WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We've been lumping "directors" into one group. I do not understand the inner workings enough to know if all these people are on the same level and work extensively with one another, or if they are simply people who manage their piece and skype into a meeting once in awhile. My question being, do all these people deserve to go? Are they all culpable simply because they serve USAG?

Board minutes are available online. It's interesting reading. At their last meeting they had a more than three hour executive session.

OMG I have to get back to my own writing and put all of this in a mental box for a little while!

There I cannot go. No living, sentient entity should have their bodily integrity violated in this way, no matter what they have done.

I do wish USAG had done a purge without having to be ordered to do so. USOC is facing the same liability risk, but they have now put themselves in a much stronger position in the public eye by taking the initiative to come down on USAG.

Agreed. Why would anyone wish this type of abuse on anyone? Why wish for more suffering in the world? No one should be treated this way, and the fact that he abused others does not mean that he deserves to be abused.

Same with Casey Koenig. She is the HC of the Toledo YMCA team. I cant imagine she has much culpability at all.

Exactly. I am all for investigation as the USOC has called for, knowing who knew what and when. I would hope that an investigation of that sort would clear some of these individuals and allow them to continue their jobs. And of course, clear out the bad seeds.

I think the survivors statements should be played over and over again in his cell 23 hours/day. I’ll give him an hour of peace in his day so he can realize how terrible it is when it starts up again.

And don’t get me started on his “apology.” He said he was sorry for “what occurred.” It didn’t just “occur.” It was something YOU did!!! How about “I’m so sorry for the horrible things I have done.”

And pps are right - she asked him if he wanted to withdraw his plea (because in his letter he said he was forced into it) and he said “no.” And she asked if he was guilty and all he said was “you have my plea.” He refused to say he was guilty.

Exactly. I am all for investigation as the USOC has called for, knowing who knew what and when. I would hope that an investigation of that sort would clear some of these individuals and allow them to continue their jobs. And of course, clear out the bad seeds.
And some of those listed on the screenshot were just added at the December meeting (to start serving in January). I just read the minutes of the December meeting ;)

Agree wholeheartedly.

But as a parent who's refused to be silent on the culture for 10 years, and received blowback from coaches (and even sometimes other parents) for simply advocating on behalf of my kid - I can't say I'm holding my breath for sweeping changes. Over the years I've heard stories of at least 4 other gyms, in my state alone, where gymnasts are treated poorly. All hearsay, so I can't say I've been a witness to it directly (although if you watch the non-verbal presentation of various coaches on a competition floor, you could probably take a wild guess), but I have had parents and/or gymnasts express disgust at the way their gymnasts had been treated. All ultimately left those gyms, thankfully. Perhaps (perhaps!) it stopped short of physical abuse, but of course it's a fine line, and plus I believe the emotional abuse leaves deeper scars that are harder to see.

We all know that the surface has only been barely scratched. My hope is that us parents are ALSO empowered at this time to not be afraid to speak up and bring our concerns to the table. Demand that our coaching staffs hear us, and stop acting as though we are insane-crazy-gym-parents for simply giving a **** about the welfare of our kids. Demand that coaches do their part to foster their end of a trust-agreement that they so casually expect from us. Teach them that constructive criticism is, at minimum, not as horrendous as they've decided it is, and better yet, actually crucial to the development of healthy and emotionally secure athletes. It is on all of US to refuse to be voiceless going forward.
This....

Now all that's left is for the boys on the cellblock to get to him. I won't shed a tear..............

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back