MAG After High School

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Hi everybody, let me get right down to it. I've been doing high school gymnastics for two years now and regrettably this is my last year. During these two years I've improved a great deal. However I still don't think I'm quite at college level yet. So my basic question is, now what? I don't wanna have to resort to running and lifting weights to stay in shape, cause lets face it, gymnastics is way more fun. I'm going to a community college for two years followed by UIC (University of Illinois at Chicago). Could I improve at local open gyms for two years and then join the UIC team as a transfer student my junior year? Are there clubs I could join? I really wanna keep up with this sport and don't really know too much about how this all works in college. Any suggestions are appreciated

I don't know how it works over there but I am in my final year of school as well but I train at a club and I asked my coach what i could do next year and she basically said that I can keep training so maybe one of the local clubs will let you train or if there is an adult class you could do that. If all else fails you can go to local open gyms regularly. It might help if you let us know what level you are in roughly to give you more options

I would just look for a local gym and train there. My understanding is that college gymnastics in America is very competitive so unless you are at a high level try training at a local gym.

I would look into your local gym club and start taking classes there. If they don't offer classes for your age and ability level consider private lessons. Don't use open gym unless you are also doing classes with a coach. Wit hour anyone to work with you bad habits c an develop and bad habits can stop you from ever. Progressing further.

You might also check with your college to see if they have a gymnastics club team. Many universities do, and you might be able to continue your gymnastics that way.
Good Luck.

you'd have to be a minimum 84.00 and up all-arounder at level 10 and have somewhere near a 15.0 start on vault/pommels/p-bars to walk on the team at UIC. UIC does not currently have a "club" team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back