting, they could go hours without checking for test messages.

nowadays people don't even think when it comes to phones. You might be in the middle of a conversation and one persons phone rings. That person runs offa mid sentence to answer it, making the other person feel very unimportant.

People get upset when they are not answered when they phone, they expect everyone to drop everything and run to their beckon call.

Parents who pay for a coach to focus on their child, has to watch their child attempt difficult skills unsupervised while their coach takes care of their social lives.

When cell phones first came out there was a lot of focus on cell phone etiquette, people turned their phone off to attend any type of class or meeting, they could go hours without checking for test messages.

nowadays people don't even think when it comes to phones. You might be in the middle of a conversation and one persons phone rings. That person runs offa mid sentence to answer it, making the other person feel very unimportant.

People get upset when they are not answered when they phone, they expect everyone to drop everything and run to their beckon call.

Parents who pay for a coach to focus on their child, has to watch their child attempt difficult skills unsupervised while their coach takes care of their social lives.

Word!

I teach high school and kids are ridiculous about it!!!! I swear some of them get the DTs when they get their phone confiscated..

We actually had a parent text the coach DURING THE MEET because they didn't flash his son's vault score. Really. Texted the coach mid-meet. I could not believe it.

i've heard this before ^^^. and i think you all might know my response. that app with a Moutza or Italian Stallion sent right back at them. :)

Last night MY DAUGHTER shared a “funny” story that right as she was about to begin a routine, her coach’s cell phone went off

Yeah, hilarious when it goes off right when the coach is spotting a gymnast on a difficult skill.

We actually had a parent text the coach DURING THE MEET because they didn't flash his son's vault score. Really. Texted the coach mid-meet. I could not believe it.

This also happened last season at a meet at our gun. The mom texted the coach during the meet to tell the coach to tell her daughter to do her underarm circle on her second vault.Boggles the mind!!!!

It shouldn't be allowed in the gym either. I know it isn't at ours. You might also want to contact the gym owner, if the head coach isn't it. There should be a policy in place about not using them during practice, for liability/insurance purposes.

This also happened last season at a meet at our gun. The mom texted the coach during the meet to tell the coach to tell her daughter to do her underarm circle on her second vault.Boggles the mind!!!!

Ummm. wow. just wow. Wonder if that mom was banned from meets by HC. I can't begin to imagine a parent doing this.

It shouldn't be allowed in the gym either. I know it isn't at ours. You might also want to contact the gym owner, if the head coach isn't it. There should be a policy in place about not using them during practice, for liability/insurance purposes.

Nor ours. The coaches leave them in their lockers and in the office. But boy when they go on break.....you best not be standing between them and their phone!

Some people are just insane. We had a parent call our HC's cell phone at 5 AM to ask if the meet schedules had come in yet. When my phone rings before 7 am during the week, my first thought is something is majorly wrong.

I have a special ringtone for emerceny calls from my family. I have the phone with me even during practice but the ringtone is VERY silent. It vibrates and I only can hear the ringtone. We already had emergencies in my family when every second counted, so I am keeping the phone with me !

We had a meet this weekend where they announced absolutly no cell phones are to be on or used in the competition area. If a call had to be made or received we were instructed to leave the auditorium. they also told every one that what ever device they planned to use to take photos or videos to turn it around and take a photo or video of their own face and if they saw a flash of light, a red or green power light or any other light source that they needed to turn it off or cover the light up as it is just to distracting for the gymnasts, coaches and judges.

My DD was at a holiday-themed meet a couple of weeks ago, and one of the beam judges was wearing a necklace with blinking lights on it!!

At my meets this season I will be offering to "safeguard" coach/judge cell phones so that they don't give in to the temptation to answer/use it if it is in thier pocket. I will not be taking a sanction violation with a monetary penalty because a coach/judge can't resist the urge to use thier phone.

We had a meet this weekend where they announced absolutly no cell phones are to be on or used in the competition area. If a call had to be made or received we were instructed to leave the auditorium. they also told every one that what ever device they planned to use to take photos or videos to turn it around and take a photo or video of their own face and if they saw a flash of light, a red or green power light or any other light source that they needed to turn it off or cover the light up as it is just to distracting for the gymnasts, coaches and judges.

Several meet directors at meet we went to last year did the "turn you camera around andtake a picture of yourself". I think ots a great way to make sure everyone is aware of even the little lights on the cameras... Still, though, there were those who thought they were above the directions and the meet directors had to give individual directives - "the gentleman in the 3rd row with the red shirt - your camera is blinking. Either fix it or have it confiscated.". Lol

Honestly for me the folks using the Ipads or other such pads to take video or photos are a huge distration for me watching. I really hate them standing up with that big pad right in front of my face. Not the same as a camera at all. very obtrusive to those around the users.

I think the meets should have a camera area where those with the big cameras, Ipads, tripods and all that crazy camera equipment that is bigger than a loaf of bread must be to take photos etc.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's really irritates me too!

Last year at the school nativity my son was Joseph. He'd split his chin open the day before and had a dressing on it, which looked liked a real beard - so cute! Our church is tiny (it's also a tiny school, only five of them in his year, so you can get the scale). There was a guy who sat himself on about the third or fourth row, right on the aisle seat, with a camera the size of his head! The thing was on a pole too, so he couldn't just put his arms down and leave a clear view. I don't have a single shot of my little one, without this lump partially blocking his face.

That was the start and it seems since then everything I ever go to, where the kids are performing, competing or whatever, seems to have someone waving a tablet around in front of me. They're even worse as they tend to be filming so it's not even a quick shot.

It's just rude and utterly selfish not to be at all aware of anyone else's view being blocked.

Oops, sorry, that turned in to a rant!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back