Parents Social Media Account

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello, I have 2 daughters who compete USAG. One is Level 6 (9yrs old) and the other Level 4 (8yrs old). I have seen many of their teammates have an Instagram account. Is this something I should be doing for them?

Don’t do it until level 9 AND middle school. The awfulness of social media and the actual evil of people who follow these accounts isn’t worth bragging rights, free leotards, reposts by your gym, or anything else. Yes, it’s hard if your daughter is the only one in a training group who isn’t offered free leotards or equipment from brands or getting attention and reposts from her gym’s main Instagram account. But it really just comes down to being used as free marketing for a brand, a gym, a meet, etc. Play it cool, fly under the radar, and let their scores speak for themselves.

@MelPolito Here are a couple of good ones for you...

Don’t do it until level 9 AND middle school. The awfulness of social media and the actual evil of people who follow these accounts isn’t worth bragging rights, free leotards, reposts by your gym, or anything else. Yes, it’s hard if your daughter is the only one in a training group who isn’t offered free leotards or equipment from brands or getting attention and reposts from her gym’s main Instagram account. But it really just comes down to being used as free marketing for a brand, a gym, a meet, etc. Play it cool, fly under the radar, and let their scores speak for themselves.
Thank YOU! I was very apprehensive about this. I was not loving the idea at all.

@MelPolito Here are a couple of good ones for you...

Thank you!!

My daughter just turned 17, not a level 10. Got Instagram a month ago, her choice.

SM s*cks mostly at that age

Hello, I have 2 daughters who compete USAG. One is Level 6 (9yrs old) and the other Level 4 (8yrs old). I have seen many of their teammates have an Instagram account. Is this something I should be doing for them?
I have often wondered this myself. My daughter is a 9 year old Level 5 and she's been asking for an Instagram account because so many others have them on her team. I originally said not until Optionals but now that's fast approaching and I still think she's too young. I agree 9th grade is probably best.

I agree 9th grade is probably best.

9th grade would be too late if they are a high level kid in 7th or 8th grade. If they are a L9/10 in 7th or 8th grade I would definitely get one going.

The recruiting rules have changed... but this does not mean that they are not looking at 7th and 8th grade L9/10's. The rules changed I believe when my daughter was in 7th grade (this was her second year as a L10)... she was already getting fairly massive interest at the time. I didn't really get it because she was just a little kid... but as coach I received many comments from college coaches about keeping them in the loop. We didn't have an Instagram for her at that time... it would have been much easier.

9th grade would be too late if they are a high level kid in 7th or 8th grade. If they are a L9/10 in 7th or 8th grade I would definitely get one going.

The recruiting rules have changed... but this does not mean that they are not looking at 7th and 8th grade L9/10's. The rules changed I believe when my daughter was in 7th grade (this was her second year as a L10)... she was already getting fairly massive interest at the time. I didn't really get it because she was just a little kid... but as coach I received many comments from college coaches about keeping them in the loop. We didn't have an Instagram for her at that time... it would have been much easier.
Ok got it, good to know!

it’s not just having an Instagram account.

it’s about the posts.

If it’s about getting noticed by colleges and a way for coaches to keep an eye on kids “unofficially“.

The account needs to be focused on serious gymnastics, minimal casual stuff. No stupid silliness stuff.

It should go without saying these days (and maybe not) but any young person needs to be incredibly careful about what they post.

Even if not thinking about college gym….. colleges, prospective employers will wander into a persons SM. My husband always scopes out his perspective employees SM presence. Example technically you can’t ask about religion on interviews. And he doesn’t care final hiring decision wise. But even someone with high privacy settings there is a lot to learn. A profile picture, with a religious necklace. Don’t think people don’t notice.

Many of the athletes have a personal account and then a "gym" account.

It's a personal choice... but I recommend that the personal one is private and the gym one is public. However... my wife still removes weird followers off of my daughter’s public gym account all the time.

Last edited:
Many of the athletes have a personal account and then a "gym" account.

It's a personal choice... but I recommend that the personal one is private and the gym one is public. However... my wife still removes weird followers off of my daughter’s public gym account all the time.
Exactly what I was going to say. If a parent wants to allow their child to have a social media account, that's their choice as a parent. In regards to when a gymnast who wishes to be recruited should have a social media account, for their gymnastics, that is that level 9 area.

Just want to comment as a +1 to what others are saying.

Social media these days is for commerce. If your daughter has anything to gain from social media exposure, you should give her the resources to "advertise" herself under proper parental supervision. Please keep in mind that social media is addictive and has known negative side effects—especially for young people. I work in technology and can personally confirm that these systems are designed to be addictive.

If I were a parent I would wait until my daughter was at least 15 years old to have a social media account. If there is sufficient peer (or financial) pressure, I would recommend having a shared account that you could actively moderate.

Just want to comment as a +1 to what others are saying.

Social media these days is for commerce. If your daughter has anything to gain from social media exposure, you should give her the resources to "advertise" herself under proper parental supervision. Please keep in mind that social media is addictive and has known negative side effects—especially for young people. I work in technology and can personally confirm that these systems are designed to be addictive.

If I were a parent I would wait until my daughter was at least 15 years old to have a social media account. If there is sufficient peer (or financial) pressure, I would recommend having a shared account that you could actively moderate.
I agree about social media being addictive. I was asking more as I would be the only one with access to the account. My daughter does not have a phone yet and I do plan to keep that as long as possible.

Just curious - is there any way it could hurt them, aside from social media in general? I have a 9yo L3, and I run an Insta for her - she enjoys when I take videos for her and then she'll choose what we post. But she has no control over it and we're not trying to get anything out of it other than a history of her progress and a little bit of fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back