2016 Women's Artistic Gymnastics Olympic Team!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can't say I'm too surprised but why put the girls through the rigors of the trials if the team is pre-ordained? They could definitely use the rest , as evidenced by the Simone bobbles (even a work horse eventually needs to be rested...)

Naming Gabby to the team seemed a complete slap in the face to the girls who have worked hard and brought their A game but head games are part of gymnastics so Marta was sure to take part in that as well...

For me, I see the 2016 version as Simone, Aly and Laurie are Gabby, Aly and Jordyn from 2012, Kocian is the Kyla position and Gabby is the one event wonder that Maroney was slated to be ( but without the sure thing factor that Maroney was back then....I'm doubtful that Douglas would even be on the podium , especially with Kocian in the mix)...which begs the question, why Gabby because she didn't increase the medal potential. As much as I am a Skinner cringer ( hate her form) , she definitely had a greater potential to medal on vault than Douglas does on bars...

Agree completely with this! I don't see Douglas medaling on bars, it seems that the international comp for bars is very stiff. I do expect that Kocian will medal though and possibly even gold.

I agree. They already sacrificed the spot in VT event finals by not including Skinner, right? If I understand correctly, only Simone is now eligible for VT finals (unless Gaby can bring her Amanar back). So, they probably won't risk loosing UB spot just so the AA selection would be more fair.
Even with the Amanar, Gabby does not have a second vault and thus cannot qualify for finals. The double and the Amanar are both Yurchenko entry vaults. Doing the Amanar will only help team or AA scores (if she does AA).

Even with the Amanar, Gabby does not have a second vault and thus cannot qualify for finals. The double and the Amanar are both Yurchenko entry vaults. Doing the Amanar will only help team or AA scores (if she does AA).

I did not know that. Thank you! :)

Reactions: sce
Re: the coaching stuff, I really wonder if after the Olympics if she'll go back to any club gym at all - could she conceivably just train only at the ranch from this point on till the Olympics and never even have to go back to Buckeye?
All of the girls selected are going straight to the ranch, they will leave for Rio from there. So she will not be going back to Buckeye. And while personal coaches will be there, Martha is the one calling the shots. If the relationship between Gabby and coach is tense at all, I don't imagine it would be too difficult to ice him out altogether- whether that is initiated by Gabby or Martha.

As far as alternates, they will stay at the ranch during the Games. If they are needed they will fly in. I've heard most international flights headed to Rio fly through either Miami or Houston anyway, so they are at least one step closer. I think time-wise it's 2 hours ahead of Houston, but I also think the flight is pretty long. So it's a little risky. I guess they are banking on if there is an injury it being relatively early in the process.

regarding meaningless trials:

I was at the trials and while waiting for the selection committee to come out, checked my facebook - the picture of the 5 girls was posted right as the girls were walking out onto the floor area...

The picture was obviously taken before tonight's competition... I think regardless of what happened Sunday night, they had already made chosen the team.. maybe they took 2 pictures - 1 with Locklear and 1 with Kocian...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-10-21-14-30.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-10-21-14-30.png
    813.1 KB · Views: 84
I definitely agree with you on every point made here. I'm honestly disappointed that Gabby is on the team. Also, what was the deal with all her coaching changes? That made an obvious impact on her performance in my opinion. Maybe she should have sticked with Chow...however, she fell Night 1 AND Night 2 on beam! I don't think her performance in general was a very Olympic one. I think Maggie deserved at the very least an alternate spot on that team.
I saw an article that said Gabby didn't actually switch coaches, she is coached by both Christian and Kittia (sp?) she just chose to have Christian on the floor with her because she feels he can spot her better, whether or not that's entirely true, who's to know?

All of the girls selected are going straight to the ranch, they will leave for Rio from there. So she will not be going back to Buckeye. And while personal coaches will be there, Martha is the one calling the shots. If the relationship between Gabby and coach is tense at all, I don't imagine it would be too difficult to ice him out altogether- whether that is initiated by Gabby or Martha.

As far as alternates, they will stay at the ranch during the Games. If they are needed they will fly in. I've heard most international flights headed to Rio fly through either Miami or Houston anyway, so they are at least one step closer. I think time-wise it's 2 hours ahead of Houston, but I also think the flight is pretty long. So it's a little risky. I guess they are banking on if there is an injury it being relatively early in the process.

What happened between gabby and her coaches?

I was at the trials and while waiting for the selection committee to come out, checked my facebook - the picture of the 5 girls was posted right as the girls were walking out onto the floor area...

The picture was obviously taken before tonight's competition... I think regardless of what happened Sunday night, they had already made chosen the team.. maybe they took 2 pictures - 1 with Locklear and 1 with Kocian...

They were photoshopped

All of the girls selected are going straight to the ranch, they will leave for Rio from there. So she will not be going back to Buckeye..

I'm curious about this... I heard this also, and remember that being the case last time, but there is a development camp there this week and the USAG calendar lists the Olympic Team camp as starting July 17. https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/calendar16.pdf

Anyone know? It sure would be fun for the girls who will be there for DC to be there at the same time as the Olympic team!

I'm curious about this... I heard this also, and remember that being the case last time, but there is a development camp there this week and the USAG calendar lists the Olympic Team camp as starting July 17. https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/calendar16.pdf

Anyone know? It sure would be fun for the girls who will be there for DC to be there at the same time as the Olympic team!
Don't have any inside info but I would imagine a couple days of media, a couple days home to get ready and then to the ranch for camp? Those who said they are going straight to ranch have inside info? I can't imagine them going to the ranch today and staying for the 3 weeks til leaving for O's, they usually don't keep them there for that long a stretch.

I think they get a few days at home to pack, see family, do interviews and hopefully SLEEP!

Re: the coaching stuff, I really wonder if after the Olympics if she'll go back to any club gym at all - could she conceivably just train only at the ranch from this point on till the Olympics and never even have to go back to Buckeye?

Good question, wondering why she even switched gyms in the first place...

Don't have any inside info but I would imagine a couple days of media, a couple days home to get ready and then to the ranch for camp? Those who said they are going straight to ranch have inside info? I can't imagine them going to the ranch today and staying for the 3 weeks til leaving for O's, they usually don't keep them there for that long a stretch.
It's interesting how different the teams handle things. The men's team is heading to Rio soon, to train there for a few weeks. This includes alternates and their personal coaches. Thought hey did have a couple weeks at home before leaving. This may be why they made the men's trials earlier.

They are photoshopped into one image. The girls appear to have been photographed separately. The shading is off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back