Parents All is Not Bunderful

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is there 2 scrunchies in there? Does she use gel? Is it affixed only with hair ties (you said no pins.) I know some who don't use pin will sew the bun.) Does it start with a tight pony tail? If so, it might help to have hair put her head upside down and brush the back of the hair into the ponytail to get it flat and tight. Slick all the hair down with gel as you make the pony tail.
I believe the answer to all those questions is Yes.

I haven't read every post on this thread so I hope I'm not repeating.... But the last step to the bun should be going over it with a fine tooth comb :)

Once it's securely in the bun, saturate her head with hair spray, a section at a time. Take a fine tooth comb and smooth out that section while still wet with the hairspray, obviously pulling the comb towards the bun. If you do it correctly it'll take care of all the fly-aways, smooth out all the brush marks, and sets the bun. It'll cause bumps and irregularities by the hair elastic, but that will be hidden by the scrunchie.

The bun itself is pretty!!!! the idea of having to do that every meet gives me angst.
I've only recently (since December) mastered the donut bun. And thankfully my DD likes it.
(last year, we did some cool braids with the front of the hair to pull those whispies in, but many times I had to re-do it 2 or 3 times when those little braids didn't lay COMPLETELY flat. Many tears. I did my best to hold my composure, as I have a stressy girl, but man it was hard! So now I've only had to re-do the high pony two different meets before doing the bun. But I've never had to re-do the bun. Knock on wood!)

Anyway, @GymDad9.9 is there any way you could itemize the directions for that bun? Because it does look totally cool!!! and for us, a bun with no pins would make life a little easier...

I love the title of this post! lol I told dd coach at the last meet that doing her hair is the most stressful part of the day for me. I keep the stress to myself usually muttering under my breath. :)

I haven't read every post on this thread so I hope I'm not repeating.... But the last step to the bun should be going over it with a fine tooth comb :)

Once it's securely in the bun, saturate her head with hair spray, a section at a time. Take a fine tooth comb and smooth out that section while still wet with the hairspray, obviously pulling the comb towards the bun. If you do it correctly it'll take care of all the fly-aways, smooth out all the brush marks, and sets the bun. It'll cause bumps and irregularities by the hair elastic, but that will be hidden by the scrunchie.

Awesome! I love the advice here and am going to try this at the next meet. Thanks.

The bun itself is pretty!!!! the idea of having to do that every meet gives me angst.
I've only recently (since December) mastered the donut bun. And thankfully my DD likes it.
(last year, we did some cool braids with the front of the hair to pull those whispies in, but many times I had to re-do it 2 or 3 times when those little braids didn't lay COMPLETELY flat. Many tears. I did my best to hold my composure, as I have a stressy girl, but man it was hard! So now I've only had to re-do the high pony two different meets before doing the bun. But I've never had to re-do the bun. Knock on wood!)

Anyway, @GymDad9.9 is there any way you could itemize the directions for that bun? Because it does look totally cool!!! and for us, a bun with no pins would make life a little easier...

I'll try to transcribe the video when I get a chance.

Eek that is one complicated bun. Shame on the coach.. The stress she ends up putting your family through over this will not improve your dd scores...... Hope you find a way to manage it .

In the back of my mind I worry about the bun stress as a detriment to my daughter's demeanor, confidence, and performance. I know it's painful for my wife, which is not good. I have no idea why it is this bun and not some other bun. Having said that, the coaches are wonderful people; my daughter loves them; they work really hard; they know what they are doing; and they consistently produce state championship teams.

In the back of my mind I worry about the bun stress as a detriment to my daughter's demeanor, confidence, and performance.

I totally get this. Someone once joked that hair could lose a girl the meet. And thought she was making a true "joke". Then I told her the story about DD and her braid... and a full wall mirror during warm up. And part of the braid had pulled out a little. She focused and focused on it. Finally in tears she went to the coach, and came RUNNING to me SOBBING (I thought she must have just hurt herself), for me to rebraid her ponytail. I wanted to strangle her, but I quietly quickly did it.
She still kept looking in the mirror but now I knew what she was looking at so if she caught my eye, I'd give her a look of "get over it". Lowest floor score of the season.
then at bars I saw her worried about a piece of hair on her neck. Lowest bars score of the season.

So now, as much as I hate 3 or 4 clips on the hair from the neck up to the bun (I think "whispies" look just fine), if it stops her from hyper-focusing during a meet, by all means, I put those clips!

We discuss and work on the importance of wardrobe malfunctions and that includes hair snafus....... Deep breathe and just keep going.

