WAG Elite level hours of training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD will start training elite this summer, the summer schedule is Monday-Friday 8:00 am-12:00 pm (these are the regular training hours for all the optional team girls), the 4 elite girls will stay at the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays, get an hour break for lunch and rest and then train elite/hopes from 1:00-3:30 pm. The school schedule will be Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 2:45-6:45 pm and Saturdays from 8:30 am - 1:00 pm (again, these are the regular training hours for the optional girls), the elite girls will come in at 1:00 pm to train elite/hopes from 1:00-2:30 pm, get a 15 minute break and then go into the regular practice with the other team girls. My DD will still attend public school (she will be starting 6th grade in the fall), she will get her 4 required classes in the morning, go to lunch and then I will pick her up at 12:45 to get her to the gym by 1:00 pm. She will only be missing her elective courses so nothing will need to be made up. We are hoping that this schedule will continue to work through middle school but we know once she starts high school that we will have to look at homeschooling/online courses.

Dd is at an elite only training centre.
We are told that trainings are split some days so that bigger hours can be worked with less risk of over use injury in any one session.

At our gym, the morning session (meets 3 out of 6 practice days) is when a small group of "elite hopefuls" (none of our girls have actually qualified as elite at this point) work on their elite compulsory routines and begin training up for the high level skills needed for elite optionals. In the evening, the "morning" group trains with the JO girls and they all work on the skills that they are currently competing for JO (eeryone still competes JO). It is nice because both groups practice together every night, which allows for some great team bonding. The girls are all treated the same during evening practice. Every gym has their own way of doing "morning" practices - our old gym had the morning girls doing the majoritiy of their training daily in the mornings, and they would come back a few evenings for a shortened session with the JO girls.

At both gyms, "double session" days added up to 6-7 hours of training a day, and the girls absolutely needed a break. I remember one of my DD's coaches being reluctant to hold a single session longer than 4 hours because he felt there was too much risk of injury.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back