Press to handstand- help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
We have been working on press to handstand at gymnastics, and I have a lot of trouble with it. I can get my feet off the ground, then I can't do any more. I'm strong and I do everything my coaches yell me to do, but I have so much trouble with it. The one we work on is with your feet on the ground. Thank you!

Well presses are all about core strength. Just do more situps and leg lifts and things like that. Also make sure that when your lifting off the floor, your back is rounded, and make sure you lean forwards a good bit. Also, try starting tucked press handstands, then move onto stradles, then pikes as you get stronger. You can also try doing them with a small jump or hop with your toes/feet to get the feel of it.

Good luck!

Do not do tuck press HS.

Find a wall, get into a HS with your back on it, back flat into the wall. Straddle your legs and lower to within 1mm of the floor and press back up.

The farther your hands are away from the wall, the easier it is but it can get hard on your wrists. Turn your hands out to the side or backwards. The focus is not on hand position of the press but strength.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back