Parents Is this normal? Really? :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2newgymnast

Proud Parent
So my dd is new to team this year and her first meet (really mock meet) is coming soon. As we are getting closer we've been getting more information about team protocol, etc. The (expensive) team warm-ups came in a couple of weeks ago and they are quite cute so no complaints there. Then a couple of days ago, we get an email saying that there is a very specific hairstyle all the girls must wear and there will be an informal clinic to help us learn how to do it (along with a list about 10 items long of things we need to purchase for the hairstyle). Um, ok. Then we get another email saying that apparently all the girls have to wear matching shoes to the meets. The ones our level are going to make are made from inexpensive flip-flops covered with ribbons and bling so the cost is minimal, but still.. I don't know, it just seems a little overboard. They also want to know if we are interested in matching t-shirts with the gym logo and names of the gymnasts on the back.

I'm not really complaining, but I was just wondering if other gyms take this kind of stuff so seriously? Does everyone have to look identical? My dd, btw, is 6 1/2 and is super excited about all aspects of this (outfits, hair, shoes, etc). It's like a dream come true for her! :) I would think once you get older though.. maybe it wouldn't be quite so popular?

Unfortunately, this is the case for our team too - with the exception of buying things for hair because they already come with the (also expensive) long sleeve leo. Matching shoes, matching flip flops, matching hair, matching bags, and a new t-shirt every year (and sometimes two). Also a matching tank leo that they never wear. It was lots of fun at first, but 6 years later I think we are all just a bit over the expense. On the plus side, the actual meets never get boring for us, and we are both looking forward to the season. And I still like doing the hair because it feels so "official" somehow. :) Good luck to your DD!

Yep, sounds pretty normal. Everything identical. We only have the scrunchy that comes with the Leo for the hair, and we just do a ballet bun, but if the gym's chosen hairstyle were different, I'm sure there would be stuff to buy. Be happy your gym chose flip flips that are cheap and can have some growing room instead of sneakers in a specific color that need to fit more properly ;)

Embrace and have fun :D

Our gym doesn't do this. As long as your hair meets competition requirements, you can do it however you want. And thank goodness! What do they do with the girl with hair 1/2 way down her back and the other girl with hair in a bob?

Our gym requires either white socks or bare feet when going up on the podium - which ever is more comfortable for each child.

We do this for our compulsories, but not our optionals. As an l3 and 4, though, we all had matching shoes, matching hair, etc...

Dd's gym does not matching shoes but does mandate a specific hairstyle and specific hair accessories. Team bag is optional but I think all the girls have it. No T-shirts as girls wear their leos and warmups for awards.

DD's gym likes the girls to have their hair all up in buns (although that rule has gotten pretty lax the past few seasons). Other than that, they just have their leo, warmups and bare feet up on the podium. No matching t-shirts or shoes. My DD would probably love being required to wear a fun hairstyle and match-matchy tee and flip-flops!!

It can be quite interesting hearing from new gym moms who have no preconceived ideas or expectations. Yes, all you state is normal. When my daughter was asked to join team about 5 years ago, L4, i freaked at the number of hours and tuition. She went from 1 1/2 hours a week to 9 hours and tuition tripled. Then we got the bill for warm up suits and leos. I remember thinking what are those stinkin leos made of to cost so much. Then came coaches fees and meet fees and hotel stays. Then came TOPS which cost as over $1,000 each visit to the ranch. Then choreography fees, camps etc. I kept thinking these coaches must be millionaires and think I am made of money. WTH Fast forward to present day, I was ecstatic at having to pay less than $400 for leo and warm up; only having two fly away meets. You do get used to it and the coaches are not really making a killing.;)

My youngest just started taking dance this year and is on a dance team. Thought I was going to have it easy. I am starting all over again with sticker and commitment shock! :eek: Over $1,000 for costumes; over $300 each time she competes because she is in several numbers. And she is in the studio 7 days a week. Dance these days is insane!

