Parents Anyone have a problem handling "down" time?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter does not seem to know what to do with herself when we don't have gymnastics! On days we don't go she almost doesn't seem to know how to just relax and chill. I guess she is so used to getting home, doing homework, having a snack and going to the gym that on days she is home she is bored and thinking we have to go, go, go! Anyone else have this problem? I would think that she would enjoy having some chill time (I look forward to these days where I am not driving to and from the gym!) but she would live there if she could apparently! Just wondering if this is a common thing or if it is just my daughter!

I used to be like this when i was younger. They definetly do grow out of it around 5th-8th grade. when the homework load gets heavier and the want to have a some what social life. I dont really have a suggestion of how to fiix it but you are definetly not alone.

This week and next we're in a 2 week break because it's the end of the season (last States meet last weekend). I know the older kids want it, but Kathy starts climbing the walls. It becomes hard to get her to sleep at night. Another mom and I have arranged for a "private" lesson (our 2 DD's) at the local private gym each week, a play date on the friend's trampoline once a week, and the coach agreed to an open gym session each week. Hopefully that will keep her active enough to sleep at night, at least!

We try to make the most of the "off" days & she usually spends time w/ a friend, sleepovers, mall or movies so she is never really bored. Since she also does softball, we were finding not too much down time at all this past month...until she broke her thumb 2 weeks ago. Now with the extra down time she is going NUTS! I think I may go nuts too. The end of May dive team starts too so that will be an extra activity she really enjoys outside of gym and w/a different group of kids. Is there another sport or activity your DD would like to try for those off days??

Oh my! I could have written this myself as my dd is the same way!!!

I try not to fill her time when she if off from the gym but it is always a nightmare and she wants to going / doing all the time. She's active 24/7 but it almost needs to be scheduled activity or I hear "I'm bored" (unless she's with a friend). My ds is the same way. It's hard on the family because we feel like we have to provide constant entertainment and we just can't do it (or afford it) all the time. Even open gym time is getting to be too much extra money at this time.

My daughter has been like this for years now that she is 11 and just decided to stop gymnastics, it is a lot worse. I wonder if I created this by over scheduling her doing stuff (she has been in activities since she has been 4 but cut back to only gym when she started the team at 7. Her sister is not like this so I do not know maybe she has hyperactivity disorder. I have to entertain her 24/7 and she can not sit still. If she is watching tv she is upside down or moving around. I would just ignore her it is probally a good thing she is in gymnastics to burn off her energy and if she continues with the sprot the hours will increase. I just will have to find another activity that daughter can do to burn her energy it is hard to find something where they had 4 hourss of intense practice like gymnastics.

DD is also on the move constantly. Luckily the weather is getting warmer, and she can play on her swingset outside on non-gym days. She also has two non-gym friends who she loves to play with when she doesn't have gym. She is now fortunate to be uptrainning and the constant challenge seems to be enough for her that she stops trying to defy gravity at home. Sometimes I had to raise my voice because she thought she was " Evil Kinevo" (SP)! It does get better as they age. DD is only seven, but she does value the days when she isn't in gym. However, she races me to the car when she does! It's in their blood I think!!

things change once they hit middle school. ^^^knievel :) and one of my favorites i saw LIVE on TV as a kid. it was like the Olympics to me. Evel Knievel and the Caesar's Palace - Bing Videos

evil and cassius clay. i couldn't get enough of their kind of gymnastics. both mental and physical.:cool:

wasn't trying to hijack the thread...just jogged my memory of what i used to look for on TV when i wasn't working out and had that extra time on my hands.

Nice to know I am not alone and that it hopefully will get better! Yesterday was early release from school and a non gymnastics day and even after going swimming at a friends, going to her other friends to play, and going to the park with her brother she was still bouncing off the walls. I guess I should be glad she is active considering that I complain that my boys spend way too much time inside! LOL! I just don't want her to think that the whole world revolves around her and that she has to be entertained all the time.

things change once they hit middle school. ^^^knievel :) and one of my favorites i saw LIVE on TV as a kid. it was like the Olympics to me. Evel Knievel and the Caesar's Palace - Bing Videos

evil and cassius clay. i couldn't get enough of their kind of gymnastics. both mental and physical.:cool:

wasn't trying to hijack the thread...just jogged my memory of what i used to look for on TV when i wasn't working out and had that extra time on my hands.
Thanks for the correction dunno. My brothers were also quite taken with Knievel as well! I thought he was nuts personally, but I think that's what he was going for!!:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back