WAG JO 4 vs Excel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thank you so much, that is want I wanted to here. I think this would be best for her. They have already started working level 5 skills. She is doing very well all of a sudden.
If she has the option, I would have her compete Xcel Gold for most of the season, but score out of L5 at the end of the season (or the beginning of the next season).
HOPEFULLY, you are in an area where a lot of meets have both Xcel and JO in the same meet. Some areas are like that and others aren't. Good luck.

I was an 11 yr old w/ similar skills, maybe a bit more on bars, but before they had Xcel. If Xcel had existed back then I would probably not have quit at age 12. I was so over compulsories, and even with going into optionals the next year I had gotten so bored with it all. So fast forward one year and if she's only ever known compulsories she may not keep the interest up if she's bored and friends and boys start competing for her attention. I am all for keeping them in the gym through at least early teens. Gym is great for character, time management, and work ethic. I am repeating my lvl 4 with no hesitation, but if she was 11 I'd absolutely support Xcel Gold over lvl 4. She's 11, in a small gym, you are happy with that for now, I would not be thinking about college, highest level your gym has coached, etc. So long as she's safe, happy, and there is concern to keeping her interest through her teen years, then you are golden. If you weren't happy with your gym choice that's different.

If she has the option, I would have her compete Xcel Gold for most of the season, but score out of L5 at the end of the season (or the beginning of the next season).
HOPEFULLY, you are in an area where a lot of meets have both Xcel and JO in the same meet. Some areas are like that and others aren't. Good luck.

Every meet we have been too has JO and Excel competing at the same time. I really love your idea. Thanks!!!

What did the coach say after practice yesterday?

If she has most of her skills for 5 at this point, then maybe the coach will decide that. Does she have a BWO or BHS on beam? No, she cannot skip 5, per se, but she could do a year of Gold, do one meet of L5 to get the qualifying score and then move to L6 with her teammates. She could also do the same as a repeat L4, as long as she continues to training her L5/6 skills. What is the other gymnast who compete L4 this year doing?

She can do a back walkover on the low beam. Hasn't tried the high beam yet.

Everyone: It's Xcel not Excel. Just my pet peeve.

Anyway, Level 5 is a hard level, harder than 6, and scoring is tough. But if a gymnast can do level 5 and score high 8's, she will be great at Level 6 where skills are based on the gymnast's strengths and scoring is better. Xcel is not a path to JO, and the Xcel committee makes that very clear. It was intended to be a track for gymnasts who for various reasons could not or would not compete in the JO program. Now, some gyms use it in place of compulsory then score their girls out of 4 and 5, and some gyms only have Xcel. The scoring is more lenient and the requirements are less vigorous, and you will see that Xcel gymnasts often have pretty high scores.

If your daughter can compete level 5 competently, I would have her on that track. I don't mean she has to score 9.5s on everything. High 8s are often the high scores in Level 5. Its is a good level for solidifying the basics of form and core skills. The judging is just very hard because there are so many places deductions can be taken.

I'm not against Xcel, I rather enjoy watching the routines. I just think that the JO compulsory program is better training for optionals.

I didn't not know that ability the scoring for level 5. I feel so much better!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back