All sounds normal to me. Some people don't like the strict hair requirements but I think they look great and ready to roll when they are all matching. This is a team sport after all. After the summer of anything goes gym hair we had an event which required the tight, hair sprayed bun and when I looked at my daughter with her hair done in her "competition style" I thought she looks like a serious ATHLETE today!

Thanks for the replies! It's good to hear that it's pretty standard. It's true that as a "newbie" I have/had no idea what to expect and I have been surprised quite a bit already. :) But I'm not complaining, it's just interesting hearing other's experiences. Also, I am a bit nervous about the hairstyle. ;) I'm not the best at styling dd's hair as it is and anything that requires gel, hairspray, pins, curlers, perm paper, etc. Well I'll hope for the best!

I'm terrible at hair and I'm sad to say that I've only gotten marginally better. The first time I did dd's hair for a meet, it took me 50 minutes because I had to take it out and redo it several times before it looked decent (not great, but acceptably decent). By the end of the season, I had it down to 30 minutes, but it didn't look any better than the first time, just faster. This year, I'm going for looking better *and* faster, but I'm not sure that will happen!

This is interesting to read! We are new as well, but we haven't been given all of the requirements just yet. I don't believe that all of the girls have to have the same hairstyle at our gym. What do the girls with shorter hair do at the gyms with prescribed hairstyles? Our girls range from mid-back length to bob style hair, so it would be tough to find something that would work for everyone.

I think when you get to the meets, you will see it is a mix. In our area, there are less gyms that require this strict protocol - maybe 20-30% but when we have gone to meets in other states/regions, it is definitely higher. I also think you see it more in the lower levels. Once you get to the optional levels, the gyms seem to relax a bit.

Our gym is the same way. Same leos, same warm-ups, same footwear, same gymbags, same hairdo. I often cannot pick my own child out of the line up without staring for several minutes. They look like identical .... deca-tuplets?

At our old gym, even warm ups were optional. All one ~had~ to have was the competition leo. Hair was individual, as were shoes. We did compete against teams that were all matched, but I personally am glad we didn't do that. I am not sure how far our new gym takes all this, but I do know that it requires the warm up suit.

What do the girls with shorter hair do at the gyms with prescribed hairstyles? Our girls range from mid-back length to bob style hair, so it would be tough to find something that would work for everyone.

I wonder this myself, as out of 30-40+ team girls at our gym, they ALL have long hair. So the bun works.... for now... I do wonder what will happen when a transferring student walks in the door one day with a pixie cut(!). Will they ask her to grow her hair? Pin a fake bun on top? Not really sure!

I wonder this myself, as out of 30-40+ team girls at our gym, they ALL have long hair. So the bun works.... for now... I do wonder what will happen when a transferring student walks in the door one day with a pixie cut(!). Will they ask her to grow her hair? Pin a fake bun on top? Not really sure!
I remember reading on here one time that a parent had to pin on a fake bun because dd's hair hadn't grown long enough for a "good" bun. So it does happen. So thankful we do not have those strict rules. I know it's just my little hang-up but when I see hair buns, I think dance, not gymnastics.

I definitely think the gyms that stress the "team" mentality tend to require dressing alike. And that's okay. Especially with younger girls, it's important that the girls get in the habit of supporting each other - that they are NOT each other's competition. Gymnastics is hard enough mentally, they need each other as a good support system. If it takes me spending a couple extra bucks to get them along that road, so be it.

Last year was our first real competition season. They did the matching flip flops with ribbon, hair, etc. Quite frankly it was obnoxious. The matching outfits, okay, but the shoes were overboard. It was much like a high school clique last year, with one mom doing matching hair for a group of girls she liked and the others did whatever worked for them.

Grateful this year my daughter skipped a few levels and her new team is close but doesn't feel this insane need to look exactly alike.

Probably partly because the other girls are a year or two older and because it's a small group and are close knit without the extra.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back