Parents After practice behavior

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Serenity28

Proud Parent
I usually show up to pick up my DD a few minutes before practice is over. I have learned that watching practice is not a good thing. After practice I notice a few parents chat with the coaches after practice about their DD's progression, need for privates, ect. Some do this every practice and others do it weekly. I usually exchange a few pleasantries and leave. I don't stop to check to see how my DD is doing in class. She normally tells me in the ride home anyway. Am I being too passive? I don't want the coach to think I don't care because I'm not sticking around to ask questions. I just think DD is happy everything is okay. What are others experience?

I don't think I approached dd's coaches for the first 2 years. Just didn't want to seem pushy. I figured if I needed to know something, they would find me in the lobby. Once she was on team, it was a little different due to injuries, fears, etc. and I felt more comfortable approaching them, but I still only talked with them an average of maybe once a month unless something was happening that needed more time.

I usually show up to pick up my DD a few minutes before practice is over. I have learned that watching practice is not a good thing. After practice I notice a few parents chat with the coaches after practice about their DD's progression, need for privates, ect. Some do this every practice and others do it weekly. I usually exchange a few pleasantries and leave. I don't stop to check to see how my DD is doing in class. She normally tells me in the ride home anyway. Am I being too passive? I don't want the coach to think I don't care because I'm not sticking around to ask questions. I just think DD is happy everything is okay. What are others experience?
Oh my goodness, this happens at my child's gym ALL THE TIME! And it is the same parents 99 percent of the time! I swear they are as needy as their children.
I don't get it. But if it makes them feel better, whatever. The only time I find it annoying is if I actually have something I need to quickly talk about (for ex, we will be late tomorrow due to a doc apt, or hey, my dh will be out of town for a few weeks so if she seems a bit off this is why..)....then it bugs the crap out of me because I feel like I am waiting in a line. For something that I would like them to know and it would take only a minute to tell them. The need to know how their child is doing daily seems to be a bit of overkill to me, but obviously these parents are insecure.

I'm curious to hear the coaches perspective. I've never dropped my DD or picked her up before this week (she started level 2 in September). I met her coach for the first time a few days ago (a clinic, not a regular class). I had previously spoken to him a few times on the phone. He seemed very happy to chat with me in person. He wanted to tell me about her progress, what she's working on, how hard she works.

For me, I check in when I can. My dd is on her third level in one year. You are damn straight I'm checking in. She is being pushed hard and I need to make sure she's not breaking down. So yes I check in. It might be a simple as making myself available just incase they need to tell me something or as blunt as "did she learn her new floor routine today? We have 3 weeks until the next meet..." I don't think that makes me a cgm, although I'm sure there have been times I wore that badge.
In 2 1/2 weeks she will compete lvl 5 at the same meet she competed her very first meet as a lvl 3 a year ago. She just learned her floor tonight. It's been a whirlwind and it's my job to keep her focused, well fed, rested, supported and well loved.
I usually can tell when one of the coaches wants to talk to me but the busy bees are buzzing around him and yes it is annoying but I'm sure those moms find me annoying too.

The pushy every session mums are a pain. Plain and simple.

And they also take the time away from a chat with another parent or child that might really need to happen.

But every parent needs some time to update or chat or voice things once in a while. If you don't ever speak to the coach I would find time once every few weeks to tell them something positive. Like dd came home so happy with the x the other week. Or dd is just so happy to be competing this year. Or even thanks for all your hard work. Or I'm sorry we are away next weekend for a wedding. It is much easier to come with an issue if you have built a relationship of sorts first.

Our coaches never darken the door to the lobby where parents are waiting for kids so that isn't a problem at our gym. Conversations about a gymnast's progress are held in private. No one wants to have a talk about our kids with other parents or the kids themselves around.
Our kids are at the gym five days a week though, no one needs daily updates.

The team coaches hardly ever come out at the end of practice, although, it seems like they try to make themselves available after practice once or twice a month. I have their phone numbers so I just send them a quick text during the day to let them know if DD is missing practice/will be late/etc. But many team parents just pull up to the front of the gym at the end of practice and their kid jumps in the car so the parent doesn't have to go in. I do this sometimes. I have also never seen an optional parent spend more than 5 minutes in the gym. Especially now that tuition can be paid online.

I have noticed many of the rec parents are on top of the coaches as soon they walk into the lobby with their classes. I try to watch 1 hour of practice at least once every other week, so it is a little irritating to have parents crowding around me for 15-20 mins trying to get to a coach while I am trying to watch. But, then again, I was definitely one of those parents when DD was 5.

I rarely go into my daughter's gym for pick up or drop off since we moved here. Mainly because my daughter will look for my reaction instead of her coach's and I would rather her pay attention to them. With that said, if she seems "off" or is struggling with a skill, I may pop in to check in with the coach to get her perspective (my daughter is a "pleaser" and will typically only tell me about things when they are going well). I avoid it as much as possible though.

At her old gym though, the running to the coach thing by certain parents is rampant. Those same parents are the ones who have their daughters in privates multiple times a week (in addition to the 20+ hours they already practice). Don't get me wrong, my daughter has done privates- just not 3-4 (or more) times a week. Who can afford that!?!? LOL

At her old gym though, the running to the coach thing by certain parents is rampant. Those same parents are the ones who have their daughters in privates multiple times a week (in addition to the 20+ hours they already practice). Don't get me wrong, my daughter has done privates- just not 3-4 (or more) times a week. Who can afford that!?!? LOL

Not only can I not afford that, my daughter would refuse. She's never had a private anyway, but there is no way she'd agree to 3-4 a week!! Jeez Louise! o_O

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back