Age minimums for certain skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wallinbl

Proud Parent
There have been a few threads on here where coaches state that some skills shouldn't be done at younger ages. I'm somewhat curious what these skills and ages are, and if the reasons are the same for every skill, or if there are different reasons for why to not try each skill too young.

I've never heard much in the way of ages from DD's coach, but he's very particular about the progression to many of the skills, and the quality/execution of the skills along the way. I'm not looking to go question the coach, but more just generally curious, especially since the USAG age minimums for levels seem pretty low (9 yo for L10).

the child's anatomy and biology will dictate in most circumstances as to who does what and at a certain age. and the biggest concern for an experienced coach is that too much, too soon can wreak havoc on one's vestibular system. put a 6 year old on a mini bike with no governor and you get the idea.:)

and USAG knows. this is why you can't be a level 10 under the age of 9. and i'll tell you i can't remember the last time or year that i saw a 9 year old level 10 anyway.:eek:

Prior to the age of 5, backbends, bwo, bhs are not recommended. I would assume fhs and fwo would be similar. It has something to do with spine and neck but I can't remember exactly. I inquired when dd was younger but that was years ago.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Of all the places I've worked, only 1 gym has actually followed the no bridges/backbends before age 5 rule. It's absolutely nuts how some coaches seem to have no regard for adequate progressions and what is developmentally appropriate.

I met a 10 yo level 10 @ a meet one time. Her family was doing crazy driving every day to get her to the gym with the coaches they wanted. No family life at all. And, they were also saying in the same breath, " she's a level 10 now, and we don't know what else there is for her to do for the next 6 years until competing olympic level or college consideration age"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back