WAG Xcel Nationals for 2018?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

And is it legit? What is 360Sports?
360 Sports is a company that hosts sporting events. They just hosted the USAG Region 4 Xcel Championships on April 21-23, 2017.

As for if it is legit, The logo says it is a USAG Sanctioned event, so if it isn't, USAG will let us know
xcel nationals.jpg

interesting. Considering it is next to impossible to qualify for regionals in region 6, I wonder how they will qualify for this.
Of course any score could be hard to achieve for a particular gymnast, at any hours. That was not the discussion and is not what I said. You said about the qualifying process for regionals, "Regionals are extremely competitive". I was responding to that, laying out the qualifying process for Region 1, where 97% to 98% of xcel gymnasts who attempt to qualify to regionals do so. I would not consider that to be a very competitive qualifying process compared to what another poster laid out as happening in Region 6, and is all I was trying to say.

Yes, I'm in region 6 and if someone makes regionals, it's a huge deal - we have a mini party, and everyone is super excited!

However, usually the qualifying score (and obviously it changes a little, but in general) is 37.3-7

So, imagine if you can't even get to regionals to even TRY to get to nationals - how is that fair compared to, say, region 1, where you go to regionals if you have a 32 or above (?).

Sort of like gerrymandering :D

I just think it should be a score at states or maybe regionals, or something. I don't have a solution, but like I said, it's INCREDIBLY hard to qualify for regionals here, and if the qualifications is based off of regionals.... :/

Also, I think it should only be for platinum and diamond. Before that, like others said, just why.

Anyway......

(Just to give you an idea of the people who go to regionals - only the top 35 made it. Lowest qualifying score last year was 37.1....)

Folks -

This is for 2018, not this year. I am looking at the sanction now and it is calling this an "Invitational" meet.

Let me also say, people can call a meet whatever they want to call it; I have my doubts about this being anything more than another invitational Xcel meet. A few years ago I remember a "national championship" meet for level 4. It was just another meet with a fancy label that was to be held at Disney World.

I would advice everyone to consider the "U.S.A Championships" label with a huge grain of salt. In the current USAG Rules and Policies there is no documented path for Xcel beyond State/Regional levels.

Seiverville is probably a very nice place to visit that time of year if you're into the Smoky Mountains. Just sayin'...
July in the Smokies...I'm guessing 90 degrees, 85% humidity with chance of thunderstorms. I'm sure it's gorgeous, but can we go in February instead? I'd prefer the snow to the humidity.

July in the Smokies...I'm guessing 90 degrees, 85% humidity with chance of thunderstorms. I'm sure it's gorgeous, but can we go in February instead? I'd prefer the snow to the humidity.
I stayed in Asheville last August and the evenings were cooler. That's where I was coming from.

IMO in my region something like this would lead to gyms sandbagging their level 9/10's into Xcel so that they can brag about national qualifiers. If they were allowed to qualify and do it after all the JO dates were over, I wouldn't put that past them either.

We went to a meet this past February (Make it Count Classic) and stayed at the Dollywood Resort...it was really nice!! No snow though.

If this does become endorsed by USAG, or USAG does something more official, I wonder if the process of qualifying to regionals will even out across the states. I'm in region 6, so if this does become a "real" thing, I personally would like a more level playing field.

IMO in my region something like this would lead to gyms sandbagging their level 9/10's into Xcel so that they can brag about national qualifiers. If they were allowed to qualify and do it after all the JO dates were over, I wouldn't put that past them either.
But then the L9/10's would have to forgo States. You can't compete both Xcel State and JO State in the same season.

I know it is an Invitational meet, that is how YMCA Nationals is for L1-7 and XS, XG, XP, and XD. For those levels, at Y Nationals, they do not crown "National Champions" but the winners can call themselves whatever they want.

Bumping this back up...I saw a Facebook post today from Region 8 USAG that reads as follows...

You have probably received emails regarding an Xcel USA Championship meet. THIS MEET IS NOT ENDORSED byUSA Gymnastics. There is NOT an Xcel National Championship meet. Douglas Jonuska (the meet host) is not abiding by USA Gymnastics guidelines and procedures. Everyone needs to be aware!

Just wanted to pass this along so everyone would know!

Bumping this back up...I saw a Facebook post today from Region 8 USAG that reads as follows...

You have probably received emails regarding an Xcel USA Championship meet. THIS MEET IS NOT ENDORSED byUSA Gymnastics. There is NOT an Xcel National Championship meet. Douglas Jonuska (the meet host) is not abiding by USA Gymnastics guidelines and procedures. Everyone needs to be aware!

Interesting! Thank you, good info.

What's the point of such an email? If the host gym isn't abiding by usag's rules can't they just pull the sanction and the meet dies?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back