ankle injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

during the month of january, i had three sprained ankles-2 varified by doctors. i was still in my high school gymnastics season, and my coach would tape my ankles every day. now, i only go to my regular gym, where they do not tape my ankles, so i have to tape my own on the way there. taping and having to buy the supplies is a pain-and expensive. so, i was wondering if anyone had a similar expierence? should i continue to tape my ankles, buy braces for practice (and if so, what kind), practice and compete without any ankle support?

Ankle Injury

I also had to ankle sprains this season. My own coach couldn't tape mine so I was getting another coach to tape them which I felt bad asking every practices because she was busy with her own group and you are right buying tape is expensive since it takes like a whole role everytime you tape them so I did get a brace and it works way better then the tape the one I got is TriLoi by bioskin. It works really good, you will like never roll your ankle again wearing it. It costs like 100 dollars but my parents insurance covered it but if you think about it if you keep buying tape that is going to add up to even more seeing as you will have to keep tapeing it for a long time becuase your ankle is weaker and more prone to being sprained again.

I know this was really long but I hoped it helped :)

during the month of january, i had three sprained ankles-2 varified by doctors. i was still in my high school gymnastics season, and my coach would tape my ankles every day. now, i only go to my regular gym, where they do not tape my ankles, so i have to tape my own on the way there. taping and having to buy the supplies is a pain-and expensive. so, i was wondering if anyone had a similar expierence? should i continue to tape my ankles, buy braces for practice (and if so, what kind), practice and compete without any ankle support?

This suggestion is for outside of practice. I had problems with my right ankle twisting often. Eventually my mother found a shoe with a rollerball and I haven't had a sprained ankle since and it's been about 5 years. The brand of the shoe I had was New Balance. I definetly recommend this shoe. They are a little pricey but in the end it was worth it because it straightened my ankle and like I mentioned before I haven't had problems since.

I broke my ankle back in January and when I was able to start back into gym again in late March, my dr advised that I continue heavily taping it til the end of the semester when my class ended (mid May). I got totally spoiled at my gym where there was a college team training so I got to be taped by their athletic trainer, so when I moved back home to a new gym and had to tape my own ankle, I was horrendous at first. I learned how to be efficient with my tape because like you said, it IS expensive. WalMart actually has some fairly cheap, I noticed.

Anyways, I tried to wean myself off the taping so my ankle would gradually strengthen, and so far it has worked great. I definitely needed the tape at first, but I didn't want to get reliant on it. If you slowly work your way out of it, your ankle should strengthen up on its own. But like I said, it took me until now, July, to be 100% comfortable without tape. You definitely have to take it slow and make sure your ankle has 100% healed before you try stuff without it. The first few times I didn't tape, my ankle was pretty sore the next day, but now it isn't sore at all.

Anyways I hope this helped a little! At least to give you some hope that you might not always have to tape or wear a brace :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back