2011-2012 USAG Rules and Policies Update on Cell Phones

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

boy I don't know how my mom did it?? She raised 2 kids before cell phones were even an idea and some how she knew where we were. some how we managed to get picked up on time, some how at sporting events we lived, she lived without a phone call or a text. seriously folks you can't make it for a few hours without being in contact with your kid, coach or someone else? Turn them off and enjoy the meet. Your coach doesn't need to give a play by play to anyone and having younger gymnasts is not a reason for a phone call. Unless you are a doctor on call I really don't see a need for any cell phone communication during a meet.

I have a cell phone but it goes OFF during a meet or any event my kids are in and who ever is calling me can wait until I am done at the meet. It really is OK to let them wait until later. I don't think anyone has that important a phone call coming in (unless you are a DR or maybe and emergency person) that it can't wait until you are done with the meet.

If you really can't wait then take it outside or into the lobby - I don't want to hear your call. Texting is just as bad - yes I cant hear the texting message but I can hear your comments to the texts you are getting and honestly some of those comments are meant for truckers.

My son (now 19) didn't get a cell phone until he got his license at 17. So now that he has it he isn't addicted to texting or making calls. He manages day to day without hardly using it at all.

My DD (14yo) wants a cell because all her friends have them and have had them along time now but nope when she gets her lic is when she will get hers.

Until then where are they going to be that there isn't a phone, another adult or myself for her to contact if she needs something or its an emergency?

Sorry I just don't believe people need to be in that much contact 24/7. Before Cell phones the world survived and functioned.

Ok off my soap box now.

I was at a large meet a couple years ago when the meet director was on the phone (appeared to be urgent) and was walking very quickly across the competition floor during event warm-ups to the sound booth. He walked right in front of my daughter's friend running down the vault runway because he was distracted by the problem he was dealing with on the phone and did not look carefully enough before crossing the vault runway. Fortunately the girl was able to avoid plowing into him, but it was a close call and very unnerving for the gymnast.

boy I don't know how my mom did it?? She raised 2 kids before cell phones were even an idea and some how she knew where we were. some how we managed to get picked up on time, some how at sporting events we lived, she lived without a phone call or a text. seriously folks you can't make it for a few hours without being in contact with your kid, coach or someone else? Turn them off and enjoy the meet. Your coach doesn't need to give a play by play to anyone and having younger gymnasts is not a reason for a phone call. Unless you are a doctor on call I really don't see a need for any cell phone communication during a meet.

I don't see why I should have to (a meet isn't "a few hours" for me - it's usually more like 12 hours) if I'm not hurting anyone, and I often barely leave the venue, because I like to try and stay with the kids. Which I don't believe my previous use was hurting anyone.

Yes, people lived without cell phones and computers, but it's 2011 and I use a cell phone and a computer. Don't really see the big deal here. They could have put limits on reasonable use (no communication between judges and coaches by phone, no use of phone around the matting area while gymnasts are competing (such the runway). These are two particular rules I abide by as common sense, it's a shame others don't, but a blanket ban seems draconian.

so gymdog who are you calling during that meet that is so important it can't wait until you are done working?

Yes we live in the computer age and cell phone age along with any other tech age you want to mention but just because you have the ability to use it doesn't me you need to use it.

If I need a social gab with someone then I make a visit.

My hubby and I were just talking about all the tech out there and how we feel it really makes folks less social IN PERSON. everything is face book, texting, cell phones, e-mails, etc. What ever happened to just visiting with friends and going outside playing game having coffee and catching up? sigh!

Gymdog, as a meet director I give the coaches and judges plenty of opportunity to leave the competition area for meal breaks during the meet. That is when those calls can be made. I see no reason for there to be cell phone communication by coaches, judges, and especially athletes in the competitive area during a meet. If a parent needs to communicate with a coach during the meet, they shouldn't be. What in the world would a parent need to do that for? Parent-coach communication can take place after the meet is over.

Gymdog....I do get how being connected is vital to having a meet run smoothly if you are the director. I think the main issue is the overuse and misuse of the tech. 1 rotten apple spoils the whole bunch!!

Gymdog....I do get how being connected is vital to having a meet run smoothly if you are the director. I think the main issue is the overuse and misuse of the tech. 1 rotten apple spoils the whole bunch!!

so all the coaches are there, all the gymnasts and parents are there, all the judges are there, the meet starts - so who would the meet director be calling during the Meet that is so important they have to have that cell phone to make a call? I guess I just don't have very many important calls to see where this is necessary.

so gymdog who are you calling during that meet that is so important it can't wait until you are done working?

I have worked at meets all day (12+ hours) without even being paid minimum wage to do so. I did this because it was done in order to not charge the parents so much because for some of them it was the only program they could afford. I am not on my cell phone even when I am not being paid. I often stay after and work with kids for no pay, without taking breaks. This really has nothing to do with the meet director providing breaks??? If the kids are there, I'm there.

I do not use my cell phone "while I am working." I do not have it in my pocket or on my person while kids are competing, nor when I'm coaching. So yeah it bothers me when I am told that I have to go outside and I'm somehow a bad irresponsible person for doing so. I give 100% to this job and I will do it for free when I think the need is there. But I'm not a robot and I use a cell phone. I don't really know what else to say.

And even if the communication can wait, maybe I don't want it to. It's so terrible for me to text another coach after the meet when the kids are still there so they can hear the response and be proud in person. No, I don't NEED to. Obviously, I won't anymore. But it's NICE, and I don't think it's hurting anyone. So it rubs me the wrong way to be told this, yes. Obviously I will comply. Obviously, it isn't the end of the world. But I think it is annoying and I will not like it. I am allowed to not like it as much as some people love it.

Also, part of my annoyance is that those who abused it before will just be taking more frequent "breaks" now. Those of us who actually want to do our jobs and love the sport (I rarelyleave the competition area, even for meals...I can't eat the food provided at meets) will just be inconvenienced.

I've always had a phone with me since middle school... well in middle school it was a pager (old school I know) then it was a sidekick, which is a phone that sends relay calls, texts and e-mails (before other phones did that). I was always on a data only plan they offer to Deaf customers. I always always knew to keep my phone in my bag during gym though (there was always a few kids in school and at gym who thought it was funny to ring it if I forgot to put it on silent). But that was because I can't use the regular phone to call for a ride or anything else really. But then again I know my situation is a little different. If I were 20 years older there would be TTY machines in public to use lol! I can see not having the phones at the meet or during practice, but if they're kept in gym bags on silent and you peak for a text every so often on a water break I figure no harm no foul. But everyone here is right, a few people ruin it for everyone!!

Folks -

I feel like we have lost sight of what the rules apply to. Remember, the USAG Rules and Policies govern USAG sanctioned events; not the day-to-day goings on in a gym. As a meet director, I am obligated to follow these rules when conducting a meet or be subject to a sanction violation. The rules are there for safety and fairness of all participants. Frankly, I don't see this "new" rule as onerous; just one more thing I will mention at the coaches meeting prior to the session beginning. Am I going to inspect everyone's bag when they come in - no; am I going to stop the behavior if I see it - yes.

Good luck to everyone in the upcoming season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back