2020 olympics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The op said that her gd was born in 2005 and when she saw the O's she would therefore have been three when she set her dights on the O's. I just did the math.

To all "Future Elite Moms, Dads and Grandparents" of those "super-talented" athletes, be wary of your funding efforts - financial, emotional or otherwise. The statistics are totally against the greatness you believe your own child can achieve. That is NOT to say that you shouldn't allow dreams to be had, only that as one poster already pointed out, you as the adult in the equation, need to be realistic in your support. Just because a kid wins when they're 5 yo at level 3 (we don't even compete that level here in our area!) doesn't mean they'll have what it takes to reach elite or level 8, 9 or 10 for that matter!

No one here is trying to "rain on the parade, " rather this is a forum where various experiences are shared, and many of the posters are seasoned parents who have either been down the path or are in the traffic right now and want to share the truths of the dream. I'm one of those still driving down the path with my DD and I can only be guaranteed one thing at this very moment - my DD loves gymnastics and wants to continue. Where it takes her no one knows nor can anyone make anything close to a guarantee on what the future holds for her gymnastics.

Bottom line, even if you place your child in the "best" gym or with the "best coaches" and save all your money for her gymnastics, it doesn't guarantee anything.

Very well said, Gigglesmom. Unfortunately, many who should heed this advice choose instead to accuse the rest of us as having "sour grapes."

I don't think anyone here has sour grapes at all. Just maybe more time in the gym. I've seen very talented girls and boys on teams get pushed too hard by parents, coaches and other adults pushing that Olympic dream and the gymnast quit before they even made it to L6.

Nurture the dream but keep a foot in reality. The fact is it's along way to elite and very few ever make it no matter how talented they are at 5yo.

DD just turned 6 and is doing Level 4 and really doesn't know what the Olympics are. Her biggest concern regarding gym is the snack break. This thread made me think of a conversation I had with her dad this week. He got to see her at gym for the first time since August and he was really impressed with her improvements and really likes her new gym. He mentioned that in a few years maybe he'd like to take over coaching her and then he said he had figured out that she'd be eligible for 2020. I guess being a high level gym coach and having been an elite gymnast himself it was inevitable that his mind would go there. I told him he was crazy to even think about that and he said two things that I think would be helpful to the OP.

1) He said basically that someone has to make it and have that dream and why not her. He told me I shouldn't have the attitude that it's impossible because it's not impossible, just almost impossible and such a difficult undertaking that requires much sacrifice, pain and suffering etc.

2)Then he said now is not the time to worry about such things. Now is the time to have fun and let her be a kid.

Just for the record just in case anyone thinks I'm saving for the 2020 Olympics, DD is just an average gymnast. I don't see that in her future.

Whenever I read a post about the olympics, I always wonder about the young women who are 7th, 8th, 9th, etc. They must work just as hard and for as many years to come close but not make it. There have to be other, achievable goals along the way. Focusing on what is really one meet is so unfair to all that it takes to compete at that level.

Blue

This thread is amusing but I think people who are unfamilar with the sport actually do not realize the enormous odds of making it to the olympics. When friends and coworkers her my daughter does gymnastics some of them have actually asked if she has a chance to make it to the Olympics I just laugh. I think everybody just associates the sport with the olympics. When daughter was younger she used to bring it up now she just wants to survive level6.

DD just turned 6 and is doing Level 4 and really doesn't know what the Olympics are. Her biggest concern regarding gym is the snack break. This thread made me think of a conversation I had with her dad this week. He got to see her at gym for the first time since August and he was really impressed with her improvements and really likes her new gym. He mentioned that in a few years maybe he'd like to take over coaching her and then he said he had figured out that she'd be eligible for 2020. I guess being a high level gym coach and having been an elite gymnast himself it was inevitable that his mind would go there. I told him he was crazy to even think about that and he said two things that I think would be helpful to the OP.

1) He said basically that someone has to make it and have that dream and why not her. He told me I shouldn't have the attitude that it's impossible because it's not impossible, just almost impossible and such a difficult undertaking that requires much sacrifice, pain and suffering etc.

2)Then he said now is not the time to worry about such things. Now is the time to have fun and let her be a kid.

