WAG Level 9

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes you can. You may get some compositional deductions, but it can be done. My dd had a girl in her gym who went to Easterns with no back tumbling on beam, and I'm not 100% sure, but maybe floor as well, due to some fear issues.

Yes you can. You may get some compositional deductions, but it can be done. My dd had a girl in her gym who went to Easterns with no back tumbling on beam, and I'm not 100% sure, but maybe floor as well, due to some fear issues.
What skills did she do, do you know?

I have known many athletes who competed L9/L10/NCAA with minimal backward tumbling! I believe the compositional deduction is a flat 0.1 for lack of a backward salto. Adding in a basic backward element (e.g. back tuck on floor, backward shoulder roll on beam) can alleviate this, although you may still get hit with "acro not up to competitive level," or other compositional deductions.

An example of a 10.0 SV Level 9 floor routine with no back tumbling:
1st pass - front full, punch front (+0.1 bonus)
2nd pass - front layout, front pike (+0.1 bonus)
3rd pass - front full
Leap pass - switch side-popa, or similar (+0.1 bonus)

Some videos of cool forward/sideward beam series:
Front handspring - side somi:
Front aerial - front toss:
Side aerial - roundoff:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back