I totally get this. Someone once joked that hair could lose a girl the meet. And thought she was making a true "joke". Then I told her the story about DD and her braid... and a full wall mirror during warm up. And part of the braid had pulled out a little. She focused and focused on it. Finally in tears she went to the coach, and came RUNNING to me SOBBING (I thought she must have just hurt herself), for me to rebraid her ponytail. I wanted to strangle her, but I quietly quickly did it.
She still kept looking in the mirror but now I knew what she was looking at so if she caught my eye, I'd give her a look of "get over it". Lowest floor score of the season.
then at bars I saw her worried about a piece of hair on her neck. Lowest bars score of the season.

So now, as much as I hate 3 or 4 clips on the hair from the neck up to the bun (I think "whispies" look just fine), if it stops her from hyper-focusing during a meet, by all means, I put those clips!

I cringe when I see her out there poking at the bun, which because of its size, wobbles even if put together perfectly.

I cringe when I see her out there poking at the bun, which because of its size, wobbles even if put together perfectly.
She is a relatively new gymmie, who is probably not used to having her hair up, especially in a bun. This will pass.

I do wonder if there is a way to secure it so it is less wobbly.
There are... I wish badly I could get my hands on this bun. I could secure it so that it stays in her head for three days. (Ask me how I know, it's a battle I won't fight with my dd. She just took out her meet hair last night from the weekend, blech!!!)

It can be sewn in, and secured, with a loooong, dull needle, and fishing line. Or it can be held in place with a hair net and then the hairnet can be secured with hair clips. And I'll repeat what others have said, be sure to form it while it's damp, and lots of gel and hairspray.

Reactions: sce

I watched the video and this is the best I can do. Hope it makes sense.

1. Slick back hair, not one flyaway

2. Two elastic bands at the same time wrapped as many times (3x each preferred) at base of ponytail

3. Separate ponytail in two, hairsprayed and as sticky as possible, and braid the length of ponytail

4. Take braided ponytail and bring and pull through one of the wrapped bands at base of ponytail

5. Wrap remaining braid around bun and tie with two more elastic bands

6. Take black scrunchy and wrap around bun

7. Top off with competition scrunchy

Bun forms. They are like spongy donuts. This saved mine and my daughter's relationship on meet mornings. First of all, understand that there is no USAG ban on bobby/bun pins. It's gym preference. Not once have I ever seen a bobby pin on the floor at the gym or a meet. That said, this sort of bun is easy to do without bobby pins. And if you do use them and use them correctly they A) won't fall out and B) would be sufficiently hidden so nobody knows anyway.

That said, a bun donut is easy to use. Ponytail. Pull hair through donut and have DD look down. You form the hair over the donut and secure with a hair tie. Have her look straight ahead and you wrap the remaining hair around and secure with another hair tie(s). Hair net (bun style as opposed to full head), hair tie (or four bobby pins like I do) and then the scrunchy. Seriously, all screaming has stopped in our house.

The girl in this video's hair isn't super long, but this method works for any length AND the bun forms come in small, medium, and large. If you have a Sally Beauty supply that's where we get the forms and the hair nets. The silicone hair ties, which I HIGHLY recommend over the fabric ones, I ended up finding at Walgreens.

I'm very experienced at hair, but the fear of her bun falling out was strong for me and her so we've had to work hard to get something that she is comfortable with.

One more thing - if the bun you pictured is the "required" bun, I might talk to the coach and explain that there's an issue with making that happen and is there an alternative.

Reactions: sce
4. Take braided ponytail and bring and pull through one of the wrapped bands at base of ponytail
I am having trouble picturing this.

5. Wrap remaining braid around bun and tie with two more elastic bands

6. Take black scrunchy and wrap around bun
Not sure I understand the need for the black scrunchy. I am wondering, too, if a net would be useful to secure this bun. It would be put on after the second braid is wrapped and could be secured with an elastic.

Have you or her Mom talked to any other parents to get some tips? Esp. other girls with hair similar to yours?

Bun forms. They are like spongy donuts. This saved mine and my daughter's relationship on meet mornings. First of all, understand that there is no USAG ban on bobby/bun pins. It's gym preference. Not once have I ever seen a bobby pin on the floor at the gym or a meet.
My dd has encountered bobby pins on the floor at many meets. it can be an issue. They need to be properly secured. No matter for the OP, that gym does not seem allow them.

I read the tutorial, and can't figure out the first braid being pulled through...

As far as bun donuts - they are my lifesaver!!!! I do DD's pretty much like the video above, except that I twist the remaining hair as I twist it around the bun, and we do use bobby pins. DD has very thick, waist-length hair, and this hairstyle works perfectly for us (Thank heavens!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back