L1: 3 hrs
L2: 4 1/2
L3: 5 1/2 hours
L4: 9 hours
L5: 10 hours
L6: 12
L7: 15
L8/9/10: 18; or, for the homeschool kids, or graduates, 20-30 hours
Elites: (We are so proud of Dominic Clarke, Emma Nedov, Breanna Scott, and all of our elite superstars) 25-35

This from a successful Aussie Gym in Rooty Hill.
So basically a really big jump in hours once they reach Elite status. That makes sense to me. Do you find most the girls start the elite track in your gym around 12? It's really interesting learning how different countries have different models they follow.

As my username would suggest, we’re in New Zealand. My daughter is 8 and has at the start of this year joined a WAG STEP 4 team (which is the NZ equivalent to USAG L4), and she trains 12h/week across three days.

While we’re still pretty new to the competitive gymnastics, from talking to other parents at the gym the hours for STEPS (regardless of age) seem to be STEP 3&4 12h, STEP 5&6 16h, STEP 7&8 20h. I’m not too sure on the hours of the higher levels?

For comparison, when my daughter did L3&4 Squad gymnastics (our equivalent to Excel) over the last two years, they trained L2 4h, L3 5h, L4 7.5h, L5&6 9.5h (Squad in NZ only goes upto L6).
Super neat, thank you for sharing! We seem similar but with more hours for lower levels. It is reassuring to hear though that higher levels can be achieved without insane hours. At least until level 8. One thing I dont like about gym culture at least in Canada is that it's ok to miss school regularly for gym. Some classes scheduled during gym time doesnt sit well with me. Especially for elementary age kids. I have spoke with my gym today about some of my concerns and am starting to feel better knowing they are willing to make accommodations. Thanx again for a new perspective

So basically a really big jump in hours once they reach Elite status. That makes sense to me. Do you find most the girls start the elite track in your gym around 12? It's really interesting learning how different countries have different models they follow.
Well, we have our Future International Girls, who are 14 or 15, but our Elites NO WAY start at 12!! That idea to me is crazy! Our 12 year olds in my area, state, they're in like Level 5! Level 8/9/10/Future International are all around the same age. Breanna is in her early twenties! I don't know if a lot of Australia is like this, but I do know that Australia does Elite very differently to US. Like, compulsory routines in Level 6. Roundoff back handsprings in L5. I'll attach some compulsory routines for any one interested in looking at the difference in systems. (You get options in 5/6, but essentially all the routines are the same/similar.) Also, huge jump from L6 to L7 and 8, at least in my perspective an knowledge. 12 year old elites? Not a single one at my gym! Oldest Elite would be at least 14/15

Attachments

• Compulsory Routines AU.pdf
    457 KB · Views: 58
As my username would suggest, we’re in New Zealand. My daughter is 8 and has at the start of this year joined a WAG STEP 4 team (which is the NZ equivalent to USAG L4), and she trains 12h/week across three days.

While we’re still pretty new to the competitive gymnastics, from talking to other parents at the gym the hours for STEPS (regardless of age) seem to be STEP 3&4 12h, STEP 5&6 16h, STEP 7&8 20h. I’m not too sure on the hours of the higher levels?

For comparison, when my daughter did L3&4 Squad gymnastics (our equivalent to Excel) over the last two years, they trained L2 4h, L3 5h, L4 7.5h, L5&6 9.5h (Squad in NZ only goes upto L6).
Another STEPS mom here. My daughter is 7 and working on doing both Step 1 and 2 in one season so that she can do Step 3 next year. The hours for us are PreComp 2 hours, Step1 2 x 2 hours, Step2 2 x 3 hours and Step 3 3 x3 hours. Not sure what comes after that, I haven't looked that far ahead. The whole doing two levels in one season caught us by surprise to be honest, so no idea

Also Australia obviously. Different state to Em09

Averageish

Level 7-10 - 20 hours
Level 6 - 16 hours
Level 5 - 14 hours
Level 4 - 12 hours
Level 3 - 9 hours

Elite 30-35 hours

L2- 8 hours
L3- 12
L4- 16
L5- 18
L6-8- 20
It's a little high, in my opinion. I make my L6 (next season) take a day off every week or two.

L2/3 6 hrs
L4 -10 max out at 12 hrs

Mine did 9 hrs until L7, then moved up to 12.
Now L8/9 back to 9 and during lacrosse season 6 hours or 3 hours depending on the week.

Current gym: Level 6-8 (our highest optionals currently) 16 hours a week. 9-10 would go 20
XCEL G-D: 12 hours a week (4 days x 3 hours)
XCEL B/S: 9 hours a week
compulsory: 12 hours a week (4 days x 3 hours)

We are from Canada. My daughter was 8. Aspire level. Around 22 hours a week
From 9 to 10 aspire 2 around 23 to 24 hours a week.

