Parents What would you do? (teams and skipping levels)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ok after seeing the video, you need to discuss with the coaches or change gyms. she has talent

Thanks, Riley. I did always think she had potential if she would be given the opportunity and trained in those skills, but we'll see what the coaches say at her evaluation on Thursday. Perhaps they will think she should go into level 3 next year (which will be the new level 2) in which case, I guess her current gym has it right, at least tight now . . . though I do think if they had moved her last summer she'd be doing fine in level 3 now and ready to move to level 4. Can't go back in time, though.

Thanks, Riley. I did always think she had potential if she would be given the opportunity and trained in those skills, but we'll see what the coaches say at her evaluation on Thursday. Perhaps they will think she should go into level 3 next year (which will be the new level 2) in which case, I guess her current gym has it right, at least tight now . . . though I do think if they had moved her last summer she'd be doing fine in level 3 now and ready to move to level 4. Can't go back in time, though.

She's very strong for her age. Coaches like to see that.

If she can get all the skills, I don't see any reason why the new gym would insist on having her in (current) L3. This isn't a level that they have to score out of, afterall.

At 6 years old, she can certainly compete the current level 4. I would be asking if she can also work TOPS skills, as she appears to be a good candidate for the program. You seem motivated in supporting her in this sport, so if you can afford it and have the family time to devote to the competitive side of the sport, then I would encourage you to seek the best possible program now. The earlier you begin setting a foundation, the more opportunities she will have if she so chooses.

Thanks! this helps a lot. The new gym has TOPS--we're interested! Her old (well, current) gym did not. I love love love her gym now, the people there, the moms there. it's hard to move. but as far as what is best for her gymnastics, maybe this move is a good thing for her. Wish us luck for Thursday. Daughter really has her heart set on learning the current level 4 skills (or improving the skills she knows), but there's no promises. We'd have to see how she does at her eval and who knows what these coaches will be looking for.

I watched the video; she is adorable! I have a daughter of similar age. I am surprised they would waste ANY time with competing level 2 with her, and I definitely wouldn't have her compete level 3! Maybe it's different in your area of the country, but here those are not 'real' levels and I'm sure she will catch on the level 4 or level 5 skills quickly. My DD started at level 4 and I don't feel like she missed anything by not doing the others, she just had more time to work on upper level skills.

I watched the video; she is adorable! I have a daughter of similar age. I am surprised they would waste ANY time with competing level 2 with her, and I definitely wouldn't have her compete level 3! Maybe it's different in your area of the country, but here those are not 'real' levels and I'm sure she will catch on the level 4 or level 5 skills quickly. My DD started at level 4 and I don't feel like she missed anything by not doing the others, she just had more time to work on upper level skills.

Agreed about those developmental levels. My DD started with level 4 at 6 years old and would have done level 5 at 6 but they aren't allowed to compete level 5 until they are 7. Through TOPS training and amazing coaching, she is a successful 8 year old finishing her level 7 season and a member of the TOPS national team. I am not bragging but showing you that she is at a good age for her goals to be considered in the decision. It is certainly not too late if she competes the lower developmental levels at her age, but they may not be necessary either.

Agreed about those developmental levels. My DD started with level 4 at 6 years old and would have done level 5 at 6 but they aren't allowed to compete level 5 until they are 7. Through TOPS training and amazing coaching, she is a successful 8 year old finishing her level 7 season and a member of the TOPS national team. I am not bragging but showing you that she is at a good age for her goals to be considered in the decision. It is certainly not too late if she competes the lower developmental levels at her age, but they may not be necessary either.

That is so awesome! And hey, even if you were bragging, I wouldn't blame you. Your daughter worked hard to get where she is and is very talented. It'd be weird if you WEREN'T proud of her for that!

Thanks! I swear, sometimes I think the gym she is at now is the only gym on the planet that wouldn't have put her in level 3 after last summer. I just don't get it :(

Just bid them farewell and enjoy the new opportunities at the new gym. A "system" is great, but it isn't 1-size-fits-all. There are sometimes very good reasons to make exceptions and if they can't/won't do that, then you need to find a gym that will put her in the right level group. Good luck!

OP, I am jealous of you, that you get to watch your kiddo's practice in such great detail. I have no idea where my daughter is on most things as we are not allowed to watch at all. Must just trust coaches. Hoping they are right.

If you're saying "competitive level" during the first 3-4 years isn't nearly as important as the quality of the training and the long term view...... Well scoot over and make room for me in that car. Heck, I'll even drive if you let me. If you say the last 3-4 years are when you want to have it all together, I just may let you do the gas and brake while I steer.

That is so awesome! And hey, even if you were bragging, I wouldn't blame you. Your daughter worked hard to get where she is and is very talented. It'd be weird if you WEREN'T proud of her for that!

If everyone was as generous and supportive as this, there would be no such thing as bragging, the CGM's would slowly fade into the 2020's, and maybe we could solve that world peace problem by the end of next week.

OP, I am jealous of you, that you get to watch your kiddo's practice in such great detail. I have no idea where my daughter is on most things as we are not allowed to watch at all. Must just trust coaches. Hoping they are right.

The gym is geared toward many recreational classes. The teams are great, but they have way more rec classes/kids than team classes. (Even when they have a big team, they still squish them all into 1-2 classes. The levels 5-10 practice together because I guess they don't have enough girls to split them into more groups.

I have no idea how the new gym is set up. We'll see thursday :) But most likely, even if I can watch at the new gym, with the new hours I'll probably only be there for a little for drops offs and pick ups, unless I start doing my work there LOL

Ok, technically, the first required level of competition is Level 5. When the levels change, it will be NEW Level 4. Get her the extra training over the summer and see if she can go straight into that. It would mean a RO 2 BHS on floor... a cartwheel on beam, and a kip and a squat on on bars. From what I have seen, they are removing the Front Hip Circle from that level. This will only work if she is an older 6. You can't compete NEW Level 4 unless you are 7. The same beam dismount she would need for old level 4, held longer will be the dismount for NEW 4.

She should at least get to skip to NEW 3 (current 4), but see what she can do over the summer. She might just make it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back