WAG chalk on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

profmom

Proud Parent
Is there some kind of new rule banning chalk use on beam? If so, is it regional? National? And if so, what's the thinking behind it?

In our country, chalk was always forbidden. You get disqualified from the competition, or so the rules say. I have never seen it happen...

Chalk doesn't seem so bad, but I noticed at P&Gs, Riley McCusker (and maybe others, I just saw her) soaked the beam for her wolf turn. Seems unfair for those going after her and unsafe?

All I know is my daughter can not stand a chalky beam. Hate is not a strong enough word for her.

I think they should wear shoes, but I'm a rebel. :D

Just recently our gym made a rule of no chalk on the beams as it can destroy the fabric on the beam, this rule change was made maybe 4-5 months ago??

Our gym doesn't put chalk on the beam. It's messy, can degrade the grip of the beam material as it fills in all the uneven surfaces and smoothens out roughness, and is mostly unnecessary. For gymnasts who really want it, they can put chalk on their own feet and hands.

They said it would void the warranty on the beams.

Hmmm. The same rule was just implemented at our gym. I wonder if the coaches got a notice from the rental company we use for our home meet? If so, I sure hope the word gets out, because I am imagining a not very pretty scene when some L9-L10 coaches are told during warmups that their athletes can't even chalk their feet.

Chalk on your hands/feet or marks for a dismount/series are ok, but apparently it can also make the beam MORE slippery. Our gymnasts who have extra sweaty feet wear beam shoes.

interesting thread. my dd is also super sweaty and has to chalk hands and feet for the beam. i have never noticed anyone just putting chalk on the beam though. i do sometimes see the upper levels put lines on the beam to mark spots. my dd, going into 7, does not have a need for that.

The rule, I believe, is for excessive use of chalk. They are allowed to chalk up their feet and hands, they just can't coat the beam with chalk.
this is what we were told at a meet. My gym does not care but a judge did say to a girl on our team that she could be deducted for excessive use of chalk.

I thought of this thread while watching the worlds coverage. They have both a bucket of chalk and a container of chalk for their feet specifically for beam. As well, the beam has so many chalk marks the athletes have made on it. Clearly, internationally chalk is allowed on beam.

But I don't think anyone in the world uses as much chalk as Sam Mikulak. Sometimes before an event I feel like he should just jump in a chalk bucket. It would be faster.

But, why oh why, can he not manage to stay on the high bar in major comps??!?

My DD says they aren't allowed any chalk on beams in her gym because coach says it damages the leather, and over time makes the beam more slippery. Cannot chalk hands or feet either as, apparently, this practice was resulting in too much build up and a slippery beam over time as chalk was caked into the crevices of the leather making it less grippy.

She has been to comps where this has been strictly enforced, and other comps where girls did chalk up before mounting the beam. Seem to vary.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back