Now, she is 13 and HP and trains anywhere from 26 to … a week

All year long. Christmas, summer, spring break…. Apart to a couple of weeks off total over the year.

I have to say, it’s a commitment from her part but also from the parents perspective.

If it can be of any help.

Hi everyone I am new here :) I have been reading over all your awesome threads and have noticed a big difference in hours as to what some of your girls do vs what our gym seems to do. I am in Canada my daughter is 9years old in level 3 doing 16 hrs a week. She will be doing at least level 4 in the fall with 16 hrs again. I know 12 year old girls at our gym doing level 8-10 doing 25-30hrs a week. This seems like alot to me and I was wondering if this is common with Canadian and American gymnastics? Please let me know your kids age, level, hours a week and what country your from. Trying to learn all about this world and realiatic expectations :) Thanx so much!

We're in the US. My daughter is 12 years old and she does 34 hours a week (twice a day). She's currently a training nine but she started that schedule in level 8. Our gym typically does
Level 3: daytime 12 hours or evening 9 hours
Level 4: daytime 16 hours or evening 12 hours
Level 5: daytime 20 hours or evening 15 hours
Level 7: day 1x or evening both 24 hours (an invite option may be given to the 2x program)
Level 8: day 2x 34 hours or day 1x or evening 24 hours
Level 9: 34 2x or 24 hours depending on program
Level 10: 34 2x or 24 hours depending on program
Elite: 34 hours 2x

There are many different options for classes depending on where the athlete is. I'm not sure when our Xcel program trains but I believe they are only in the evenings. I know there is another option for HS girls in upper levels but I'm not exactly sure what that is either. I know several gyms in our area that have the 2x programs with more hours. I wasn't crazy about it at first but my daughter loves it.

Our gym has:
Pre-team: 4 hours
Silver: 6 hours
Gold: 6 hours
Platinum: 8 hours
Level 3: 8 hours
Level 4: 9-10 hours
Level 6: 12-14 hours
Level 7: 13-18 hours
Level 8: 16-20 hours
Level 9: 16-20 hours
Level 10: 16-20 hours

The ones with a range practice the lower number during the school year and the higher number in the summer. We are in Illinois USA!

We're in the US. My daughter is 12 years old and she does 34 hours a week (twice a day). She's currently a training nine but she started that schedule in level 8. Our gym typically does
Level 3: daytime 12 hours or evening 9 hours
Level 4: daytime 16 hours or evening 12 hours
Level 5: daytime 20 hours or evening 15 hours
Level 7: day 1x or evening both 24 hours (an invite option may be given to the 2x program)
Level 8: day 2x 34 hours or day 1x or evening 24 hours
Level 9: 34 2x or 24 hours depending on program
Level 10: 34 2x or 24 hours depending on program
Elite: 34 hours 2x

There are many different options for classes depending on where the athlete is. I'm not sure when our Xcel program trains but I believe they are only in the evenings. I know there is another option for HS girls in upper levels but I'm not exactly sure what that is either. I know several gyms in our area that have the 2x programs with more hours. I wasn't crazy about it at first but my daughter loves it.
Wow! I thought our gym trained a lot. My daughter is also 12 just finished level 8 training 9… she does 24 hours a week - that is the most hours she’ll ever do as levels 7-10 do 24.

Our gym just decreased hours for compulsories and lower-level optionals across the board. L3 is 9 hours, L4 is 12 hours, L5/6/7 is 16 hours. And L8-10 is 20 hours. Elite/Hopes/TOPs have more hours.

We are at a small gym in the US and my 8yr old is level 4 and currently does 9.5-10 hours a week in the gym training, she also does a few hours of open gym every other week or so.

I just saw Coach Graba (from Auburn University) speak last night and was surprised to hear that his gymnasts only spend 20 hours a week in the gym.

Aren’t NCAA gymnastics teams capped at 20 hours of training per week? If so, coaches don’t have the choice to mandate more training hours.

We are at a small gym in the US and my 8yr old is level 4 and currently does 9.5-10 hours a week in the gym training, she also does a few hours of open gym every other week or so.

I just saw Coach Graba (from Auburn University) speak last night and was surprised to hear that his gymnasts only spend 20 hours a week in the gym.

NSW
Level 4 - 10.5 to 13.5 hours per week

I actually feel like this is a bit on the high side for level 4...
That is really average for Level 4 in Australia. Usually 12-14 hoursish.

But the Australian system is not great, we have a lot of level 4’s and Very few level 7-10’s in this country. Progress is often late and slow. Level 5-6 are the peak at many gyms.

Our level 4, is similar to the US Leven 3, but the average age for this in Australia is 10-11.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back