WAG 6:30 p.m. Meet 4 1/2 hours away

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
We've had meets that start at 5 p.m. but never 6:30 p.m. It will just be me and my daughter and we are driving up the day before and plan on driving back right after the meet. I would have considered staying another night if we could watch some of her teammates who may be competing the next day. However, the teams competing the next day are L4s and bronze USAIGC Bronze. In addition, the teams competing right before her session are L3s. There is nothing wrong with those levels except she does not know or is close to anyone in her team in those levels. I know we'll probably get home around 2 a.m. if the meet goes til 10, potentially later. My daughter will be fine in the car and I think I'll be fine driving. But what a long day and what a drag. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Personally, I would stay over after, especially if I was the only driver. Is there something fun you and your DD could do together on the way home the next day? If you're set on driving back that night, I would get an audio book (for free at the library or for relatively cheap at a Cracker Barrel). Something interesting for you that is also appropriate for your DD. Or put something on an MP3 player just for you to listen to if you think your DD will be involved in her own games/music and/or sleeping. When I have to do a lot of driving by myself, an audiobook is the only thing that keeps me sane and awake!

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer, you take one down pass it around............

Slug bug!!

License plate alphabet race.

Have fun and good luck to your darling daughter.

I agree with Mary, Audio books are great. I also recommend you eat protein heavy late dinner and grab your favorite version of caffeine ( diet coke, coffee, tea). I would not do well with a long drive late at night and would defiantly prefer to drive in the morning with a stop for a good breakfast along the way.

We have a meet this Saturday, 3-4 hrs away, her session is 6pm. We're planning to drive there in the morning and stay that night. I'd rather have her get a good night's sleep at home the night before rather than hotel sleep and spending the day in a new city the day of her meet. Hotel was much more $ for Sat night which was my biggest reservation. :( Good luck!

Ouch! Good luck at the meet. I agree with the others that an audio book is good for keeping you going on long drives. If possible though, I would change which day to drive home. I would leave in the morning and stay that night and go home the next day.

Thanks everyone. I am not looking forward to a drive home late that night. I don't like driving at all. But since we are driving, there is certainly a lot of flexibility. I would consider driving the day of the meet and staying over that night. But I am wondering how tired she'll be after a 4 1/2 drive with no traffic. Also, check-in is usually not until 3. We've been allowed to check in early many times. But there are no guarantees. I am just trying to cut corners. We have 3 fly away meets and all our other meets require overnight stays. In addition, there is still the states meet which is a fly away, regionals and if she qualifies to nationals it will again be a flyway. So total for this seasons is potentially 5 meets that require airfare. I also have 3 other children who have flyway games, meets and dance competitions, not to mention one going to college next year. Maybe I should start looking for a part time job!

My husband and I alternate meets. Maybe I'll just skip this meet and have him handle it. I would love to see her though because she forfeited last season because of our gym switch. I guess it will all work out. Thanks for letting me express a little frustration.

We had a 6:00 session this past Friday about 3 hours away. We drove home after the meet, but had car trouble (in a 3 year old, otherwise dependable vehicle) about halfway. We were stuck on the side of the highway for over an hour. Luckily, a team mate was following us. They picked up Kipper and took her home with them while we waited for the tow truck and a ride to pick us up.
So...I vote for staying over unless you have company on the road!

Yes, with having to fly to that many meets, I can definitely see why you'd like to save some $$ if you can. You can always find somewhere to stop on the way home if you get too tired. Just be sure you're safe to drive, and that you stop if you find that's not the case. My husband can pull into a rest stop, sleep for half an hour or so in the driver's seat, and be good to go. That would never work for me.

Do you have a friend who would come with you? Maybe a mother/daughter combo where you're friends with the mom and DD is friends with the daughter? Even if she didn't help drive, having someone to talk to can help keep you alert. My guess is that your gymmie will fall immediately asleep as soon as you head home!

Oh boy, Joy, that would be a nightmare. My husband's car and my car are both a couple months new. But one never knows. Certainly something to keep in mind.

MaryA, thanks. I am pretty independent and was just going to wing it. I thought about what you suggest, but swept it under the rug. But I have to consider I have my 12 year old with me. Our team moms are all great and we all get along. I will certainly do as you suggest should I decide to make the late drive.

This thread was very helpful. Thanks for sharing advise/suggestions and your own experiences.

I've done the late night drive home on more than one occasion. Starbucks is my friend :) I've also done the drive 3 1/2 hours there, compete and drive home in one day....I am usually wiped out the next day, but it works for us.

We did a 5:45 meet this past weekend, about 3 hours each way. My mom and I took turns driving and I was still wiped out. I was glad to sleep in my own bed and to have all day Sunday to recover (meets when we stay over, Monday rolls around and I'm thinking, "Hey, where was my weekend?") but I would have been hard-pressed to do it on my own.

IF you are already planning on paying for the hotel the night before, I would just switch and stay the night of the meet instead.

I would never drive 3 1/2 hours alone in the dead of night. For many reasons, mostly beacause I'd be exhausted!

Seems that if you've made the plan to pay, just go early that morning. While I know check in's aren't usually until after 1, many times hotels can accommodate you earlier (especially if you call ahead).

Even if they can't, you and your daughter can hang out in the lobby, watch TV and chill until you can get into your room. I've never met a kid who doesn't love a hotel!

I did this once and will never again....the only reason I drove 5 hours home after a 6pm report time was because it was a Sunday night and had to get home for school/work. It was awful and that was driving with 2 adults and 3 kids, so I had plenty of company/conversation, and kids all slept.

I agree with everyone else who suggested staying over night if possible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back