age and more...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It is kind of funny how different gyms approach the age issue with the USAG girls. The coach at my daughters new gym seems to kind of time it to where his optional team girls are in middle school when they hit optionals. They practice later and don't end till 9 which is a little late for elementary school girls. We are fairly new so I am not sure if he has ever had any younger girls on the optional team. My daughter is 10 and the youngest level 5. Most of the others are 11 and in fifth grade. Her coach generally keeps the girls in level 4 and 5 for 2 years but they do a lot of uptraining and perform very well. My daughters old gym moved her up very quickly so we will see how this new approach goes over!!

My perspective may be a little different. Living in a small island I have no expectations of my DD. She won't be getting college gymnastics scholarships, she won't be going to the Olympics. We do not have the facilities to train here at that level. She will only ever compete this sport for fun and for the experience of representing her country in a sport overseas. I don't care how "far" she gets - that's not important. The very fact that she is part of a sports team, competing and training hard, builds her character and gives her a level of strength and fitness that she can use for the rest of her life to do all sorts of other sports and activities. i.e. it is good for her. With that perspective, it doesn't matter one bit how old she is when she does each level - the point is that she is continuing to enjoy the sport and is getting lots of health benefits from it. When she no longer enjoys it enough or she starts to suffer injuries that are hard to recover from (or that she doesn't want to have to deal with), then it's time to quit. But age really has nothing to do with it - not if you're with a gym that will continue to train her properly so she can get the benefits of her sport.

Thanks. you did read correclt between the lines :) I completely agree with your humble opinion, we initally started the gymnastics journey for the reasons you specified above, I guess that the last few weeks, seing her struggle, frustrated etc, kind of made me wonder. I do agree that the journey itslef IS the goal.

Thanks. you did read correclt between the lines :) I completely agree with your humble opinion, we initally started the gymnastics journey for the reasons you specified above, I guess that the last few weeks, seing her struggle, frustrated etc, kind of made me wonder. I do agree that the journey itslef IS the goal.

It can be really hard to keep the perspective sometimes, especially when you see little "superstars" flying through levels without a care. Trust me, I've had to fight those demons over and over again - I just need to keep remembering that it's MY issue, not hers. It is okay to let her struggle a bit - in fact I think it's really good for her. Then when she finally gets the skill, it will be that much sweeter, and she gets to experience the rewards of hard work - and see that they are intrinsic, not only based on an external reward. I think just learning that it's not just about "the last few weeks" will help a lot. You have to look at where she was this time last year, or even two years ago. I don't remember who said it, but remember that gymnastics is a marathon, not a sprint. Hang in there!

Just FYI, it can be hurtful when those with 8yo level 4s claim that they are worried their daughters are "too old". I know it would have bothered me when I competed level 4 for the first time at age 13. I worried so much about being "too old" that a comment like that could have seriously set me back. It is the same thing as when think girls complain that they are too heavy. You can't help but think "If she's too old/heavy, what am I?"

Obviously there is a need for candidness and honesty, but keep in mind...there is no such thing as "too old". Too old for what? Too old to go to the Olympics? You can't worry about where you're going to end up in 10 years. In all likelihood, the girl will be a star softball player or flutist by then. Making statements like "I worry that my daughter is too old for this sport" impresses upon older girls that if an eight year old is too old, then they, too, must be way too old. It is a sad world in which 13-year-old girls have already missed the only chance to do something they love. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if someone isn't going to make it to elite or level 10. If this eight-year-old maxes out at level 9, she's made it farther than most gymnasts ever will.

So well said!! My DD did some rec classes at a gym that didn't have a team up until she was 8. As she was "outgrowing" the pre-school equipment I looked for another gym. There was one nearby with a team. I knew NOTHING about this sport, being good enough to compete, what teams are like...not a thing. Long story short, at new gym did advanced class and "all star" in-house team at 9. Did Prep Opt Novice at 9-10 (DD was still swimming competitively at the time) and won states for her age group. Decides she LOVES gymnastics and can't handle practicing for two sports. Quits swimming, moves onto JO team wioth intention of competin level 5 as a 10-11 year old. Takes too long too get kip, must compete level 4. This year, competes level 5 as 11-12 year old.

She wants to compete in college. Will she ever get to that level in time?? I have no idea, but it is her goal and by default mine too because I support her. It is probably more likely that she will not get to level 9 by the end of high school, but I only tell her that if she keeps working hard anything is possible. So, my DD is a little old, but there are 3 other girls her age on her level 5 team and they try to look at themselves as leaders since they are the oldest ones at this level. And see that as a great outcome of this sport.

At one level per year, she MIGHT get there but it will be tough. All we can do is keep paying/driving/supporting. All she can do is stay focused, keep working hard, and keep loving it. And her coaches have to support her goals and try to help her get there. If it doesn't happen, I don't think any of us would say it was a waste.

My DD is 9 and step 4 in our system which I think is similar to level 4. She has to work harder than the rest of her teammates and usually takes longer to get the skills. Her best place ever in a competition was 6th equal. She does get discouraged and frustrated often. I doubt she will ever be a champion or get anywhere near level 10. I believe gymnastics is teaching her many good things (discipline, perseverance, hard work, determination, team spirit, etc.). As well as that being able to do the skills is fun and exciting for her. The feeling of flying around the bar or tumbling across the floor is a buzz. She was so thrilled when she finally got her round-off flic-flac on floor after working hard on it for months. She enjoys competitions because she likes performing. Of course she wants to score well but that isn't her primary focus. In my mind, every competitive gymnast is a winner and none of it is ever a waste.

There was a boy on my son's team that started the season in third to last place for his age group.....and finished state in THIRD PLACE(for his age group). Some kids just learn different.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back