WAG Beam connection/skill ideas for xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mthegymqueen

Gymnast
Hi, I am an xcel gold gymnast trying to become a platinum next year and I am trying to find beam connections to try and compete or more acros I could try to get

Acros I have competed/done or close to competing

- handstand (not vertical)
- forward roll landing in a sitting pose (fall on it half of the time in competition)
- cartwheel (trying to replace this with my handstand for nationals and getting close to doing by myself)
- back shoulder roll (haven’t practiced it in a year and not really a skill I would compete unless I need to)

Acros I have worked on but never practice/compete (unless I need to)

- both walkovers (used to work them and got my back walkover on beam but, gave up on it from mental blocks)
- handstand forward roll (would love to do it for originality and have none on high beam but worried I would not get credit for it because of the lack of handstand I have when I do it)
- Roundoff (current working on it a little bit on low beam with panel mats if I do not get a connection on beam)
- back handspring (stopped working on because of mental blocks and they are really sloppy and do not look good)

I would really appreciate suggestions on what series I could work on getting or new acros to try that might help me

Thank you

It sounds like beam is a bit challenging for you based on your description. If your handstand isn't vertical and your cartwheel isn't really there by yourself, I have to wonder about your start value at this level and I wouldn't be worried about moving up if you can't do a vertical acro. I would focus on getting comfortable in a vertical handstand and then your cartwheel and go from there.

That being said,

The easiest for you with skills you currently have would probably be cartwheel swing through to handstand or a second cartwheel as long as you can get your handstand vertical.

If you do a flight skill, you're actually not required to have a series so having a roundoff or back handspring is nice - a lot of people around us also do dive cartwheels. It is also your B skill at that point.

I am personally partial to front walkovers as one part of series, as I did front walkover front handspring for a long time and eventually upgraded it to front aerial front handspring. But FWO to handstand or cartwheel is also nice.

Wish I had a good idea for you. Most platinum gymnasts that I have seen compete either cartwheel/cartwheel, roundoff, or back handspring.

I would focus on getting comfortable in a vertical handstand and then your cartwheel and go from there.
This!

Can you side handstand and comfortably fall both ways off high and low beams?
Can you turn from a forward handstand to a side handstand?

Knowing you can fall safely is the the best way to develop your ability to hold by removing fear.

There is a handstand in the middle of most acro skills on beam. If you have a solid handstand, you will feel far more comfortable with the other skills.

Good luck

It sounds like beam is a bit challenging for you based on your description. If your handstand isn't vertical and your cartwheel isn't really there by yourself, I have to wonder about your start value at this level and I wouldn't be worried about moving up if you can't do a vertical acro. I would focus on getting comfortable in a vertical handstand and then your cartwheel and go from there.

That being said,

The easiest for you with skills you currently have would probably be cartwheel swing through to handstand or a second cartwheel as long as you can get your handstand vertical.

If you do a flight skill, you're actually not required to have a series so having a roundoff or back handspring is nice - a lot of people around us also do dive cartwheels. It is also your B skill at that point.

I am personally partial to front walkovers as one part of series, as I did front walkover front handspring for a long time and eventually upgraded it to front aerial front handspring. But FWO to handstand or cartwheel is also nice.
I usually get a 9.5 start value because of my handstand

Keep in mind that for platinum beam there is still a requirement for an acro skill to pass through vertical, so a routine cannot be made up with only rolls. I'd suggest to keep training cartwheel and handstands and to try to compete some combo using them (CW CW, CW HS, HS HS, HS CW). Also, unfortunately a handstand forward roll is only considered to be 1 skill, so I do not believe it can count as a series.

Keep in mind that for platinum beam there is still a requirement for an acro skill to pass through vertical, so a routine cannot be made up with only rolls. I'd suggest to keep training cartwheel and handstands and to try to compete some combo using them (CW CW, CW HS, HS HS, HS CW). Also, unfortunately a handstand forward roll is only considered to be 1 skill, so I do not believe it can count as a series.
I've seen girls do 2 rolls as their series and a roundoff for their B skill. Is this not correct?

I've seen girls do 2 rolls as their series and a roundoff for their B skill. Is this not correct?
You don't need connected acro if you have a flight skill. So just a roundoff would be fine. I'm assuming they do the rolls to have enough A skills, but I don't know why. Dance moves at A level are probably a safer (i.e. less likely to fall off beam) bet.

I usually get a 9.5 start value because of my handstand
I’m curious about this. Gold handstands on beam don’t have to be vertical, or held, just both feet must close together at 45 degrees from vertical. Why is the handstand causing the lower start value? Has your coach asked a judge and this is what they said, or are you just thinking that’s why? maybe it was the lack of an acro passing through vertical, and not necessarily the handstand? You also don’t need to connect your acro in Gold beam In a series (unless it’s something like BWO+BWO, 2 of the same acro).
For platinum, you need one flight skill or 2 acro in a series. If you could get your round-off, that would count as your flight skill.

I’m curious about this. Gold handstands on beam don’t have to be vertical, or held, just both feet must close together at 45 degrees from vertical. Why is the handstand causing the lower start value? Has your coach asked a judge and this is what they said, or are you just thinking that’s why? maybe it was the lack of an acro passing through vertical, and not necessarily the handstand? You also don’t need to connect your acro in Gold beam In a series (unless it’s something like BWO+BWO, 2 of the same acro).
For platinum, you need one flight skill or 2 acro in a series. If you could get your round-off, that would count as your flight skill.
Yes, it's the lack of vertical acro. If there isn't an acro that passes through vertical the SV is 9.5. If she's doing a forward roll and a handstand that isn't vertical, it does not meet requirements.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back