Coaches Proper way to remove low bar for dismounts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjunkie

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
We used to do this years ago by using a cargo strap to connect the low bar posts to keep the set of bars stable. Can someone refresh my memory as to how to do this properly (ie: where to attach the cargo strap and any other suggestions to progress a dismount to the actual bars)?

I used to attach the truck strap on the outside of the low bar uprights. This would hold the uprights together so then the low rail could be taken out. Be careful with this method though... if the truck strap fails... the bars will no longer be stable.

I have lots of suggestions for progressing a dismount to the double rails. What equipment do you have... what dismount... how tall is the athlete?

That's a good point about the strap failing! It's a double lay for a 5'9" athlete. It's definitely her height that is causing some extra steps for progressing,

What types of bars do you have onto what landings? Single rail to resi or loose foam? Also... on what setup is she working the dismount already?

I actually installed constant tension cables on my bars partly due to this exact issue.

What types of bars do you have onto what landings? Single rail to resi or loose foam? Also... on what setup is she working the dismount already?

I actually installed constant tension cables on my bars partly due to this exact issue.
We don't have the constant tension cables. They are AAIs and we do not have a resi pit landing for the actual bars, but the single rail is over a loose foam pit. She currently lands on several stacked 8 inch mats in the pit that make it the same height as the regular high bars.

Have you already put something across the back of the single rail bar over the pit to simulate the low bar? If not... then I would just do that. We actually have boards that we place across our pit to create a deck that is in the same spot as the low rail... but it could be done with a simple foam noodle as well. Here is our deck... we usually have another mat on the deck so the bar can go higher...

If you are just worried about how hard the live landing is... then I would just stack the mats in pit in a way to make them harder. For example... throw a couple layers of 8's in and then throw two CLM's (competition landing mats) on top to make it more firm.

Once she can do it on the pit bar with a simulated rail behind to a somewhat firm stack of mats consistently... then I would start looking at bringing it over the the real rails.

You could also use an overhead spotting rig if you have one.

Also... this one is a bit archy... but you can help out a little bit by spotting... not much though...

We upgraded our live sets by decking them up 2 feet and putting resi pits below them... at the same time we installed the constant tension cables. This upgrade revolutionized our training process.

I like how you raised up the bars to make room for the resi. We have put something behind her on the single rail, but it's not really accurate to where the low bar would be. The big transition issue is she feels like she has to slow down her giants between the bars compared to what she is able to do on the single (definitely due to her height).

Definitely try to get something behind her on the pit bar in an accurate spot like a low bar.

I would also try to speed up her giants into something simple like a single layout on the regular rails.

The other thing I would work would be a drill from Al Fong… spotted double layouts into loose foam from only a kip cast handstand. Basically spot the low back and upper stomach / low ribs and try to rotate her more as she leaves the bar. This drill will teach her to flip faster out of less swing. She is definitely going to have more momentum on the single rail… so learning it with less momentum could be key.

Last edited:
spotted double layouts into loose foam from only a kip cast handstand

Here is another version of it... this would not work with someone that is 5' 9" though...

Oh... here it is... love this one... you can really get the tap working in this one as you progress it. Be sure to watch the second video in this one... you will see how the second athlete is really going to have to work the tap to get it to go.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back