WAG age/skill level for grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
Is there an 'appropriate' or average time for a gymnast to get their first set of grips?
DDs gym requires the girls to be a Level 5 OR a second year Level 4. I thought this was pretty standard, but I'm seeing a lot of posts about younger gymnasts getting them.
Is there are a difference between getting them younger vs. older? Or once they have a solid bar series/kip?

I was reading an article last night by a coach who said they didn't give gymnasts grips until they start training for release moves, around level 7. It said little ones/lower levels just don't have the hand/grip strength to really be able to safely use them thereby leading to more incidents of "peeling off" the bar.

Don't know about all that as I'm not that knowledgable about gymnastics. At our gym the girls get them once they have their kip pretty consistently and are moved to lvl 4. My 7 year old level 3 can't wait to get her's.

At our old gym they waited for my daughter because they thought she should train as many higher level skills first. Until they were told by a provincial team coach to get her in grips because her preference for no chalk would be hindering to future teams. So she was 9 and doing giants, handstands, flyaways when she got hers. And it took over a month for her to adapt.

We were at our previous gym when DD got grips - after a season of old 5/new 4/one season competing kips.

8 year old in tops and training for lvl 7 does not wear grips. Her hands have been too small for the brand the coach recommends. She has them, but she can't wear them. Every now and then she tries them out, but prefers no grips!

My 9 year olds don't wear grips either and they are already doing giants! Most of the girls in the gym get them just after level 4, but my girls have small hands and they like to feel the bar!

My gym says new L4 but I had to wear grips once I started working kips. The only way I can make a low/high bar kip is with grips lol :)

At our gym we get grips when the gymnasts are a certain size, though I don't know what size it is exactly. We have 2 level 7s that do giants without grips currently. They'll probably get them when the grow some more and start working release moves, but I could be wrong.

Is there an 'appropriate' or average time for a gymnast to get their first set of grips? Is there are a difference between getting them younger vs. older? Or once they have a solid bar series/kip?

Domalley; Appropriate time - Get grips when you need more grip on the UB's. Our staff recommends that when an athlete begins working USA-G L5 UB's they start using dowel grips. (FYI: We do not recommend our athletes use palm protectors (the leather pads w/o dowels)). I have not had a problem fitting the smallest hand gymnasts into the very small size and narrow leather grips of the quality brands on the market.

Difference - Get the grips when you need more grip on the UB's. It takes some time to get used to the pad of leather between your hand and the bar. The first few attempts on low bar will be telling as to how long it takes. For the first couple of UB rotations with new grips I have the athlete perform mastered skills with small magnitudes (swings/in-bar circling (BH circles/clear hips)/dismounts). Stay safe when getting used to the grips.

Lots of tactics when it comes to grips. I see International Elites still using bare hands and even gauze - it is a big world. I like our simple policy of grips - when you need more grip, get grips.

Simple, SBG -

Generally at my dds gym I think it's level 6 you have to get grips, but if you want to pay for it earlier you have the option, I think only a couple I the compulsories have them, maybe 3, but all of them are second year level 4, or first year level .

When DD had a particular bar coach, he started them in grips at level 4 (old 5). One of DD's teammates couldn't wear them because her hands were too small but everyone else did. I did notice that the group after DD's did not use grips because the new bars coach for that group didn't allow it. Seeing that, I got the impression that it's the preference of the particular coach on when a gymnast should get grips.

Our gym puts the girls in grips once the kip is consistant and have competed one meet old 5/new 4 without. We only had one girl who competed full season at old 5 without grips and started training with them after state. It took her awhile to get used to them. My DD was a little slower in the beginning adjusting and then with a new pair as well. But she does just fine now and doesn't worry when it's time for new.

grips after consistent straight arm kips and big enough hands to properly fit good dowel grips. boys get rings and high bar at same time, (although my younger one still not using his ring grips). DD didn't get her grips until old L6 (in the 6 weeks between last meet and state so she could get used to them). She's 2 years older and 6 inches taller now and still in a zero size....

We have a 13 yo girl training L8 that still doesnt use grips. We also have a 16 yo L7/8 that doesnt use them. My OG has had 3 pairs of grips... but has never competed in them.

SBG- sounds like my DD's coach is of similar mindset. When DD started swinging some really big tap swings and peeled off the bar a few times, it was time for grips. No more scary peels in the two years since (knock on wood).

I was reading an article last night by a coach who said they didn't give gymnasts grips until they start training for release moves, around level 7. It said little ones/lower levels just don't have the hand/grip strength to really be able to safely use them thereby leading to more incidents of "peeling off" the bar.

Don't know about all that as I'm not that knowledgable about gymnastics. At our gym the girls get them once they have their kip pretty consistently and are moved to lvl 4. My 7 year old level 3 can't wait to get her's.

that's why they make "just right" grips, etc; the grips are more narrow allowing more hand to rail surface (proprioception) and they have no problems at all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back