Just for the record just in case anyone thinks I'm saving for the 2020 Olympics, DD is just an average gymnast. I don't see that in her future.
I totally agree with #2:)! As for #1, I'd question who's "dream" it would be should it come up? If she gets even the slightest idea that it might be her father's dream for her, will it become her's at some point just to please him? Hoping your level heads as parents continue to prevail should your DD begin to clean up at meets. It may be easy to get swept away with stars in your eyes. I recommend sticking with statement #2. Best wishes to you all!

Yes I agree here someone does have to make it and it could be anyones child but there is a difference in encouraging the dream and and providing the extra opportunities for a child to go down that road and parents that force the dream. I'm all for a child who had a dream if it really is their dream but so many kids do activities because their parents want them to do it and encourage them down that track. Young children are eager to please their parents

Having FUN should be the #1 reason to do any sport or activity regardless of age and parents should be there to encourage without being pushy. I just see "those parents" out there living their sports dreams through their children. There are alot of very talented girls and boys out there that really have the talent and drive for the Olympics and if the Olympics are in their future they should enjoy the journey and the hard work that is going to be needed. On the same note they should not feel bad or feel a parent is disapointed if they decide this dream isn't for them and their big dream is to be the champion at Underwater Basketweaving instead.

I totally agree with #2:)! As for #1, I'd question who's "dream" it would be should it come up? If she gets even the slightest idea that it might be her father's dream for her, will it become her's at some point just to please him? Hoping your level heads as parents continue to prevail should your DD begin to clean up at meets. It may be easy to get swept away with stars in your eyes. I recommend sticking with statement #2. Best wishes to you all!

Don't worry Dad is completely level headed. I think having been an elite gymnast he actually doesn't want her to aspire to that. He knows firsthand how difficult it is and in his mind really not worth it. He was just making the point to me that why was I limiting her at this age already because somebody will make it and who am I to assume that she can't do it. I'm definitely the pushier of the two of us. I get on to DD if I see her playing too much during practice and he's the one that's like don't worry, leave her alone.

Not only would I never dream that dream for her, I think I'd tell her no if she came and said that's what she wanted to do. Personally I just think it's not worth it. If she turns out to be a good gymnast I think I'd encourage her to aspire to Level 10 and college gym. It's much more realistic.

I know what you mean about people asking if your kid is going to the Olympics. Isn't that annoying? When people meet you and find out your DD does gym that's always the first question they ask, as if it's a waste of time otherwise. Next time I meet a 6 year old who plays tball I'm going to ask them if they are good enough for the Major Leagues. Because otherwise it's a waste of time right?

My DD really has no goals in gymnastics and I think that's normal and great for a 6 year old. She's just having fun. She doesn't put any pressure on herself ever. She has a great time at practice and she's happy whether she has a good practice or not. I actually think she doesn't know the difference. She's not obsessed with gymnastics at all. I hear people talk about how their DD's are just crazy about gymnastics and that's not my kid at all. She's happy to go to practice and while at practice, but other than that she doesn't mention it.

I don't think anyone here has sour grapes at all. /QUOTE]

Maybe bad phrasing on my part, but we've all seen the little ones pushed too hard by parents, sometimes by coaches. But in my experience in my DD's years in the gym ... let's see ... I think it's going on 8 years now.... if you even mention trying to "slow down" some of these young ones, the parents think you're crazy, or just jealous of their DD's fantastic skills.

Now DD's old gym has bumped up L4's straight to L7/8. The girls are struggling and they're 8/9 years old. The gym has promosed "olympic gold" to these parents and they believe it. This gym has absolutely NO track record of even producing a Level 10 girl, and not even successful L9's yet (they don't have their skills and consistently place in the bottom at meets -- and I do mean BOTTOM!) If I try to talk to them about a balanced life for these little ones, they think that I am crazy or as I said earlier, "Jealous"... so yes, I guess I stand by the "sour grapes" analogy.

Maybe bad phrasing on my part, but we've all seen the little ones pushed too hard by parents, sometimes by coaches. But in my experience in my DD's years in the gym ... let's see ... I think it's going on 8 years now.... if you even mention trying to "slow down" some of these young ones, the parents think you're crazy, or just jealous of their DD's fantastic skills.

