Parents Age/Level and Path they took to get there

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Son is a gymnast.
  • We did mommy & me classes when he was little.
  • He was in the "gymnastics club" in Year 1 & Year 2 at his school (equivalent to Kindergarten & Frist Grade - we were living in the UK - they only did floor basics like forward rolls, cartwheels, etc.).
  • Age 9 - he asked to start rec classes in the US shortly after we moved there. He did 2 months of classes at a gym that didn't have a boys team. He wanted "more" - so we switched to another gym that had a boys team. He had two classes and then COVID shut everything down. Five months later, the gym opened rec classes back up. He had one class and was invited to Level 4 (now called Level 3).
  • Age 9/10 - Level 4 (now called Level 3)
  • Age 10/11 - (new name) Level 5
  • Age 11/12 - Just wrapped up Level 8
  • Age 12 (turning 13 in October) - Just learned TODAY that he'll be competing Level 9 next season.
Goals: To do gymnastics as long as possible. He will be forced into two seasons of Level 9, then will have up to four seasons of Level 10. He'd like to compete in college for an NCAA or GymACT team.

Hi all! My son is 9 years old and he talks to me about gymnastics. I decided to read up on the forums about it. I see that gymnastics is done from an early age. I see that even from the age of 5.
Please tell me, is it too late for my son to start gymnastics at the age of 9? Or am I asking in the wrong thread?
My son started at 9. He's now 12 (but competes as a 13 year old) and just TODAY his coach told him he's officially training Level 9 for next season. Starting at 9 is not too late for the right kids. They do need to really want it and be intrinsically motivated when it comes to conditioning, etc.

My son started at 9. He's now 12 (but competes as a 13 year old) and just TODAY his coach told him he's officially training Level 9 for next season. Starting at 9 is not too late for the right kids. They do need to really want it and be intrinsically motivated when it comes to conditioning, etc.
Great! I agree that motivation is a very important element. Even a motivated old man can start running

Age 2-4 preschool classes
Age 5 preteam
Age 6 level 2
Age 7 XS
Age 8 level 4
Age 9 level 4 repeat (new gym with high standards for USAG scoring…two 37s in the regular season )

My child loves gymnastics but she’s not a standout athlete. She tries hard and keeps a positive outlook on her future growth. She’s significantly smaller than everyone else…think 9yo the height and weight of a 6-7yo. I’m not sure she’ll end up a level 10 gymnast but for now, she’s committed

Hi I'm new here. I have a son who is a gymnast. After reading all these comments I feel like we're being left in the dust lol.

Parent/Child classes: Toddler-2
Preschool: 3-5 (at 5 he absolutely hated it because it was not a "regular" gym)
Rec classes: Switched to a gym with a boys team and rec classes-he was supposed to start beginner boys rec at 5 but thanks COVID
Beginner Boys Rec: 6-7
Intermediate boys-one eight week session and was invited to team: 7
Level 3D2: 7/8
Currently Level 3D1, with the possibility of moving to Level 4 in August depending on how summer goes: 8 (will turn 9 in October)

I think he would have been younger if COVID hadn't been an issue.

Goals: my son's goal is to get to level 10 but short term goal is to make level 4 at the end of the summer

Anyone have a slower trajectory and still move to the upper levels?

Reactions: JBS
Anyone have a slower trajectory and still move to the upper levels?

My son did old L4(so new L3) at 6, and then did Old L5 (new L4) from ages 7-9. That would be similar to what your son would be doing.

Good luck to him this summer! I love summer training :)

My son did old L4(so new L3) at 6, and then did Old L5 (new L4) from ages 7-9. That would be similar to what your son would be doing.

Good luck to him this summer! I love summer training :)
Thank you! That's good to hear :) D2 was rough last year for my son. It was a bit rocky for him. He did get 3 medals at States though, so he has definitely shown growth and continues to. I'm excited for summer this year now too, to see the kids progress.

Thank you! That's good to hear :) D2 was rough last year for my son. It was a bit rocky for him. He did get 3 medals at States though, so he has definitely shown growth and continues to. I'm excited for summer this year now too, to see the kids progress.

that is so exciting! And boys progress at very different rates. Can't wait to hear how he is doing!

