WAG Back Extension on Beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mimi

Proud Parent
Apparently the new level 5 will contain an option to do a back extension on the beam or a back walkover, or a bhs. Coaches, gymnasts, experienced parents: what is the value of doing a back extension on beam? Is this something they will do in optional, or does it lead into some kind of an optional skill? DD's team was working these at practice yesterday, and it was beyond ugly to watch, and I have to say, it had me scratching my head a little as to why they were doing it at all because most all the girls currently have a bwo on beam and many are working the bhs.

I know very little about gymnastics, so, what's the point of the back extension on beam??

My daughter just recently started trying these on her floor beam at home. Mostly they are funny. She sits, she rolls....to the side and looks like a turtle on its back!

I don't know exactly what got her started on this because she can do a back walkover on beam and has no back problems. But she is just determined to get this skill that she will never have to compete.

Oh well, it amuses me so I guess there is intrinsic value in that.

it is currently an option at L6, instead of the back walkover. It does not need to be done with completely straight arms, and doesn't need to go to handstand.

yes^^^and vestibular issues.

Can you think of any reason why at practice the coach would have had them all working it? Even kids (such as my daughter) who already have a very consistent bwo, and bhs? It honestly looked like they were going to break their necks. I was kind of disturbed watching it, and ironically enough, my daughter woke up this morning with pain in the arch of her foot. No swelling or bruise, but it hurts to walk. She said she thinks it was from landing so hard on the side of the beam so many times while practicing the back extension on beam...:confused:

Is it at all a useful skill from which further progressions can be developed? Or is it just a blind alley that works as a temporary fix if the gymnast is having vestibular and/or fear issues with the BWO (which I know progresses)? If the latter, then I share Mimi's question.

We had a girl on our old team that did the back extension at level 6 because she had a horrible time with extremely tight shoulders. Its a very difficult skill to accomplish, but when she nailed it she normally won beam, its stunning.

Could it be possible that coach is introducing it "just in case"? Fear issues pop up and it would be nice to already have done the skill before and have it just in case. I know my daughter was learning it during her L6 season even though she had her BWO.

There was a girl on YouTube that had a back injury and did one connected to a BHS for L7, very pretty skill when done well.

Also could make for some fun variations for optional routines.

I had read how it was an option in L6 beam now and told my DD...she said she can see where someone who doesn't have a flexible back would be better at them than the back walkover, and actually understands why they'd make that an option for extreme cases. She says less flexible girls tend to be the best at back extension rolls, and at the same time the worst at backwalkovers, and the reverse is true for flexible girls. My DD is the type w/ a flexible back and could probably never do a back extension roll on beam (unless it was some type of cool optional move where she pushed up and went into a front walkover...haha...someday...lol)...

That's interesting that they are giving the option of a BHS in the new L5 (i.e. current L6) next year. Wonder if there will be extra points to be gained for doing one?

I had read how it was an option in L6 beam now and told my DD...she said she can see where someone who doesn't have a flexible back would be better at them than the back walkover, and actually understands why they'd make that an option for extreme cases. She says less flexible girls tend to be the best at back extension rolls, and at the same time the worst at backwalkovers, and the reverse is true for flexible girls. My DD is the type w/ a flexible back and could probably never do a back extension roll on beam (unless it was some type of cool optional move where she pushed up and went into a front walkover...haha...someday...lol)...

That's interesting that they are giving the option of a BHS in the new L5 (i.e. current L6) next year. Wonder if there will be extra points to be gained for doing one?
The way I read it, the start value would remain the same for all 3 skills 10.0.

No extra points. Some girls can do bhs better than bwo. Has to do with Flexibility, fears, speed of the action, etc.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

We had a girl on our old team that did the back extension at level 6 because she had a horrible time with extremely tight shoulders. Its a very difficult skill to accomplish, but when she nailed it she normally won beam, its stunning.

Yes. Same here. Girl in our gym has back pain issues so had to do the extension roll instead of the bwo. She's the state champ on beam...and I think its bc of her beautiful back extension roll. She was the only one to do one at States.

it depends on the kid. BUT, it's a pretty cool skill gymnastically speaking and can lead to some "old school" stuff that hasn't been seen in awhile...like a diamidov which is done on floor and p-bars in mens gymnastics.:)

[video=youtube;Kh1bAKDALW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh1bAKDALW8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Ha! She finally did one tonight. I have no idea if it is technically close to right but she's been working on it for about 3 days now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back