WAG 12 balance beam skills no one performs in 2024

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
It’s so interesting how the code of points guides (dictates?) gymnastics trends. My only complaint is that in recent years, athletes have been incentivized to construct the “easiest hardest” routines—which is not necessarily a problem, except that some skill values are inflated. Gaming the code of points produces a lot of uncreative routine constructions. The wolf turn is the most glaring example of how the current rules stunts the artistry of our sport. I wish we could have a code of points that enables a wider range of optimal routine constructions.

I get a bit cranky when non gymnastics fans sigh over old routines on social media and then bang on about how gymnastics isn’t that interesting anymore - too much power, no creativity. I think there are still many artistic routines out there on vault, beam and bars. In fact I can list recent favourites off the top of my head. But, (except maybe at the Euros) the genuinely artistic routines don’t tend to end up on the podium. However the ones that do make the podium are genuinely breathtaking in their level of difficulty which makes up for generic routine construction.

Having said that, I do agree that the code currently incentivises a very specific type of routine on beam and bars now. I don’t mind the wolf turn - I think it’s the D-score incentive to connect out of everything that stifles creativity on both beam and bars at elite level.

What I would like to see is a D-score incentive for an actual mount on bars. Don’t just kip up, make it artistic!

It’s so interesting how the code of points guides (dictates?) gymnastics trends. My only complaint is that in recent years, athletes have been incentivized to construct the “easiest hardest” routines—which is not necessarily a problem, except that some skill values are inflated. Gaming the code of points produces a lot of uncreative routine constructions. The wolf turn is the most glaring example of how the current rules stunts the artistry of our sport. I wish we could have a code of points that enables a wider range of optimal routine constructions.

I agree with you! I have actually come to dislike the wolf turn, immensely.

Aargh, just looked at my post again and wish there was an edit button. Artistic routines on floor, beam and bars I meant, not vault! Haven’t seen any artistic creative vaults. At least not intentional ones!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back