We are from the U.K. so it’s all very different so far.

My little boy started gymnastics at 5, it was just recreational. At 6/7 he was asked to join a tumbling class at the gym which he did for a year. Following a club competition he was asked to move gyms to join their competitive squad which he has been doing for a few months. I don’t know about what level he is on though!

Started gymnastics a few months before she turned 6
Level 4 - 7yo & Tops
Level 5/6/7 - 8yo & Tops
Level 8 - 9yo & Tops B Team & Hopes Championships
Level 9 - 10yo & Hopes qualified (non-gym injury)
Level 10 & Jr Elite at Classics - 11yo
Jr Elite Classics & Championships 12, 13, 14, 15
Level 10 - 16 & 17
NCAA - 18 & up

preschool-kindergarten: on and off preschool classes
(No classes during 1st grade)
2nd grade: rec classes
3rd grade: xcel bronze
4th-7th grade: xcel silver (stayed for so long due to COVID and switching gyms
8th grade - xcel gold

Goals for the future: become xcel platinum next year and try to graduate as a level 7 or xcel diamond

Age 3-5 rec classes
Age 5 invited to join preteam. DD's coach anxiety kicked in and she refused to ever go back to the gym bc she was afraid of the team coach and she didn't like that anyone was watching her.
Age 6 constant cartwheels and handstands around the house
Age 7 return to rec classes
Age 7 broke her arm missed 6 months (at an outside playground/play space not the gym)
Age 8 Xcel Bronze
Age 9 Xcel Silver (season prematurely ended by covid)
Age 10 Xcel Silver (season impacted by covid, limited practice/meets)
Age 11 Xcel Gold but broke/dislocated elbow and missed the entire season
moved and joined a new gym
Age 12 Xcel Gold missed first part of the season with broken foot
Age 13 Xcel Platinum
Age 13 started with diving rec classes (invited to preteam but schedule conflicts with gymnastics...)

Goals: to have fun with teammates, do something athletic, maybe do highschool gymnastics to see if its fun. Shes not in love with gymnastics. Too many injuries to not have a wariness about the sport. We'll see how this season goes.

Last edited:
Pre-team at 4 years old
Level 2 at 5 (pre-kindergarten)
Level 2 at 6 (kindergarten)
Xcel silver at 7 (1st grade)
Xcel gold at 8 (2nd grade)
Xcel gold at 9 (3rd grade)
Xcel platinum at 10 (4th grade)

According the to her, her only goals are to have fun and win medals.

Daughter:

Invited to invite-only preteam at age 6
Trained and competed level 3 at age 7
Trained and competed Level 4 at age 8
Currently training to compete Level 6 at age 9

My son was invited to join boys preteam at age 6, and is currently training to compete Level 3 this year at age 7.

DD spent a lot of time doing bars and tumbling skills on the playground with her friends! In summer 2019, age 7, she did a gymnastics camp and loved it so started rec classes in the fall. By Oct 2019 she had been invited to the pre-team and she kept going until COVID hit. We kept her out of gym until spring 2021 (we're in a really covid-cautious area). From there:
Fall 2021/ grade 4 Xcel B
Fall 2022/ grade 5 Level 3
Fall 2023/ grade 6 Level 4

We lost a lot of ground due to COVID but she loves it and is progressing steadily, we'll see how far she takes it!

I have 3 daughters and all are gymnasts. My older dd has just turned 14. She switched gyms in September and what a difference. She spent last year with several injuries, growth spurts, puberty, etc. She started late at almost 8 years old. It has been a difficult journey. Some of her coaches didn't believe in her. She was a level 4 at 8, level 5 at 9, level 7 at 11, level 8 at 12 and level 9 at 13. Level 9 season was not good at all. But this year she is in a great place with great coaches and she will be competing L10.

So here’s my girl’s time line
Kindergarten: Rec Classes/pre-team
1st grade: level 3
2nd grade: Level 4
3rd grade: Level 5
4th grade: Level 6
Currently in 5th grade and a level 7.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back