Now DD's old gym has bumped up L4's straight to L7/8. The girls are struggling and they're 8/9 years old. The gym has promosed "olympic gold" to these parents and they believe it. This gym has absolutely NO track record of even producing a Level 10 girl, and not even successful L9's yet (they don't have their skills and consistently place in the bottom at meets -- and I do mean BOTTOM!) If I try to talk to them about a balanced life for these little ones, they think that I am crazy or as I said earlier, "Jealous"... so yes, I guess I stand by the "sour grapes" analogy.

What are these parents thinking? The gym has no upper level gymnasts yet promise the Olympics? Do they really think they can perform miracles? This sounds like a story from older DD's gym. Her first coaches started to make that promise to parents, and when I noticed that they only had 2 level 10's that weren't too successful, I walked with DD. It was a sign to me that "Craziness" was soon to follow. Running into parents that were still at DD's old gym, that was the story I got. Many more parents began their exodus and their DD's were very successful at other gyms. They actually got full rides to great schools. I hope these parents you speak of wise up! Geez!:eek:

I say, "Go for it!" :D . If she is that talented, she just might make it. There will always be those that want to rain on the parade of super-talented little athletes. That just makes it all the more important for the parents and grandparents to be there all of the time to push their dreams forward. Good luck!

You are one of those moms i wold totally avoid. You'll probably be a gym-hopper, home-coacher, gymnastics know-it-all, coaching and judging from the sidelines kind of mom. I've seen so many in the last 5 years......just saying... you need to chill now, for your child's sake and you and your family's sanity.

hahaha! So true!

Ouch! It's a rough crowd here, isn't it. I guess I should have stayed away, but I do feel the need to respond the the attacks of a few. No, I do not think I am pushy, and neither do the other moms I am friends with at gym. Yes, I have studied to be a coach, and I was a high level gymnast myself. No, I am not pushing my DD. I am, and I will continue to support her as she aspires to her own dreams. I realize that posting on a message board leaves me open to a critique of everything up to and including my ability as a parent, apparently, but, really, none of you know anything of me.

My DD has talent and drive, and I will continue to support her. So far she is happy and has never sustained a single injury. No, her coaches are not "mad" at me. As a matter of fact, they offered me a job.

You are one of those moms i wold totally avoid. You'll probably be a gym-hopper, home-coacher, gymnastics know-it-all, coaching and judging from the sidelines kind of mom. I've seen so many in the last 5 years......just saying... you need to chill now, for your child's sake and you and your family's sanity.

I don't really know how you got any of that from that poster's response. They were just being encouraging. Geez!

woah woah woah ladies now lets not act like children. lets be sivalized and answer the questions stated not judge anyone. ignore who the person is that is writing the question and answer the question as if the president asked ;)

woah woah woah ladies now lets not act like children. lets be sivalized and answer the questions stated not judge anyone. ignore who the person is that is writing the question and answer the question as if the president asked ;)

Out of the mouths of babes.......

When did attacking FutureEliteMom become an Olympic sport around here? It's the holidays, people. Let's try that peace on earth goodwill towards men (and women) thing. :)

Ouch! It's a rough crowd here, isn't it. I guess I should have stayed away, but I do feel the need to respond the the attacks of a few. No, I do not think I am pushy, and neither do the other moms I am friends with at gym. Yes, I have studied to be a coach, and I was a high level gymnast myself. No, I am not pushing my DD. I am, and I will continue to support her as she aspires to her own dreams. I realize that posting on a message board leaves me open to a critique of everything up to and including my ability as a parent, apparently, but, really, none of you know anything of me.

My DD has talent and drive, and I will continue to support her. So far she is happy and has never sustained a single injury. No, her coaches are not "mad" at me. As a matter of fact, they offered me a job.

I hope you don't decide to stay away but I understand if you do. You do seem to have ruffled some feathers to the point that I'm not sure you can say anything right for some people's taste.

That's neat about your background. Congratulations on your past gymnastics success and for having such a talented daughter.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back