Coaches Meet compensation - How does it work for your gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CoachV

Coach
I'm in my first year of coaching USAG and our state meet is coming up after a very successful season.

Until recently, all of our competitions have been relatively close in location and I was okay with how coaches fees were handled.
However, states is over 3 hours away, will take up two days , and I was just informed I would be paid the same hourly rate for that as well. I'm paid approximately $30 per session, possibly more or less depending how many hours the actual session takes.

I'm looking for a little insight on how other gyms handle coaches fees and compensation. It is my first year as a coach, but I know other area gyms pay coaches a flat rate per session.

Thanks in advance!

I worked as a coach in college and was paid a flat rate of $25 per session (circa 1998-2002-ish). I was also paid mileage and per diem, which generally more than the session fee.

Now, I'm paid $10 an hour with no mileage (but am reimbursed for my gas) and per diem only if there is not a coaching room. The will also pay for a hotel if needed.

I feel this is a ridiculous wage, especially considering how much the gym charges the gymnasts for "Travel" money and how little they pay me. However, I'm coaching my daughter and would go to the meets regardless. This way I get paid and also may get hotel accommodations. In addition, I do not have to pay gym tuition---so it works out to a level that I think is reasonable for me. If I were coaching as a career, it probably wouldn't work for me.

I've always gotten a flat rate for meets. I think between $50 and $75 per session at different gyms and increasing as I gained experience. It usually works out to be a little more than my hourly rate. Not sure I'd love meets as much for $30.

Mileage and $30/session. No per diem unless meet requires overnight stay. Overnight stay - room is covered with a business CC, but any room charges are coaches responsibility. Mileage is as per USA IRS requirements and calculated from the gym as a starting point. Ancillary expenses (toll, approved parking fees etc.) are expensed(submitted for approval and payment) after the meet.

I hope this assist, SBG -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back