ACL Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ivyagogo

Coach
Two years ago I tore my ACL. I am an older gymnast (43 - ugh) so my situation my not apply to those youngins out here. Here's my question. I'm all healed now and my doctor is happy with my progress. Sometimes when I tumble, especially with roundoffs, I tend to land with that knee hyper extended and it hurts like the dickens. I never did this before I tore my ACL. It also happens sometimes when I do a front tuck. It's almost a mental thing. I am thinking about getting a good set before I land and I extend too early.

Anyway, has this happened to any of you and if so, is there a way to not do it! Do patellar support bands help? Any particular taping techniques?

I'm not looking for medical advise, just looking for someone to commiserate with.

Thanks.

I always find myself over compensating for bending my knees to prevent this from happening, and still get yelled at for not bending my knees enough (even though I'm so hyperextended naturally it feels like my knees are wicked bent already). I was made to do TONS of jump sticks. I don't really do roundoffs anymore, I do things out of dive cartwheels now. Front tucks, I ironically landed with the GOOD knee fully straight the other day , but I just try not to straighten all the way if I can help it

Knock on wood, that is not an area of my body I have injured. I've done both my ankles, my foot, my heal and my shoulder. I know what you mean about being an older gymnast, I am too. I can commiserate. I used braces on both my ankles, maybe they make a brace for ACL? I personally hate taping long term injuries because it is a pain in the butt and it kind of gets expensive after a while. Maybe ask your doc or PT if they have a suggestion. Good luck and keep plugging away!

Nicci - I remember when you were doing your PT. You told me that the therapist was sort of freaked out by your hyperextension! I'll never get my full back out of a dive cartwheel though, so I need to fix this roundoff issue. And I know what you mean about the other knee. When I first started up again I tweaked the other one because I was favoring my surgery knee.

Good idea about asking my PT. Perhaps I'll stop by and see her. It's been too long anyway and I should say hi. Taping can be an issue for me because I sometimes have reactions to the tape that last weeks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back