Ankle injury, how to know when it is good to go back?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
Okay before I even start I have seen a medical doctor already. They simply told me my ankle wasn't broken and was either sprained or that I may have ruptured a tendon, either way she said the treatment is the same. I had crutches for a couple days and have a good brace now, but I am now able to walk on even surfaces without a brace or limp. She gaves me some rehab excersises which I do but she did not have an answer on when it was safe to go back to training (this was an ER) also it is not swollen or bruised but it has a tinge of pain, especially during some movements, it is generally kind of achey and it feels weak, not as weak as it was but still weak. The injury happened 2 weeks ago.

I know no one here is a Dr. and you can't see me in person but as a general idea how long was it before you/ your dd, ds or athlete was able to train again with an ankle injury?

The thing is also I do trampoline and double mini trampoline not regular gym. Also is it normal to have some pain while practicing for a while or should you stop with any pain? And I am planning to tape it and wear my brace and just start on trampoline, no double mini. I am just looking for references here or any suggestions. Also I am an adult, just so you don't think I am a child making health decisions.

Thanks

When you left the ER, didn't they refer you to a physician? That's usual standard medical practice. With my own daughter, she kept reinjuring her ankle after a very severe sprain... we finally did some PT several months later and she's been fine ever since. I sure wish we had done the PT right away instead of waiting for so long!

I recommend seeing a doctor that specializes in sports medicine, preferrably one that knows something about gymnastics. Just make sure you find out what your insurance covers. I have experience taking 1 dd to an ortho and the other to the sports med clinic that works with the gymnasts at the local university, and it was a huge difference. The ortho was totally competent in all things medical, but was clueless about what was involved in returning to training. It was really frustrating! Good luck in your recovery!

You should rest for 6-10 weeks. You should still go to gymnastics to do strength and flexibility so you are nnot completely sore when you get back. You should go to a doctor every 2 weeks. If after that it still hurts, you should go back to the doctor. It could be less or more than 6-10 weeks. Whenever you feel you are ready to get back to the gym safely you should go for it.:) Hope you feel better soon:)

I'm also an adult gymnast and I got a really bad ankle sprain on the tumble track last August. I rolled my ankle out to the side and then rolled on top of it, so I basically got two really bad sprains at once. I went to the ER and they took an x-ray which didn't show any breaks or anything. I had crutches and an air cast and I couldn't even attempt to put weight on it until 3 days after. My whole foot and ankle and half-way up my calf were swollen for 2 weeks and then just my ankle was swollen for another month after that. I went back to gymnastics after 6 weeks and just did conditioning and some easy bars stuff, but I was stupid and didn't go to physical therapy because I didn't think I had time with school and everything. It is now about 6 months later and my ankle is still only at about 85%. I did a lot of work to get the range of motion back for pointing and flexing my foot, and that is almost back to normal, but I recently realized I have basically ignored the range of motion going to the side. I am now finally scheduled for PT (first session on Thursday morning) and I really wish I had done it earlier because my ankle would probably be healed by now. I danced for 14 years and suffered about 10 minor ankle sprains in both ankles over the years, so I really need professional help so that this won't happen again. I haven't touched tramp since my injury and all I've done on tumble track is a cartwheel because I'm terrified of it now.

Anyway, long story short is that I highly recommend going to PT as soon as possible because that will really speed up the recovery.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back