Parents Anyone ever had a meet cancelled do to weather?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
In defense of those of us who live in the metro areas that shut down in the snow, I know that some areas are just set up to handle it so much better. It doesn't make sense for Houston or Atlanta to keep all of the sand/salt on hand or to have snow plows for the once every 5 years that there is enough snow/ice to warrant the use of those things.

Compare that to when we go out to WY and ID each winter. There are days that we get 1-2 FEET in a day and I'm still out driving in it, no problem. Even driving up a mountain. Because those states are prepared to handle that amount of snow. In the South the roads just become covered in ice and it doesn't matter how good at driving in snow you are, there is no being good at driving on ice. (oh, and we also don't have chains or snow tires down here.)

It is definitely easier to drive when the area and drivers are more prepared. My area gets wintry weather 1-2 times per year. Usually not a lot, just a couple inches of snow covered by ice. The city doesn't use salt and it isn't feasible to stock up on enough sand to cover the entire metro area. Most people's attitudes are that they would rather stay off the roads than contend with other drivers in the slippery conditions, thus our meets get cancelled on occasion.

What is most comical is that all of our news stations will air wall-to-wall coverage of any storm. There could be 2 inches of snow and we all get continuous coverage of 'Snowmageddin' or 'Winter blast' and get to watch a looped video of the same bus sliding down one of our many hills for 10 hours. I think if people from the more snowy states saw our reaction, they would think we are nuts :)

We've never encountered a meet that's been cancelled and we live in an area with snow/ice and compete all winter long. I was just commenting to a friend yesterday, that I wish they'd have our gymnastics competitive season in the summer, when the weather is decent and the roads are clear! ;) Knowing meets aren't cancelled due to weather (though I'd imagine that it must happen at some point), we just leave with PLENTY of time to get there, if weather is a worry on meet day. So, if we have to leave a couple of hours sooner and end up being there super early, then so be it. Coaches don't want us to be late and they expect us to be there, pretty much there's not many excuses for not showing up!

It is definitely easier to drive when the area and drivers are more prepared. My area gets wintry weather 1-2 times per year. Usually not a lot, just a couple inches of snow covered by ice. The city doesn't use salt and it isn't feasible to stock up on enough sand to cover the entire metro area. Most people's attitudes are that they would rather stay off the roads than contend with other drivers in the slippery conditions, thus our meets get cancelled on occasion.

What is most comical is that all of our news stations will air wall-to-wall coverage of any storm. There could be 2 inches of snow and we all get continuous coverage of 'Snowmageddin' or 'Winter blast' and get to watch a looped video of the same bus sliding down one of our many hills for 10 hours. I think if people from the more snowy states saw our reaction, they would think we are nuts :)

So true about the news stations! I grew up in the North and all my family still lives there. I now live in the south and I still laugh at the "Storm" coverage on the news when we get 1-2 inches! We did have a meet a few years ago where an unexpected ice/snow storm came up during the meet (seriously it was sunny and beautiful at the beginning of the meet and by the end of the session there was 3-4 inches of snow/ice). The drive home was rather terrifying with all the semi-trucks and cars in the ditches!

When the snow flies there is a good chance the meet will be cancelled. Just too dangerous to drive if there is an inch falling every hour and you have at least 18 hours predicted to go. The meet folks have to look too at when folks get out of the meet how bad is it going to be and what about the parking situation. No on street parking during snow emergencies.

In defense of those of us who live in the metro areas that shut down in the snow, I know that some areas are just set up to handle it so much better. It doesn't make sense for Houston or Atlanta to keep all of the sand/salt on hand or to have snow plows for the once every 5 years that there is enough snow/ice to warrant the use of those things.

I totally get that too. We lived in Seattle for a couple of years, and I was surprised at how little they were able to handle snow. Winters for them are mostly rainy and in the upper 30s-40s. We had one "storm" of 2-3 inches there, and NO ONE went anywhere. It was kind of comical for us New England natives, but really, with the hilly roads and lack of plows or sanding trucks, the roads really were kind of treacherous.

Nope never had, seen or heard of a meet being cancelled due to weather. But it doesn't get cold enough to snow here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back