This might be a dumb question ...

• Thread starter Magnificent7_Fan
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Magnificent7_Fan

Hiya everyone.

So to make a long life story short it goes like this. I was all set to start Gymnastics at 9. I needed surgery for my heart. Dr's cleared me, then life got in the way and time passed. I started college but then again this thing called life happened. So here's my question. Im 29 right now. If I enroll in college again, and assume for a second I meet the Gymnastics Level Requirements that Im sure college's and universities has (Rutgers in NJ Specifically) Assume for a second I am at that level in skills that I need to be at. I also am assuming you have to try out for the team.

!) Is there an age limit to NCAA Competitions?
2) Does it depend on the school?
3) Is each school different or o they all have to follow the same, for lack of a better term- admissions ( no pun I swear :)
4) HYPOTHETICALLY speaking. Could a 29 year old be on a college team?

I am sorry if this seems dumb to ask, but It just popped into my brain and I had to know. I hope you dont mind :)

Thanks

4) HYPOTHETICALLY speaking. Could a 29 year old be on a college team?

AllOtherSports: Any participation in organized sports competition during each 12-month period after your 21st birthday and before initial full-time enrollment in a college or university shall count as one year of varsity competition (no academic year in resident requirement).

So, it sounds like you'd be fine if you haven't been doing club gymnastics for the last few years. If you have, then you've been using your eligibility.

I started college but then again this thing called life happened
I believe there is a time restriction related to the first time you enroll full time (12 or more hours) in school, but I can't find a statement verifying this on the NCAA website.

Im sorry to be a pain, but to the first thing you said. about being over 21. I dont mean to again sound like an idiot, but how does one compete in NCAA competitions if they aren't in college? I get that once you enroll., and lets say for example Rutgers and lets say for example they say you have to take X amount of school hours to do your sport/maintain gpa blah blah. That I would expect.

I guess my new question sounds worse than my original one. If I am understanding you correctly, All I would need is a few years at a club to fulfill eligibility requirements? Im sorry If Im missing something. Ive actually been up for the past 24 hours haha. :)

I don't knowvery much about NCAA, but the ruleposted above is not talking about competing NCAA, but in any organized sports competition after 21. So let's say you play tennis, and you competed in tennis tournaments organized by the USTA after you turned 21, but before you enrolled in college. That would count against your elegibility. So if you haven't competed in organized gymnastics competitions over the past 8 years you haven't used up any of your elegibiliy. Since you did go to college before however, that might change things. Good luck to you!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh haha :) Gotcha. So I am guessing AAU will be my best bet to compete at my age?

Rutgers does have a club team as well, not sure how your age/experience would factor into that, but it's something you could look into.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back