3rd L4 Meet. Slow and Steady Improvements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Well, she raised her AA by over a point this time. I really do have mixed feelings about this meet. I understand that judging can is often times subjective. And I understand I do not know all the details of judging. But, from my view point this was her worst meet. She went all wonky on her front hip circle on bars (which she has never done). Her ROBHS on floor was scary. She was under rotated from the start on it. Almost hit her head...then almost landed on her knees...took a huge step forward to keep from falling. On beam..she lost her balance (although she stayed on)..and kinda lost her focus (this was the event she was scared of going into this meet due to a bad fall on it last year at the same meet) and repeated a series of skills to get herself back on track.
She has really been working on those pretty lines..and that part looked much better this time. She nailed her dismount on bars..which she normaly takes a step or two. She got her dismount on beam the first time. So, who the heck knows..lol

She ended up with
Vault 8.7 (last meet 8.675)
Bars 7.55 (all three meets she has been in the 7.5-7.55 range)
Beam 7.85 (last meet 6.85)
Floor 8.175 (last meet 7.85)
AA 32.275 (last meet 30.925) 3rd place out of 5 girls. At least this meet they had her in a group of other 6 yr olds. Last two meets she has been in groups with 6-8 yr olds. (oh well..it is what it is..right? LOL)

I am so proud of her for going out there and tackling that beam. Especialy after expressing how she was scared of it for this meet due to her falling off and getting hurt last year at the same meet.

Don't let the judging drive you too crazy.;) We've had times this season where I have been :confused: over judging, but it is what it is, I guess. I've told DD the only thing she can control is what she puts out there, she can't control the judges. Way to go on beam, especially being that nervous!

Good for Kadee! Seeing improvements from meet to meet is what it's all about. And judging is so darn subjective that it is easy to leave scratching your head...glad she had a good meet :)

Ok, thats scary. I thought they kept them with girls their own age?
Well, she raised her AA by over a point this time. I really do have mixed feelings about this meet. I understand that judging can is often times subjective. And I understand I do not know all the details of judging. But, from my view point this was her worst meet. She went all wonky on her front hip circle on bars (which she has never done). Her ROBHS on floor was scary. She was under rotated from the start on it. Almost hit her head...then almost landed on her knees...took a huge step forward to keep from falling. On beam..she lost her balance (although she stayed on)..and kinda lost her focus (this was the event she was scared of going into this meet due to a bad fall on it last year at the same meet) and repeated a series of skills to get herself back on track.
She has really been working on those pretty lines..and that part looked much better this time. She nailed her dismount on bars..which she normaly takes a step or two. She got her dismount on beam the first time. So, who the heck knows..lol

She ended up with
Vault 8.7 (last meet 8.675)
Bars 7.55 (all three meets she has been in the 7.5-7.55 range)
Beam 7.85 (last meet 6.85)
Floor 8.175 (last meet 7.85)
AA 32.275 (last meet 30.925) 3rd place out of 5 girls. At least this meet they had her in a group of other 6 yr olds. Last two meets she has been in groups with 6-8 yr olds. (oh well..it is what it is..right? LOL)

I am so proud of her for going out there and tackling that beam. Especialy after expressing how she was scared of it for this meet due to her falling off and getting hurt last year at the same meet.

It depends how many kids are competing, and what age they are. Some age groups can have a 3-year range. They do their best to make it fair while having the same number of gymnasts in each age group. For example, if there are only 2 six year olds competing, they can't give them their own age group...that's ridiculous. So they bundle them with the 5 seven year olds and 3 eight year olds, to make the group the same size as the 10 nine year olds competing L4 (just an example).

True, that's what happened to DD last year when she was 6. Sometimes, she'd be with 6 yr olds and young 7's. Other times, she was with 6 to young 8 yr. olds. It seems that most meets try to keep even number groups.

Congratulations to Kadee! It sounds like she is having a great season!

Only if there are enough girls. Last year, all of my dd's L3 meets were 6 & under (which was fine for her as she was 6 anyway). This year her L4 meets have been 7 & under.

My daughter is a older 5 year old level 3, do you think they would put her with an 8 year old... seems kinda unfair.
It depends how many kids are competing, and what age they are. Some age groups can have a 3-year range. They do their best to make it fair while having the same number of gymnasts in each age group. For example, if there are only 2 six year olds competing, they can't give them their own age group...that's ridiculous. So they bundle them with the 5 seven year olds and 3 eight year olds, to make the group the same size as the 10 nine year olds competing L4 (just an example).

This weekend my daughter, who is still 10 (only for another 6 weeks, but she's still 10, gosh darn it... We have to hold onto their childhood for as long as we can!) competed in the 11-and-up category, so she was up against some teenagers! It was a little disconcerting to see her on the podium with girls who were probably 5 years older than she is!

Way to go Kadee. AB had a not so good meet. Her best event is generally bars and she fell on her dismount. She was in one tough group. They divided the 10 year olds and for some reason, she got EVERY girl from the best gym around in her group. She doesn't compete again until our home meet. She has to miss the next meet due to a school event. I thought the meet was crazy long--we were there 5 1/2 hours! I'm sure all those girls were starving and exhausted--especially the little ones.

Way to go Kadee...very nice improvements! Judging IS very hard to understand. Sometimes the judging is just high...or low...or whatever. As long as it is fair and consistently high or low for everybody, I guess that's all we can ask for. That's a very nice placement for her also...she must have been thrilled. I laughed at the "wonky" hip circle thing...my DD went wonky on hers at her meet this weekend too.

Way to go Kadee :)
I gave up trying to understand judging years ago, makes gymnastics so much more enjoyable lol!

My daughter is a older 5 year old level 3, do you think they would put her with an 8 year old... seems kinda unfair.

In Australia, well in the area where we live at least, there are no age divisions, we simply don't have enough gymnasts. DD's first meet she was 6 yrs old, gymnasts in her level ranged from 6 to 14 years old. This year age range in her level was from 8yrs to 15 years old. DD has never questioned it, she trains with girls of a wide age range and competes against girls of the same age range. Does look funny at times though when there is an 8 or 9 year old in first place on the podium and the teenager in 3rd place is towering over them ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back