Advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi!!!!!! I attend _______ Gymnastics. My one friend is a little overweight. She wants to do gymnastics but is afraid because of her weight. She is very flexible. Do u have any advice for her and me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have siblings who are gymnasts, and I recently started as well. I am overweight, but found that if I am confident, everything else falls in to place: I achieve more skill-wise, progress faster, and get into shape faster than if I were uncomfortable with myself.

It is definitely NOT easy, but when I have control of my emotions, confidence-wise, I have better results and am happier. Thats THE most important thing to keep in mind.
:D

Good on you for starting gymnastics. If you're concerned about how you'll look in a leotard and think it might affect your confidence, you could wear fitting shorts and t-shirts (i.e. not baggy). They're a little looser than leotards. I'm an adult gymnast and usually wear shorts and t-shirt or singlet. Good luck to you.:)

This may be a bit late. But weight should not affect someones decision to join gymnastics. And I would not worry about the appearance of ones self or a ffriends in a leotard. For a leo flatters close to no one. Gymnastics is a great sport for someone who is over weight. It is a great way to get active, burn calories, and improve strength. You may hink that gymnastics would be tougher for someone who is over weight. But think of all the times you do push-ups or pull-ups or sit-ups at gymnastics. Are pull-ups going to be harder if you add twenty pounds? Of course. So if the over weight gymnast does the same amount of pull-ups that the lighter gymnast does, the heavier gymnast gained more muscle that they need to support themselves with. After coaching many gymnasts of all different sizes, you find out that a over weight gymnast may struggle more in the beginning buy with time, perserverance, and supportive coaching, they can come out on top no matter what there size or shape is. Gymnastics is for anyone.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back