1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My athletes keeps on PEELING

Discussion in 'Coach Forum' started by GymnastCoachJudge, Jul 11, 2017.

1. GymnastCoachJudge

GymnastCoachJudge Coach Coach Proud Relative Gymnast Judge

Canada Canada
    I have an athlete, who for months had BEAUTIFUL tap swings. I'm not sure what's happened- poor kid peels every. darn. time.

For obvious reasons, she's scared and honestly so am I. What are common reasons for peeling? We've tried less chalk, more chalk, grips, no grips. She's hollow in the backswing and generally pretty tight (I'm quick to correct if not).

We only have a set of unevens and a set of p-bars, so swinging in straps, on pit bar, or even just high bar isn't possible. She does fine with regrip swings w/bent knees on parallel bars.

What could be going on!?

2. eucoach

eucoach Coach Coach Judge

Is she regripping the bar properly and at the right time? Maybe she is waiting too long now to regrip the bar because she is scared. If this is the case, I would make her swing much lower until she gets confident again and gets the timing right.

Also - how is her grip strength? Is she able to do arms-only rope-climbs?

And....has she grown? Her center of gravity might have changed which would throw the timing of the tap swing and might make her peel if she hasn't been able to adjust.

GymnastCoachJudge likes this.
  3. sun

sun Verified Coach Verified Coach Former Gymnast

USA USA
    Is she young? if her hands are really small, peeling is just kind of inevitable. (I follow the JAOvideo guy's model of either placing a slope mat behind the tap swinger, or always having a coach stand in for tap swings)

Does she regrip on each back swing?

Does it typically happen after a big underswing, or just frequently out of tap swings in-a-row?

4. coachp

coachp Verified Coach Verified Coach Proud Parent

USA USA
    Get up on a block and push her up in the back swing , one hand on thighs other hand pushing up sternum .

5. sun

sun Verified Coach Verified Coach Former Gymnast

USA USA
    this is how I like to spot for shaping, how do you use it as a solution for peeling?

6. coachp

USA USA
    It will calm her down and allow her to take turns safely while you figure it out. Sounds mental to me

GymnastCoachJudge and sun like this.
  7. Scott W.

Scott W. Verified Coach Verified Coach Former Gymnast

USA USA
    We've had a few girls peel off the bars and it scares the hell out of me every time. So now I ALWAYS stand under them while they swing (except for the more experienced gymnasts).

Biggest helping factor I've found so far is making sure toes stay low in the back swing, and grip strength. Like eucoach said, arms only rope climbs or or grip strengthening tools (https://www.amazon.com/Kootek-Stren...&qid=1499983482&sr=8-3&keywords=grip+strength)

8. GymnastCoachJudge

Canada Canada
    Grip strength is good, although our gym doesn't have a rope. I always stand between/under the bars to catch, so she's never been injured; just afraid. Generally the peel happens after a few tap swings in a row.

Thank you all so much for the insight!

9. coachp

USA USA
    Just start standing on a block :)

10. eucoach

Maybe you can get a short rope and fix it on the high bar.....

Also......if you are not doing this already, work on shape changes without swinging a lot. You can speed them up so that the gymnast actually has to regrip the bar - this will also work her grip strength and give her confidence.

Btw, I don't have the younger girls swing more than 3 times in a row unless I feel they have the strength to safely do so.

GymnastCoachJudge, sun and coachp like this.
  11. GymnastCoachJudge

Canada Canada
    Thanks for the input. I don't quite understand what this part means though. Are you referring to swinging on the rope, or a short rope climb?

12. fuzi

fuzi Coach Coach Gymnast Judge

Pretty sure they mean a short rope climb. If you can hang a rope from a high bar, you can still get about an 8 foot rope climb.

13. eucoach

Exactly!

It could also be fixed to a single high bar or a set of rings - then you can get even more height.