Parents ? about Boys gymnastics progression

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymyogimom

Proud Parent
So I know that "mens" gymnastics peaks a bit later, but when do boys start training/competing?

My son is 5 (April birthday) and loves gymnastics (we did basketball camp last week and he was doing cartwheels on the side lines) and wants to start doing twice a week (and recognizes that his classes are already shorter).

Should I wait a year or until the coaches recommend additional training? They recommended it for my daughter (7) which is why we moved from 1 hour a week to a conditioning program since we joined in May.

I feel he has potential, but I'm 'just a mom' - he's flexible (he practices yoga), has a good cartwheel and can do a straddle hold and pull ups. He just looks young so I think he's being overlooked. The gym says he can go up to the boys class, but most of the boys rec class are older and a good 6 inches to a foot taller than he is!

Thoughts?

Our boys' preteam is mostly older 4s, some 5s, and the occasional 6 year old. Boys can start competing JO at age 6. My DS was 7 in his first year on team.

Reactions: sce
My 2 youngest sons were always smallest and some of the youngest. My 5 yr old was placed in intermediate boys (preteam) with the expectation he would move to team at age 6. Of course the day he turned 6 he thought he would move to team. Oops. He had to wait for the new season.

I would approach the men's team coach and tell him your son may be interested in team and ask what the process is for getting there.

Reactions: sce
5 and preterm if he can focus and enjoy the structure 1-2 days a week for about an hour would be the average, I'd guess. Level 4 is fun and easy and lots of boys compete it at age 6 or 7. Being tiny only becomes an issue as they get closer to level 6 and up due to equipment issues. My youngest competed old level 4 at 6 and repeated at 7, had done a few years of fun rev gym prior. He's still in gym at 11 despite being an average competitive gymnast over all (so good but likely to stop before level 10). He's been allowed to take his time. He tried other sports, plays an instrument and has outside interests.

Many talented boys quit long before they get to optional gym if it gets to be too much work or keeps them from trying other things. My oldest started late ( almost 11) but is set to be a very solid level 8 this year and loves being there 20 hrs a week. My daughter moved fast and furious to level 8 and has burnt out. It lost all its fun and became only pressure.

So in essence if he wants more now great but pace him and keep it fun until HE is the one asking for more ankle weights and more drills....

There is a preteam but the boys invitational is 6+ so it seems like they wait? Im there for my daughter today and will see who i can find.

D was on preteam at 5, moved to level 4 at 6, level 5 at 7, and now at 13 is a level 9. Boys do "peak"later, and honestly, many of the big skills can''t even be done until puberty. Plus boys in general need things to be fun!

Odds are he is not being overlooked, but it never hurts to talk to your son's coach about the norms, and the plans for your son. He really can't compete until the 2016-17 season, but there might be a preteam option for him.

Maybe this is why they asked him to do the boys class instead of the mixed class. He was in a 4 year old class until recently and that was just 2 or 3 students in a separate area from the others and it was super basic where they didn't even get to cartwheels.

When my son was really young he was a bit of a spastic sponge. He quickly outgrew the tot classes (literally lapping other kids during stations), and they bumped him up to the "boys" rec class at age 4, like 8 months early. DS hated it. Small for his age, he was so much smaller than the other boys (and it was obvious, they'd have to get taller mats, etc) that he ended up very self-conscious. He took a break for awhile.

He took classes a second time at a different gym. Coach said he had some natural talent and at age 6 DS was invited to team. DS did one week of team and it was too much (3 hour classes for a new first grader). He again took a break and tried TKD.

Nine months later he was back at original gym after asking me if he could try team (other gym lost their boys program). He had recently turned 7. We started right off with two rec classes to see how he'd handle it. He loved it, moved to preteam six months later, and six months after that is gearing up for his first level 4 season. He'll compete as an 8 year old.

Not sure how successful he'll be? He's still a bit all over the place (maturity and focus-wise), but seems like he's improving.

Anyway, all this to say awesome for your kid if he's ready, but it isn't always just talent. Maturity and size, etc play a role in readiness too. Doesn't hurt to ask, then you'd at least be prepared and can get him in the right classes. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back