DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
[youtube]K04GzW_GjtI[/youtube]

Watch the slow-mo replay. As she blocks off the table, she does a clearly visible 1/4 turn to the left -- but then switches directions and performs the front 3/2 to the right.

Is there something here that I'm missing?

Watch her stomach- she twists all in the same direction. She finishes the block so she stalls in the air before she twists, then she twists so fast!

Look right at 0:35 seconds. You can see where it changes

At 0:35 she's finishing the last 1/2 of a 1 1/2 twisting front (rudi). Right twist. She's definitely not changing directions at that point in the twist or it would be pretty obvious. I keep looking at the block and I'm not really noticing a significant left twist either though...

Oh wow at first I didn't see it, but now it is OBVIOUS. Look at her stomach right after she blocks. You can see that she does not go all in the same direction.

it's called 'borrowing'. she shortens her left side to torque right. she 'lifts' her left hand/arm from the table first. this causes the right side of the body to lengthen to the right side momentarily. this causes the axis to turn left for just a moment as her 'wrapping' left hand has to lift from the table to 'wrap' to the right or the 'lengthened' side of her body.

as you are probably aware as coaches, to perform a handspring full, and if you want to twist right, you will 'drop' your left arm. and the opposite for left twist. you can see this same phenomena on handspring fulls just as they leave the table.

hope this explains it for you all.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I guess I can see what people mean now if they mean the initiation of the right twist with the left arm block, but I guess I don't see it as a 1/4 twist left, that seems a little excessive to me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back