Another one of those threads...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, so as many of you know I have a very strict coach. And jsut as I was thinking she was actually kinda nice, she messed it all up,, here is the story: Okay, I go to gymnastics 1 hr longer than my group because I am a higher level, so as my group was doing splits, I was working on layouts. Well, while my friend (we will call her duckling-its her nickname)was doing splits, our coach thought duckling could go down farther, but duckling was having some problems pushing down and our coach took duckling's hands, held them up in the air, and with her foot, pushed her down, duckling was bawling, but our coach just kept pushing her. I felt really uncomfortable considering I was tumbling right beside her, so I just want to know, is this normal for coaches to do this? Or is it just plain mean?

Was this oversplits or regular splits. What level is she? Splits are a requirement for any team I've ever coached so pushing was never an issue. I don't push girls down, but I have adjusted their hips to a more square position, and I'm told that feels just lovely. Also hip flexor stretching.

As a former gymnast I NEVER understood the issue with splits. Being surprised that they are required or refusing to work on them blew my mind.

Well, they were regular splits, but middle splits. We are in canada, and she is a level 4 gymnast, splits are not a requirement because there is no compulsory routines. So this is ok then? and just to let you know, duckling is 10

Well, they were regular splits, but middle splits. We are in canada, and she is a level 4 gymnast, splits are not a requirement because there is no compulsory routines. So this is ok then? and just to let you know, duckling is 10

Well to be clear, when I said splits are required where I work it's been a gym requirement, not a USAG one or the like. A gymnast making a bid for a team spot had to do so with all 3 splits.

Is it ok? A lot of factors go into that I think. I had a girl on team who couldn't do middles for physiological reasons obviously that was accepted and worked around. I also have had girls in rec ask me to push them down, and I oblige them. What I'm feeling for as I do this is resistance, if I get ANY I stop. (sidenote: I hear muscular resistance, or pushing back, actually makes gymnasts less flexible. I don't know if this is true or not. I just stop because fighting them is pointless)

Have you asked Duckling what her feelings are on the matter? Do you know if she asked to be pushed down, etc? Also young children do cope with pain by crying sometimes. There may be an arrangement between her and the coach that you don't know about if you were off training layouts. Something that looked like torture could have been less sinister.

Edit: Also after looking at your recent post history, it looks like you really dislike your coach. It's entirely possible that your feelings regarding this person are coloring your perception of what goes on around you.

Last edited:
Ok, i think I should have made it more clear, first off, there are only three girls on my team so and we were the only ones in the gym and duckling was really getting yelled at by our coach that day. I knew she didnt want to be pushed down because our coach 'threatened' to push her all the way down and duckling got a panicky look in her eye and said she was going down as far as she could go so then our coach came, pushed her to the floor, held her there and then let her leave in tears. Duckling also has parents who coach and were there and didnt really care, like this just seemed so wrong to do espeacilly since she was bawling and kept saying I dont go down any farther. I felt so bad for duckling, and I know how it hurts because I have been pushed to the floor when I REALLY didnt want to. But if you say this is normal, then I may just have to suck it up and hope duckling gets her splits.

I know all the time it sounds like I really dislike my coach. The truth is I think she is a wonderful coach when she is in a good mood, if shes not she is just plain scary which is most of the time. I know I just need to suck it up because I want to go elite, but you know, Everyone just likes a place where they can vent and have help from other people or talk about accomplishments, my coach has been on the national team and stuff but i really feel like she has no idea what we are going through. And one thing that doesnt really help with her yelling all the time is that I am a complete clutz. I mean once in a meet I walked off the beam while doing dance moves and she just walked away. I do love my coach, and sure she probably loves me, but its very hard for someone with a short attention span get along nicely with someone with a short temper. I really do like mycoach and all,but sometimes I just like to know that sone people are going through the same thing as me, as it is really hard to deal with. I hope all you guys dont think that I am only going to come on this site and complain, because I am not. Right now I am just a little messed up mentally, too many things to think about, and I have found an escape route full of lovely and caring people, I dont want you guys to think I am an annoying person who has nothing else to do in life but complain, because I am not, I am a nice person and I cannot talk to someone and not say a compliment about them, and i REALLY dont want you to think my coach is a bad person either, just some things she does seems alittle unusaul or harsh.

Ok, i think I should have made it more clear, first off, there are only three girls on my team so and we were the only ones in the gym and duckling was really getting yelled at by our coach that day. I knew she didnt want to be pushed down because our coach 'threatened' to push her all the way down and duckling got a panicky look in her eye and said she was going down as far as she could go so then our coach came, pushed her to the floor, held her there and then let her leave in tears. Duckling also has parents who coach and were there and didnt really care, like this just seemed so wrong to do espeacilly since she was bawling and kept saying I dont go down any farther. I felt so bad for duckling, and I know how it hurts because I have been pushed to the floor when I REALLY didnt want to. But if you say this is normal, then I may just have to suck it up and hope duckling gets her splits.

No I never said it's 'normal', I would say it's situational though. My advice to you would be to workout, do your best, and be ducklings friend because it sounds like she needs some team support. Also to bring your concerns up to your parents and coach. If you don't feel ok about what is going on, the best thing to do is bring it to light and not let it fester.

I wouldn't use my foot to push a kid down, but have helped them balance with their arms up. I have no interest in stretching a kid at all until they're crying and don't really see why anyone would. I used to have my shoulders stretched like that...although I didn't cry, some did at that level (we were probably L5 or 6).

I don't have a middle split all the way down (fairly close, esp if I do oversplits first), but good enough active flexibility and muscle twitch that I can do a 180 straddle jump and switch side. 've been stretching this for years...oversplits, stretching it laying down with my legs pushed under something, etc, and I've never had this down so I'm pretty much giving up hope at this point. I have forward splits down at least a foot off the floor in oversplits. I think the forward split and pancake are more important, personally. As well as active flex.

Yes, lots of coaches do this it is very normal. As you are trying out for team you will find out that most team coaches do it. Your coach will be very experienced and she will be able to tell when the tears are caused by normal split pain and when its safe to push her further. Lots of girls cry in splits it doesn't mean that they are really upset it is usually just a reaction.

I stretch my kids like this all the time because they ask me too. They want to get better at their splits and they know this will help a lot. None have ever been injured as a result.

To achieve harder gymnastics skills safely and with correct technique, all 3 split positions MUST be within a gymnasts range. Even at lower level, splits are one of the very first basics all gymnasts should learn and work to perfection.

Lack of flexibility can lead to much more severe injuries than the pain of being stretched.

As a coach, I do various assisted stretches with my gymnasts, which can be painful at times. Every child has a different personality, so you can never tell which is going to break down in tears. I have had kids ask me to stretch them, start crying, and tell me to continue stretching them anyway, because they realise how important it is.

However, stretching should be gradual, it should never be a forced push. I agree with the previous posters, support duckling and be her friend.

Out of interest, how old are you? If you are older than duckling, try explaining to her why she is being stretched, explain the importance of it, and how it will help her gymnastics and stop her from hurting herself.

If you still have concerns, speak to your parents about it!

Hope this helps :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News