Safest path

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
My DD is a 9 yo L7. She has been doing gymnastics for 3 years and is constantly being moved up. She is now 2 levels ahead of the group she started with. Her coaches believe she has great potential and could be an elite and/or even a member of the national team. Now, I don't claim to know a lot about gymnastics but I do know the path her coaches are paving for her is a tough one and requires many factors (some controllable and some not so much) to align before it can be realized. My question is would you let the coaches keep moving her up and support their goals for your DD even if it is very tough and chances are slim, or let your DD progress and stay with her friends and just progress in a comfortable, fun, slower pace? My DD is the type of little girl that keeps her goals and aspirations to herself. But She has articulated quietly a few times that she'd love to go far. I know she misses the friends she has made in the past two levels, but I also think she thrives on the challenges and enjoys being moved up. She'll be a level 8 in a out a month and will be practicing with older girls. Any suggestions?

no suggestions needed. follow the direction of the coaches. and at 9 she is to young to know the difference of what she could do or what she could do progressing.:)

As long as she is healthy and happy in the gym there is no reason not to follow the plan. If you can afford it financially and time wise, and you family can work out how to still be a family then it's all good.

My dd is also a 9yo Level 7, now moving to training Level 8. Fortunately for her, she has another 9yo and and 8yo teammate, as well as a just turned 10yo so plenty of young ones to train with. From your description of your dd, I think it's best to let her progress. Soon enough, it will get hard and she may not move ahead as quickly.

Does your gym have elites? If so, then they surely know what they are doing in progressing her and I would trust them.

As long as she is happy, progressing and still enjoying the sport in all ways, I would think moving her along as the coaches suggest will be fine.

Just a food for thought..physically keeping up with the older girls is obviously not a problem but how about socially? My DD is a 9yr lvl 7 too and I sometimes have issues more on the social side of things. My DD has problems relating with the older girls and their social drama. I just don't think the older girls realize sometimes that she is only 9 and just doesn't get it if you know what I mean. They sometimes cut her out of conversations because she isn't old enough to understand. It is sad sometimes seeing her as the odd man out. This is the first year my DD is actually asking me to hold her back next year so she could be with her friends her age even though the coaches are ready to move her on.

Totally agree with the others--if your gym has trained elites in the past, then trust them. If your daughter isn't complaining and likes what she's doing, and you can afford it--then go for it!

My dd was a 9 yr old level 6/7 in a group of 12- 16 yo girls. It was really tough but she worked through it. Now she is a 12 yo level 8, training 9. she has a girl in her group who is 9 yo, trying to qualify to compete at level 7. I'm so proud that my dd remembers her struggle, and is going out of her way to help and be friends with this 9 yo. There are challenges and differences because of age, but if your dd and her teammates are both working on it, it's all going to be good. The "social drama" seems to be worse at the younger ages around here- girls fight about who is next, who cuts in line- while the older girls say" are you going to take your turn? or get out of the way because I need to practice this" The only age difference stuff is what music, what school, and what TV shows they are interested in. No boys in gymnastics!

Many good suggestions have been said. Just a couple more things I'd like to point out...

Watch for signs of burnout, fatigue, frustration, lack of interest or whatnot. Intervene whenever attention is called for. Go with your gut feel regardless of what the coaches do and say.

Observe other fast-trackers in the program. How they progress and how they are treated when they slow down. Having an elite program means little IMHO if the program is poorly run and it isn't nurturing.

At the end of the day, if she is all smiles, then everything is all good. Good luck!

I disagree with many of the other posters. I have had many taleneted kids that I have fast tracked, and I have not taken into account the social factors, and it has caused problems for some kids. I would share w the coaches that your DD has said she misses her friends- if they have done this before, they should know its important as well as just the gymnastics. Request that she compete 8 but be able to train with her friends, if only a couple days/week. I know I would really appreciate it if a parent told me that. Some kids dont care, but your DD does, so tell them. Having her stick w it is more important than getting to L10/ elite quickly w no friends her age!

Thank you for all your valuable insight. The general consensus is let her progress. So be it. We'll take it one step at a time; keep an eye on her health and happiness. I guess at Level 7, it may be too early to think too far into the future.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back