"Press to a Handstand"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering about press handstands.
I can only do a straddle press, not from sitting position. I think you call that half press. It took me about a month.
I was wondering if how many people on chalk bucket can do any kind of press. Straddle, Pike, Planche, whatever.
Please reply back what kinds you can do.
Is there any tips or muscle building exercises that can help me get a full press from sitting straddle position?
Thanks,
Please Reply.

:beam: Can anyone do a Press on beam?

I can do press headstands in pike and stradle if those count. I think they could help with press handstands. I can do a staddle press against a wall, not from sitting. After reading about doing them in watter on here I have been trying to get to a pool to do those. I think they could help you. I would like to do a press handstand mount on beam next year. To do one you have to remember to keep your sholders over/in front of your hands.

I can do press headstands in pike and stradle if those count. I think they could help with press handstands. I can do a staddle press against a wall, not from sitting. After reading about doing them in watter on here I have been trying to get to a pool to do those. I think they could help you. I would like to do a press handstand mount on beam next year. To do one you have to remember to keep your sholders over/in front of your hands.
Thanks for answering. Thanks for the tips, I went and tried it with my shoulders and hands in alignment and I was more successful. I fell over right when I got to the top though. I am so happy. Now for consistency. Any one else please comment.

Thanks,
johnsongirl15

I am so happy YAY!!!!!

I can press down from a handstand to a sit on the beam but I can't go up at all, I'm press retarded.

Well I can do stradles from a stradle 'L', same with tucks, and I can do planches and pike presses from the ground. I'm working on pike presses from a pike 'L' though to.

To be honest, it's mostly core strength. Situps, situps, and more situps will help. Leg lifts will to, as doing them from 'letter L's requires holding up your legs. If you have access to a balance beam, try sitting, stradling your legs across it facing towards the other end, and walk using your hands to the other end. This helps balance and leg strength a lot. Eventually you can do it on a beam close to the ground to, so you HAVE to keep your legs up and tight.

EDIT: and with a full press it's really important to keep your back rounded as well.

Master the straddle-L position. Practice lowering from handstand to straddle-L. Press from straddle stand to straddle-L and back to straddle stand.

Basically it's a lot of shoulder girdle strength and core strength. The more flexible your shoulders and hips are, the easier it is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back