Parents 1st gymnastics injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

clrmom

Proud Parent
My dd has her first real gymnastics injury. She hit her foot on the beam this week and has two buckle fractures in her foot. :eek:(I guess these are pretty common in children) We haven't seen the ortho yet (went to a pediatric urgent care today). I didn't take her right away to the doctor because I just thought it was sore/bruised as there wasn't any swelling or anything. When she still wouldn't put pressure on it after a couple days, I knew something must be wrong. Now I feel bad for not having figured it out sooner.

Anyway, the doctor today said it would be about 4 weeks which will probably put her at missing 1 meet. She is already antsy after one day with the crutches so I am sure it will feel like a really long 4 weeks. Usually when she gets home from school, she has to do a handstand or cartwheel right away and always says "I have wanted to do that all day!" 4 weeks of no handstands or cartwheels may just be pure torture for her.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with those that I knew would understand.

Awww, I hope she gets better soon. I just went through my dd's first real injury so I understand. Three weeks in a cast. She has her final evaluation on Monday to return to full activity. I hope the time goes quickly for her.

I am right there with you, my dd just completed her first week in her cast for a fractured hand and she is going stir crazy to be able to tumble and do bars again. Wishing you speedy healing.

Thanks. Hope your dd has speedy healing too!

I am right there with you, my dd just completed her first week in her cast for a fractured hand and she is going stir crazy to be able to tumble and do bars again. Wishing you speedy healing.

Hope healing goes well and she doesn't get too antsy!

HaHa...too late she is already antsy after a day...but thanks!:)

Healing fairies being sent. You might get a different story from the ortho---bad or good since many times the quality of x-rays done at the urgent care isn't the best and those docs have limited ortho experience.

hopefully the ortho will put her in a boot so that she doesn't have to use the crutches. It really depends on where the breaks are. Don't get down on yourself about not taking her right away. dd had a buckle break in her wrist a few years ago and the dr said that most parents wait on these types of breaks because there aren't many pressing symptoms that would make you think it is an emergency. Given the nature of the buckle break, a few days doesn't make a difference in treatment and can actually help with the diagnosis because it doesn't always show on xrays down immediately after the break due to inflammation in the area.

Be sure to ask your ortho for time lines of cast, walking, light work outs and full training. dd had 4 wks of casting then another 4 of light work out before she was allowed to get back to full training/competition.

Thanks for the information and support. It helps to know what questions to ask in this situation. :)
hopefully the ortho will put her in a boot so that she doesn't have to use the crutches. It really depends on where the breaks are. Don't get down on yourself about not taking her right away. dd had a buckle break in her wrist a few years ago and the dr said that most parents wait on these types of breaks because there aren't many pressing symptoms that would make you think it is an emergency. Given the nature of the buckle break, a few days doesn't make a difference in treatment and can actually help with the diagnosis because it doesn't always show on xrays down immediately after the break due to inflammation in the area.

Be sure to ask your ortho for time lines of cast, walking, light work outs and full training. dd had 4 wks of casting then another 4 of light work out before she was allowed to get back to full training/competition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back