Coaches advice on UK qualifications please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twinklytoes9468

Coach
Proud Parent
I have been helping out with recreational gymnasts for about a year and I have done a level 1 Womens Artistic qualification.I am now thinking about doing level 2 but I am unsure whether to go for general gymnastics of artistic.The club is a general gymnastics club I am already expected to working with the kids on the skills contained in L2 general under the supervision of head coach.She is of the opinion I should go gor artistic because you get more for your money but says ultimately it is up to me.She has contacts at a large competitive club and can arrange for me to get experience and mentoring there.I am little worried that the artistic qualification has higher level skill and I haven't been coaching that long.I don't have a gymnastics background -I am just a mum!any advice appreciated!

Figure it out based on what you want to do rather than what you've been doing. If you need to be a little better at something in order to be able to do what you want...... do what you gotta do to get better, and do it the best you're able.

Coaching takes a lot of heart and desire, as well as technical knowledge and the ability to pass that knowledge on to the kids you work with. Just in the event you're wondering, having an intuitive ability to figure out skills is a pretty good tool to have...... some have it and some don't.

Go for artistic. You'll learn all the stuff on the GG course, plus more. Then you'll be able to teach both GG and WAG- I *think* if you're only qualified GG you can't coach WAG. I wouldn't worry about the skill level- they're all broken down in to their component drills so you'll get a full understanding of them and how to teach them.

Or at least that's my current understanding, coaching qualifications have changed a lot since my day :walking stick:

I agree with Faith, reading around the subject helps a lot too. Have a look at all the drills and skills on here and you tube. You will gain a better understanding of how the skills are broken down into their constituent parts and what the important parts are.

I remember not knowing what the coach was going on about when she was ranting about closed shoulder angles for ages until I looked it up and worked it out, lol.

'Margo

I would always go for artistic over gg. I did both and wish I had been encouraged to do artistic first time. You will need to get a lot of practice at the other club though if only for spotting practice and getting a good idea of what skills should look like!

Maybe you could go to the competitive club and take a look at the skills - including the progressions and spotting you will need to show - before you decide. WAG level 2 will be a lot to take on after one year's rec experience but if you feel capable I would also recommend it over general. But only if you feel you can do it. Good luck.

Thankyou very much for your replies.The consensus seems to back up what I have decided.I am going to go down the artistic route .I see that you actually have 2 years to pass your assessment and exam so that has put my mind at rest.The skills boxes actually do not look too scary.I am sure I could cope.Thankyou again

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back