Parents Video taping other gymnasts - awards question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi All,

I read the thread about video taping other gymnasts, which was a really interesting discussion. It brought another thought to mind. I tape only my DD during the competitions, but I also tape awards. I usually start recording where she gets placed, and then stop at the salute, for each event. Of course, any gymnasts who placed above my child is also being taped. When I edit the videos, I usually add the awards segment at the end. I am concerned about taping these other gymnasts, especially because their first and last names, team name, etc. is being called out. A lot of these girls are from other gyms, and I don't know who the parents are. Should I not post these awards videos on youtube? What do you think?

MamaofEnS

I think it depends on what you do with the videos. If you keep them for yourself and your only show them to family and friends, then I don't see any reason not to include them all. If you were to post the video to the web then you might want to edit out the awards part and just post your dd's scores as text. On the other hand, most gyms do post meet results on their websites, so I guess you could say it is all public information.

I was actually thinking about this last night as we uploaded video of our daughter's first meet from our video camera. With a situation like this it is almost impossible not to get other gymmies on film. I do see a lot of videos with the text at the end with scores and I also see a lot of videos just flash pictures of their gymmies on the podium at the end with the scores. I feel like taking video of your gymmie in this situation is with good intentions so I wouldn't have a problem with my daughter being one of the girls from another gym on your video.

I don't know that there is a cut and dried answer. I know that I am very careful about posting my own daughter on the web and I don't appreciate it when I find random pictures of her show up on Facebook or the like. I would also not appreciate videos of her with her full name and location being shown on something like YouTube. You'll notice that even my avatar is only of her and not very close up. No real identifying information.

I guess if you aren't sharing the link with the public and restricting it to just yourself and a few other people, it would be different. And different people have different tolerance levels of this issue.

I would rather err on the side of caution just out of respect for those who don't want their kids too exposed to so many people. But then, I've been told I'm a bit overprotective against the perverts of the world (not sure yet how that is).

I would say go ahead and show the awards but maybe do music during it so you cannot hear the names and gyms called out and put in text "Sally 1st. place beam 9.5" or whatever for people to see.

I usually just take a picture of the awards (when they salute) and put that in the video. That way no names are given but you still have a "memento" of the awards ceremony.

Well I know I don't like the idea of others using my childs image without my consent on the web, however I also know that we all have to accept the fact that these meets are open to the public to view, photograph and video. Every parent out there or any meet attendee that attends will have photos and videos of my child especially if they are near their child or if they are in the awards ceremonies. Its all part of compeating in a meet that allows photos and videoing by the attendees.

Are the meets going to collect every camera from every attendee and review all the photos and videos taken to make sure only your child is on your camera? No of course not. Nor can we expect the meets, clubs or USAG to monitor Youtube, or any of those other social networks and censor what is posted.

We may not like it but with the technology out there today there really isn't alot we can do. I am assuming that anyone that accepts to be part of a meet also accepts the fact that the public is taking images and will put it out there on the internet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back