Parents anyone else get stress about choosing the size for competition leos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know that they should look form fitting but I don't want to only get one season out of them either.

Any tips on picking the right size? Do you pick one with a little room to grow? Or do you choose the correct size for now and suck it up and buy a new one next year if the child has a growth spurt?

I think it's the long sleeves that makes the big difference in picking out the size of the leo
One of our coaches mentioned that they should fit well, ie not room to grow. As she pointed out, "That is all they are wearing out there."

I know that they should look form fitting but I don't want to only get one season out of them either.

Any tips on picking the right size? Do you pick one with a little room to grow? Or do you choose the correct size for now and suck it up and buy a new one next year if the child has a growth spurt?

I think it's the long sleeves that makes the big difference in picking out the size of the leo
One of our coaches mentioned that they should fit well, ie not room to grow. As she pointed out, "That is all they are wearing out there."

Figuring out the right size is not helped by the fact that my DD thinks that all competition leos are uncomfortable so if you ask her how it feels she tells you it isn't comfortable so it must be right.

We parents don't get to choose the size. The kids get measured, and the leos are custom made to their measurements. They are always skin tight. But they are short sleeved so we don't have that issue.

Leo's stretch though? Even if you get form fitting now you should still get a couple of years surely? I bought my DD leo's when she started team age 7 and she still fits into all of them now, age 9.5.

Leos stretch, but when your gymmie can't get her leo off herself (and you literally have to PEEL it off after 30 minutes), it is time for a bigger size. Last year, we HOPED YG could make it through the 2nd year of our team leotard... we borrowed a leo 2 sizes bigger for her to wear for Nationals.

This always causes me stress! My DD had the same leo design for both L4 and L5/6, but grew a ton in between seasons, so we ended up with two of the same (ugly!) leos, at $100 each. Last year, when she competed L7, we got new leos and there were a lot of ordering issues--they were custom-made ($160 each) and many ended up fitting differently than how the non-custom from that brand fit. I was also talked into ordering a CL rather than an AXS, which would have given her some extra room. So, last season her leo fit, but with little room left to grow.

Now, heading into L8, we were expected to order in June for a season that doesn't start till January. Most of us were afraid of our girls having a growth spurt during that time and then having a leo that didn't fit. We expressed how this was stressing us out to HC, and she agreed to do a second order in October for the optional girls. Yay! That's much closer to when the girls will need them. :)

Our girls had a leo/warm-up try on day, and I was just handed the sizes to order. The leo sizing was exactly what I would have thought: CS. It's what ALL of her other leks are.
We've only gotten the practice leo back and it is TIGHT! Please oh please make the comp leo have more give!!!

We also have no say in the size. DD works out in leos at least one size up from what she competes in -- in the coach's opinion, if the leo is not cutting off the child's circulation, it is too loose. I am hoping against hope that maybe this year she will be permitted to move up to a CL. She will be 13 . . .

And this coach, unfortunately, happened to be in the room when I dragged DS in for the boys' program director to check the fit of comp gear for the guys last summer. She said he was "just fine!" in his CM singlet. By regionals, I was starting to get worried that we were going to have a Janet Jackson incident.

We are not allowed to pick our sizes. We get measured and its whatever those measurements are. Our coach is very picky about them fitting. She does not want any gaps or droopy bums. So often we only get one year out of them. We sell them within our club for 50% of the cost price on the second year. We change out our suits every two years. There is no way my daughters leo will fit next year and unfortunately I had no say in the matter. $180 :(

Very! If it's too big and noticeable, then judges deduct. If it's too small, then I will have to buy a new one in January....the sizers NEVER fit like the real leotard. My DD measures out as a CS but all her Leo's are now CM and that's what I got her. It fits fine in my opinion, nice and taut on the bodice, and a bit wrinkled by the shoulders. It should last a while. $150 cost.
Last leotard had some girls picking out wedgies in the middle of comp!!!!OMG that is bad!

Very! If it's too big and noticeable, then judges deduct. If it's too small, then I will have to buy a new one in January....the sizers NEVER fit like the real leotard. My DD measures out as a CS but all her Leo's are now CM and that's what I got her. It fits fine in my opinion, nice and taut on the bodice, and a bit wrinkled by the shoulders. It should last a while. $150 cost.
Last leotard had some girls picking out wedgies in the middle of comp!!!!OMG that is bad!

My girls wear a child L short sleeve for practice. My oldest can get the sizer on in a child L but can't get her sister old comp leo in a child L up over her shoulders and we are ordering from the same company GK so I don't have a lot of faith in the sizers. I sure of the size I want to order my youngest daughter but its my oldest that I keep flip flopping over.

Our girls had a leo/warm-up try on day, and I was just handed the sizes to order. The leo sizing was exactly what I would have thought: CS. It's what ALL of her other leks are.
We've only gotten the practice leo back and it is TIGHT! Please oh please make the comp leo have more give!!!

EEK How long do you keep your leos for?

I'm with meganliz- parents at DD's gym never see them try anything on, nor do we have a say in what size is ordered for them. We are billed, and the leos arrive.

DD's head coach is very particular about how they fit, and apparently she wants no parental input on that decision! The girls get new leos every year to minimize any ill-fitting leos...although my 10-year-old DD got a size AS last year - if she needed to go up a size EVERY year, we'd be in trouble!

I'm with meganliz- parents at DD's gym never see them try anything on, nor do we have a say in what size is ordered for them. We are billed, and the leos arrive.

DD's head coach is very particular about how they fit, and apparently she wants no parental input on that decision! The girls get new leos every year to minimize any ill-fitting leos...although my 10-year-old DD got a size AS last year - if she needed to go up a size EVERY year, we'd be in trouble!

Does your style change each year? Curious as to your cost, if you have to update each year? We are right at the 200 dollars mark but we get them every two years. It seems that most gyms the coaches measure and order the leos (our gym's policy seems to be the minority).

Does your style change each year? Curious as to your cost, if you have to update each year? We are right at the 200 dollars mark but we get them every two years. It seems that most gyms the coaches measure and order the leos (our gym's policy seems to be the minority).

Yes, completely different style of leo each year. In fact, this year, apparently we're getting new colors too. They try to keep the cost "reasonable." New warmups are every other year.

Glad that they keep it reasonable- I was just wondering if there was a lot of trading among gymnasts so you didn't have to buy each year but with new styles that wouldn't be possible

At our gym we buy new comp Leo's every 2 years if we need to go up a size in an off year our gym will allow us to sell the old Leo for half price to another gymnast and allow us to purchase a Leo from another - they are in charge of finding the person to trade with both ways. It makes it very easy and less stressful. Although we don't want to buy new Leo's every year knowing it's basically a trade makes it more bearable

At our gym we buy new comp Leo's every 2 years if we need to go up a size in an off year our gym will allow us to sell the old Leo for half price to another gymnast and allow us to purchase a Leo from another - they are in charge of finding the person to trade with both ways. It makes it very easy and less stressful. Although we don't want to buy new Leo's every year knowing it's basically a trade makes it more bearable

That is really nice- I know in the past our gym has done this as well. I was lucky enough to know a mom whose daughter decided to quit team when my daughter was starting and gave us her old warmup. So one year I got to skip out on buying a new warm up. Then the next year we changed styles- it was good while it lasted.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back