Parents 2nd 6 meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Reaction score
Daughter had her 2nd level 6 this past weekend. Her bars were improved but we are still awaiting the floor fairies. Her AA was slightly lower than her last score so she is still not qualified for states. She handled it well did not get upset eventhough the wrong scores were flashed and we briefly thought she qualified. I do not understand why gyms let the young gymnasts flash the scores. Her score was actually 1.5 lower than the flashed score. I am not sure if this was good since she went through most of the meet thinking she did alright in floor. Anyway she has gotten friendly with the other gymnasts from one of the other teams in their league since last year when she competed by herself so she seemed to be enjoying herself. I gotta admit with all the competitiveness of the sport it is really refreshing to see girls from other gyms developing a comraderee and getting along.

It sounds like she is doing all the right things. Being a good sportswoman and ambassador for her club is far more important than her scores and will be remembered by other people for far longer. Tell her to hand in there and keep doing what she is doing - she will qualify very soon. Congrats to another successful meet under her belt.

Daughter had her 2nd level 6 this past weekend. Her bars were improved but we are still awaiting the floor fairies. Her AA was slightly lower than her last score so she is still not qualified for states. She handled it well did not get upset eventhough the wrong scores were flashed and we briefly thought she qualified. I do not understand why gyms let the young gymnasts flash the scores. Her score was actually 1.5 lower than the flashed score. I am not sure if this was good since she went through most of the meet thinking she did alright in floor. Anyway she has gotten friendly with the other gymnasts from one of the other teams in their league since last year when she competed by herself so she seemed to be enjoying herself. I gotta admit with all the competitiveness of the sport it is really refreshing to see girls from other gyms developing a comraderee and getting along.

sending any fairies I'm not using, crossing fingers and toes and eyes for her next meet. She will qualify soon I'm sure.

The younger gymnast are used because they can't get anyone else. Ii know at my old gym at meets they held the could barely get enough adults for timers and usually asked for volunteers from the audience at each session to fill the flashers and runners positions.

MY favourite part of gymnastics is developping great team spirit, that is something that will serve her well throughout life when gymnastics is long gone and mostly forgotten.

SHe is doing great and is rising to the challenge of a tough new level. Perseverence will pay off.

I know for sure that my DD will not make our States equivalent, so I am making sure that she is getting the most out her meets in other ways. Sometimes the best bit is not the winning but the getting to compete.

My dd did level six alone and met lots of kids from other gyms, many of whom she still sees at meets and cheers for. It's really cool, I have to agree with you.

Sounds like your dd has a great attitude and I'd bet she gets that qualifying score soon.

As to flashing the wrong score, sometimes that happens when the judges make mistakes averaging their scores or when the score flasher doesn't see a chief judge's deduction (overtime on beam, stepping out of bounds on floor) which is sometimes written below the average. We have to go back to judges several times each meet to clarify scores after they have flashed. Usually the gymnast has moved on to another event and the corrections are not flashed.

We had a funny (frustrating) meet where the flasher showed both scores! So if a child had 7.8 and 7.5 on bars, the showed 7.875. We didn't realize what was going on until the 6.461 was flashed. The flashers mom beelined up to her to show her how to read the score! :rolleyes:

Our gym only lets the older team girls act as flashers. Also the head judge in our state always circles the score to be posted. At the meets we host, an adult volunteer writes the score on the back of the gymnast's name card and then it is sent to a flasher. There is always an adult with the flashers in case they aren't sure of the score. We preach--take your time, better a tad slow and right than speedy and wrong.

PGM--When my gymmie was a L6 we were at the judge's cup meet for the season and one girl on our team had her bars score held up as 6.5. The girls had already started moving to beam and someone told her. Well, she had a meltdown(was rather prone to those). Coach went and checked and the score was 8.5. The flasher misread the 8 for a 6. This girl never got it back together and had a miserable beam routine---she missed qualifying for states too.

Sounds like your dd is handling everything well and that state qualifying score will happen. My gymmie loves to get to know other girls at meets. So, 2 thumbs up to her for making friends and being a great kid.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back