WAG New Skills (Tsuk, Giant & Back Handspring)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

myeyeson_u

So, Dd went to Flip Fest (week 2). This was her VERY first away camp. And though she was a little home sick in the beginning, she enjoyed herself. But what she enjoyed most was learning new skills. The guest this week were Svetlana Boguinskaia (she's super funny and I love that she worked w/ the girls on beam). And Brett McClure. He didn't work w/ the girls, but dd told me he was super nice. I don' t know how other camps work, but I was impressed w/ this one. Though they had activities for the kids, other than gymnastics, they still made sure the kids did gymnastics (twice a day). And the coaches she had spoke highly of her. If dd is feeling up to it next year, I'd definitely send her back.

I included some vids of what she learned while she was there. And she took a pic w/ the Olympians, USA National Team Member and the owners of Flip Fest :)

Attachments

• flipfest.jpg
    flipfest.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 67
Sound a like she had a blast! I'm curious about the videos though...how did you get them? Was another camper taking them or was this a parent viewing day?

Wow she did her back handspring on the high beam by herself! Fantastic! Her tsuk was pretty impressive too. I will cross my fingers she gets her flyaway down soon (that was what was holding her back, right?)

@Bess I went early on the day of pick up (9:15 to be exact). Luckily, her group happened to be in the vault gym. So I was able to see her do her tsuk and record it. And the other skills were during open gym, when they show off their skills.

@gymdog Thank You! I was pretty impressed w/ her tsuk too. When she called me and told me she was doing it, I had to google it to see what it was. I was pretty terrified. Lol! And I was and still am very proud of her for doing her back handspring w/out any support. She did it several times. And yes, her flyaway is what's holding her back. She said she did it once at Flip Fest and on the high bar, but fell at dismount. Sometimes she gets it, sometimes she doesn't. I have faith in her though. She accomplished these skills I posted here and I never thought she'd be doing this stuff, this soon. I think she's slowly letting those fears fall to the waist side - minus that darn flyaway. Lol! ;)

That is very cool. I'd love to send DD to Flip Fest since it's so close but I'm hesitating until she hits optionals. What level is your DD?

@Becauseisaid Thank you! And she was supposed to be doing L6, but she's been having trouble sticking that darn flyway. And she was scared to do her back walkover and back handspring on high beam. But she conquered those fears in just 5 days. Amazing! So as of now, she's scoring out of 4 and competing L5. But I'm hoping she gets those skills coach was a little sketchy about. And will be able to compete L6 in Dec/Jan. Only time will tell.

That's a really nice tsuk. My dd has been training these recently and she finds them really hard. She's certainly been at it more than five days in total and they don't yet look like that...

Without going back through threads, was it you who moved recently and your dd was put in excel with a view to moving to JO at the end of the season? If so then she has obviously done what was expected and progressed quickly and made it onto that JO team. Good for her.

@Flossyduck Thanks! When I made my post back in January, I moved from R5 to R8 back in July and dd was put in Xcel because she hadn't competed. And she didn't have a solid kip. The compulsory girls competed in the fall last season at our gym. And she didn't have enough time to train w/ them to be able to compete w/ them. So Xcel Silver was the only option. Now the question lies on the level placement. I'm hoping she can get these flyaways and stick it, so that she can compete L6 in December, vice L5.

I watched her do her flyaway today at practice and she definitely over rotated and landed on her back. Sometimes she gets it and sometimes she doesn't. Hopefully she'll get it before the month is over so she can work more on giants :eek:

@Flossyduck Thanks! When I made my post back in January, I moved from R5 to R8 back in July and dd was put in Xcel because she hadn't competed. And she didn't have a solid kip. The compulsory girls competed in the fall last season at our gym. And she didn't have enough time to train w/ them to be able to compete w/ them. So Xcel Silver was the only option. Now the question lies on the level placement. I'm hoping she can get these flyaways and stick it, so that she can compete L6 in December, vice L5.

The L5 dismount is a flyaway. There are some choices for the L6 dismount, but most girls do flyaways. Are you thinking she will compete L4 if she doesn't have the flyaway?

What helped my DD with the flyaway was lots of spotting, with the coach gradually reducing the amount of help provided until she was doing it by herself.

I watched her do her flyaway today at practice and she definitely over rotated and landed on her back. Sometimes she gets it and sometimes she doesn't. Hopefully she'll get it before the month is over so she can work more on giants :eek:

Seems like a good problem to have :) her swings are amazing for how fast she's progressed. I couldn't believe her baby giant. This kid has a lot of talent. I'll keep my fingers crossed, I know she can stick her flyaway.

No, she's scoring out of L4 @happychaos. That's already been determined.

As far as the L5 dismount, I was unaware that it was a flyaway. That could be why he wants her to polish it. He spotted her in the beginning of learning the skill, and then she began doing it by herself and he stopped. He spots when he thinks she needs it. But it's rare. But I think he feels/knows she can do it. Which is why he doesn't spot her. I dunno. He told her what she's not doing. So we'll see if she'll apply that to practicing it tomorrow.

Is she doing a tuck or layout flyaway? The reason I ask is that DD was doing them tucked at first and it was really hit or miss. The bars coach switched her to the layout and she didn't miss it again. It seemed like DD really struggled when to open up on the tuck but found the layout much easier.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure @lhmom. But from the looks of her vids, I'd say a tuck flyaway....yes? I know what a layout is, and it doesn't look like a layout. I included a couple of vids. - this was when she became comfie doing it on the mat vice the pit; late March. March 28th to be exact.
- This was the one from three weeks ago (May 20th). Similar to the one she did yesterday when she over rotated.
- Same day (coach had her do it 3x. Everyone else did their two and that was it).

Sidenote - Notice how everyone stopped to watch to see if she'd stick it. Then appluaded. Lol! Head was peeking too! :)

Your DD is doing a tuck flyaway. As I said earlier, that was the one DD really struggled with because she was never consistent on when to open up. She says that the layout was much easier because the legs stay straight. She had a better feel for the landing.

I'd say the problem isn't when she's opening up, but when she's starting to tuck. She's tucking very soon off the bar and as a result she's finishing very soon. Like, too soon. Soon enough that she's opened up all the way, ready to land, but is still so high above the floor. Opening up cannot stop rotation, only slow it down. She'll be just fine once she learns to "set" it a little longer upon release. It looks very nice, though. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back