WAG 2023 Core Hydration Classic Junior Women

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This meet is too late at night for the Jr's.

It ended a little on the late side(so do many USAG DP meets too), but the juniors are mostly teenagers, or almost teenagers, not little kids. I don’t think it’s that late for them. You could say the same about the senior session tonight, I’m sure it will end around the same time.

It ended a little on the late side(so do many USAG DP meets too), but the juniors are mostly teenagers, or almost teenagers, not little kids. I don’t think it’s that late for them. You could say the same about the senior session tonight, I’m sure it will end around the same time.

More than 75% of the athletes there do not work out at night. As a coach of many years... I can tell you that there is typically a huge drop off in performance late at night. It's just not ideal.

I don't agree with upper level (or lower level) sessions being late in any league. In my mind... if the session can't end by 9pm... it's late. That means a 7pm start time is late to me. The 9pm to 10pm time is not good... many of the athletes just start crashing hard.

EDIT: By "crashing hard"... I mean energy level... not eating dirt (but it leads to this). They lose focus and make silly mistakes.

Last edited:
I think it's too late for anyone honestly! But I am not at all a night person. I finally stopped coaching nights when I was in my second trimester as a way of transitioning to stay at home mom eventually. My husband and I are rarely not in bed by 10

Let us know what you think about the Juniors!​

I enjoyed them! They were fresh, and smiling, and talented and fun to watch. You could see the nerves taking over some of them, but overall it was very good. And the YT coverage was pretty good too. Our gym's gymnast did pretty great, too, so that made it even more fun to watch.

I agree that it is not late for teenagers but these athletes are used to training in the morning / afternoon on a very set schedule (this also applies to most gymnasts at any level) and I am sure most would prefer to compete within the confines of a normal day.

Fortunately... the Juniors will be competing in the middle of their normal day at championships this year. Hopefully this brings out the best in all of them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back